Suggestions on projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-14-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, my wife and I are looking into sitting up a home theater/entertainment area in our basement. I was looking at various projector reviews and am having a hard deciding what fits what I want to do the best. I would plan on using it for watching football games, blu ray movies (2D & 3D), gaming (pc and xbox). For inputs it would probably just be a pc and the xbox as we already do all of our movie watching through the computer. I was looking at spending around $1500 or less. I had seen reviews on the BenQ W1080ST and the Epson 2030 that sounded good, but after reading a review on the W1080ST, I'm not sure if it would be too bright for a dark environment for the late night movie watching. Are there are other projectors that I should be looking at? The input lag is also somewhat of a concern. Most of my gaming right now is done on my Dell 30" which I believe has a 35ms input lag and I am fine with that for the games I play.

Also, depending on the room setup, I will either be working with a little over 12' of length for the room or 17'. I'm trying to propose a floor plan that would give me the 17'. Also, I'm looking at having a 106 or 120 inch screen. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfblaze View Post

Hello, my wife and I are looking into sitting up a home theater/entertainment area in our basement. I was looking at various projector reviews and am having a hard deciding what fits what I want to do the best. I would plan on using it for watching football games, blu ray movies (2D & 3D), gaming (pc and xbox). For inputs it would probably just be a pc and the xbox as we already do all of our movie watching through the computer. I was looking at spending around $1500 or less. I had seen reviews on the BenQ W1080ST and the Epson 2030 that sounded good, but after reading a review on the W1080ST, I'm not sure if it would be too bright for a dark environment for the late night movie watching. Are there are other projectors that I should be looking at? The input lag is also somewhat of a concern. Most of my gaming right now is done on my Dell 30" which I believe has a 35ms input lag and I am fine with that for the games I play.

Also, depending on the room setup, I will either be working with a little over 12' of length for the room or 17'. I'm trying to propose a floor plan that would give me the 17'. Also, I'm looking at having a 106 or 120 inch screen. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't worry about the brightness (2000 lumens) on the BenQ W1080ST since you will likely run it on eco mode which knock down the lumens. If you use the 3D feature it will be even less bright.

Concentrate on the features you're looking for and worry less on whether a projector is going to be too bright. I ran a 2800 lumen rated projector in eco mode and watching movies at night has never been a problem.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 3 Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I highly recommend the viewsonic pjd7820hd. This can be found for around $699, top rated for gaming, 1080p, 3d and let me tell you...the picture is AWESOME. I was a little skeptical at first because of some not so good ratings on picture quality but I took the plunge. Also has the best warranty (3 yr on pj and 1 yr on lamp). You will have lots of money left for other goodies for your theater (or buy something nice for the finance commitee)' I dont think you would be dissappointed in this one....I cetainly am not!

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030 3lcd Projector , Viewsonic Pjd7820hd Full Hd 1080p Projector
Gear in this thread - W1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page