indoor lighted large format projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-15-2013, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For my business (fast oil change) I want to project daily specials on a large white wall.

The shop is well lit, with a combination of indirect window daylight and flourescents. I can do either front or rear projection, although front will be simpler (for rear I need to cut open some dryboard).

Here are the dimensions:
screen area: 11'6"w x 8'h (maximum)
front projection distance from screen: 26'4"
rear projection distance from screen: 17'

This needs to look great; is this feasable?
Do I need a special screen, or is freshly painted dryboard acceptable?
What specifications should I be looking for in a projector? Minimum lumens, etc?

Many thanks in advance,
Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-15-2013, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
It's not possible to really answer these types of questions accurately without seeing the room in person, that said you could just buy a really bright projector somewhere that has a return policy to try it out.

As far as the screen material, some type of retro-reflective screen or gray screen might help for ambient light, but it depends on the angles that the viewers will be seeing the screen from (if at too much of an angle it could hurt more than it helps). If they are viewing at large angles, I suppose a regular uniform gain screen at around 1.4 gain could help by increasing brightness. You can also just paint a special type of screen paint onto any surface and use that, you will find more info for that in the DIY screen forums.

How big does the screen really need to be?
You could just wall mount an 80" Sharp LED, they cost about $3000 online. These handle ambient light much better than a projector would. Though the Sharp may have viewing angle issues of its own, but I don't know.

The reasons it's not possible to give an accurate answer online:
Depends what you mean by well lit and depends how big of a screen you want, as well as how much you are willing to spend.
Also depends on what angle people are viewing the screen from in relation to the angle of the lighting in the room.
Like if the room lights are between where the viewers and the screen will be, or if the lights are hitting the screen directly,
Well lit doesn't mean much to me, but I'll assume well lit in this case means about as bright as a department store.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 4 Old 09-15-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Coderguy,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know if more info will make it possible to answer my question, but here goes:

"Well lit" I meant about as much light in a home, not a department store.

The wall will be viewed only straight on, no angles at all.

The size is 11' x 8'. The screen can be smaller, that is the size of the wall space.

Best regards,
Daniel
post #4 of 4 Old 09-15-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Take a look at the Benq sh910 for about $1400 or the Optoma eh501 when it comes out at the end of the month. You can buy it from some place that allows returns, try it out and if you don't like the idea of a projector, return it. You should get a special screen material, or get someone to paint one for you.

Go to the screen section in the forums or DIY screen area for more info on screens, I don't know what your budget is and what you really want, and I don't keep up with screen prices.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page