Optoma HD131Xe Vs Optoma HD25e? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 87 Old 09-15-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The 25e is about $200 more and I'm trying to figure out what that extra money buys ...

Has anyone seen both of these in action? If the 25e has better black levels, it might be worth the extra cash, but if it is just additional lumens the 131 should be enough for me ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 09-16-2013, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Contrast ratio is different as well.
post #3 of 87 Old 09-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

Contrast ratio is different as well.

even if numbers are to be true,and not marketing gimmick,that doesn't justify the 200+
post #4 of 87 Old 09-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post

even if numbers are to be true,and not marketing gimmick,that doesn't justify the 200+

Actually it's $150, and higher lumens and slightly better contrast ratio might be worth it for some.
post #5 of 87 Old 09-16-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just wish I could see actual measurements for that contrast ratio, because as has been theorized elsewhere, the two projectors seem almost exactly the same but for price ... same chip, for instance.
post #6 of 87 Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat here, and trying to decide between these two. (Was going to go with the BenqW1070, but the throw distance is way to short for my room/77" screen, and fan noise complaints are also a concern)

If the lumens and contrast ratio are truly better with the 25e, even with the same, inexpensive bulb, then I'm going with the 25e (even though I do like the black casing over the white)

It would seem that the only bonus that the HD131Xe has over the 25e, is that it's RF 3d ready without the need for an emitter (unless I'm mistaken, because the info on the Optoma site is confusing = N/A regarding 3D details, and Amazon makes it sound like it's ready for both DLP Link AND RF, out of the box)
post #7 of 87 Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have the w1070. I run it in eco mode--it is plenty bright on my gray painted screen--and I don't find it to be noisy at all. I don't hear it, period. This is sitting on a low table a few feet in front of me.

I ultimately decided to order the HD131 as I could find no eyes on evidence that the HD25e is or is not an actual improvement over the 131, which should be here on Thursday.

Will try to do a half-assed mini-shootout between the 131 and the BenQ when I get the chance, if anyone's interested.
post #8 of 87 Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyhatton View Post

It would seem that the only bonus that the HD131Xe has over the 25e, is that it's RF 3d ready without the need for an emitter (unless I'm mistaken, because the info on the Optoma site is confusing = N/A regarding 3D details, and Amazon makes it sound like it's ready for both DLP Link AND RF, out of the box)

I'm pretty sure they both need an emitter for RF.
post #9 of 87 Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they both need an emitter for RF.

You are correct, I just verified this in an online chat with Optoma.

"yes it does require an RF emitter You: ok, thank you. The last question, it seems as though the two projectors are nearly identical, and even though they both use the same bulb (correct)?, the HD25e "magically" has higher lumens and contrast ratio (just looking to get a brighter 3D image, so leaning towards the HD25E) :-)

I've been online now for about 45 min. after asking the above 2nd question. At first, the guy tried to tell me that the HD25E uses a different bulb, but I let him know that the site comparison shows that they do. (In addition, if you go to accessories for each, also the same lamp) So... I will reply when I get the official answer (and I'm curious if he'll go on the explain how the HD25e achieves the better lumens/contrast ratio)
post #10 of 87 Old 09-17-2013, 10:00 AM

Okay, well I'm about to call BS on the HD25e's better lumens/contrast rating. EVERY spec (power consumption, chipset) is the same (other than the remote part#), and it's been about an hour and a half in this chat window, and dude still hasn't gotten back to me...
post #11 of 87 Old 09-17-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for trying to nail him down on that, davey. Optima is notorious for withholding information--like what type of color wheel a particular projector has, for instance.
post #12 of 87 Old 09-17-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

Thanks for trying to nail him down on that, davey. Optima is notorious for withholding information--like a what type of color wheel a particular projector has, for instance.

No problem, the experience was pretty frustrating, and if the hd131xe wasn't so slick, I'd probably find an alternative. So, he did confirm that the lamps are the same (duh), and while I told him that he didn't have to answer; "we" were still curious as to how the HD25e could boast greater lumens/contrast ratings with the same exact specs!!! (Never did get back to me) Heck, every picture on the Optoma site for each is exactly the same for both as well.

So, it is my opinion that these are same exact projectors, with a different color casing and different color remote (hence the different remote SKU) I'm pulling the trigger on the HD131XE...
post #13 of 87 Old 09-17-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

No problem, the experience was pretty frustrating, and if the hd131xe wasn't so slick, I'd probably find an alternative. So, he did confirm that the lamps are the same (duh), and while I told him that he didn't have to answer; "we" were still curious as to how the HD25e could boast greater lumens/contrast ratings with the same exact specs!!! (Never did get back to me) Heck, every picture on the Optoma site for each is exactly the same for both as well.

So, it is my opinion that these are same exact projectors, with a different color casing and different color remote (hence the different remote SKU) I'm pulling the trigger on the HD131XE...

I'm betting that you're right and that's why I ordered the 131 as well, but I'm not sure you can judge by the identical casing because I believe Optima has re-used the same basic casing for different models in the past.
post #14 of 87 Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM

Well, just ordered the HD131Xe, 3 pairs of Sainsonic DLP Link glasses, a Sony 3d Blu-Ray player, and two new HDMI cables... (Couldn't remember if mine were 1.4, supporting 3d or not) Fortunately, my recently purchased low-end (although still kicks butt) Yamaha VX373 receiver supports 3D blahbiddy blahs, so looking forward to the weekend!
post #15 of 87 Old 09-17-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This puzzle with the specs and difference between the two is the same dilemma they had with the HD25 and the HD25-LV. They both have the same bulb and power specs but wildly different reported lumens. Never did hear a satisfactory response as to what made them different either
post #16 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Finally noticed an actual difference. The lens of the HD25e is more open than that of the 131Xe. Maybe this is how they claim the higher lumens of the 25e, since the smaller opening of the lens on the 131Xe would restrict light output. Not saying it is actually worth it, but at least it is an actual difference. It's pretty crappy of them if the only difference is one that they imposed by intentionally dumbing one down.

post #17 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I have the w1070. I run it in eco mode--it is plenty bright on my gray painted screen--and I don't find it to be noisy at all. I don't hear it, period. This is sitting on a low table a few feet in front of me.

I ultimately decided to order the HD131 as I could find no eyes on evidence that the HD25e is or is not an actual improvement over the 131, which should be here on Thursday.

Will try to do a half-assed mini-shootout between the 131 and the BenQ when I get the chance, if anyone's interested.

Yes! I would love to see these two head to head
post #18 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 01:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

Yes! I would love to see these two head to head

I second that motion. A short side by side video comparison would be awesome!
post #19 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Please don't do this half-assed. Had I known people (like yourself) would have been so skeptical of my comparison of the HD131Xe and the W1070, I would have been much more thorough and documented it better. Take the opportunity that you have to clearly layout the differences. And be sure to pick a sides whatever that will be. Doesn't do anyone any good to straddle the line and be political here.
post #20 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, just ordered the HD131Xe, 3 pairs of Sainsonic DLP Link glasses, a Sony 3d Blu-Ray player, and two new HDMI cables... (Couldn't remember if mine were 1.4, supporting 3d or not) Fortunately, my recently purchased low-end (although still kicks butt) Yamaha VX373 receiver supports 3D blahbiddy blahs, so looking forward to the weekend!

If you can, cancel the order on the Sainsonics and get the Estar glasses. They seem to be identical to the OEM ones by Optoma. I have the Sainsonics and I can say they are very fragile.
post #21 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 AM

I agree with niggenz, cancel the sansonics, and order the Estars, I have them and they are sturdy and I like how responsive they are. Also they are identical to the optoma ones. I bought four and yeah they are more expensive then the sansonics, but I think they are worth it. They are cheaper then some of the high end 3d glasses out there. You will need the RF emitter though.

I do have this question though for anyone out there, will the Estar rf emitter work in place of the Optoma one? Because you can get the kit Estar 6100 for $59.00 with the 3d emitter from estar and to tell; you the truth it looks identical to the Optoma, the cable it comes with is the same also, and you would save around 30 bucks if you bought the kit vs the rf optoma alone.

http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-ESG6000-RF-3D-Glasses/dp/B00D341DUQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1
http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-ESG6100-RF-3D-Starter/dp/B00D39AUCI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-BG-BC100B-3D-RF-Emitter-Only/dp/B00A8ZYGAC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2
post #22 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 08:14 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow34 View Post

I agree with niggenz, cancel the sansonics, and order the Estars, I have them and they are sturdy and I like how responsive they are. Also they are identical to the optoma ones. I bought four and yeah they are more expensive then the sansonics, but I think they are worth it. They are cheaper then some of the high end 3d glasses out there. You will need the RF emitter though.

I do have this question though for anyone out there, will the Estar rf emitter work in place of the Optoma one? Because you can get the kit Estar 6100 for $59.00 with the 3d emitter from estar and to tell; you the truth it looks identical to the Optoma, the cable it comes with is the same also, and you would save around 30 bucks if you bought the kit vs the rf optoma alone.

http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-ESG6000-RF-3D-Glasses/dp/B00D341DUQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1
http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-ESG6100-RF-3D-Starter/dp/B00D39AUCI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-BG-BC100B-3D-RF-Emitter-Only/dp/B00A8ZYGAC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2
The Estar emitter works fine. I had the Optoma emitter and sent it back as the Estar emitter and glasses work just as well and a good bit cheaper.
post #23 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 AM

Well... good for anyone that is able to do it, I already bought the optoma one and bought four of the nonkit versions. I will just eat the cost. But good info for anyone else.
post #24 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 09:01 AM

Thanks guys, my order already shipped from amazon but I will definitely keep the Estars in mind when/if these suckers break!
post #25 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Finally noticed an actual difference. The lens of the HD25e is more open than that of the 131Xe. Maybe this is how they claim the higher lumens of the 25e, since the smaller opening of the lens on the 131Xe would restrict light output. Not saying it is actually worth it, but at least it is an actual difference. It's pretty crappy of them if the only difference is one that they imposed by intentionally dumbing one down.

Man, the lens on the 131 looks tiny.
post #26 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

If you guys read the initial review on Amazon, which really is just enthusiast information rather than an actual review, he sort of is hinting that he believes that the difference in projector brightness is achieved with VIDI technology or flexible lamp drive schemes. This guy is really knowledgeable but many actual owners called him out what he posted (I think us owners squared that away with him though). If you can look past the fact that is not an actual user review and digest the info, there is a lot of knowledge to be gained. And if he is right, then this explains how Optoma is able achieve increased performance with the same components. It explains how the following projectors which have the same listed components,

HD25 & HD25-LV, or HD25e & HD131Xe,

have different performance. This is really smart by Optoma. Rather than re-engineering a different SKU, they are taking the flexibility that is offered to them from already using the TI chips to fully occupy all pricing niches in the sub-$1000 class projector.

Bottom-line, its very plausible IMO that the difference in performance of these projectors is a result of different firmware.

Here is the info he posted on Amazon.
Here is the link to the VIDI technology explanation.
augiedoggy likes this.
post #27 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Man, the lens on the 131 looks tiny.

The lenses look the same to me guys smile.gif. LoL!
post #28 of 87 Old 09-21-2013, 07:07 AM

Hey everybody I think Cable is right the hd25e's lens radius is definitely larger than the hd131xe
post #29 of 87 Old 09-22-2013, 03:40 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by niggenz View Post

The lenses look the same to me guys smile.gif. LoL!

+1 The part of the lens that makes the HD25 look bigger appears to be a black plastic ring around the actual lens.
post #30 of 87 Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by niggenz View Post

If you guys read the initial review on Amazon, which really is just enthusiast information rather than an actual review, he sort of is hinting that he believes that the difference in projector brightness is achieved with VIDI technology or flexible lamp drive schemes. This guy is really knowledgeable but many actual owners called him out what he posted (I think us owners squared that away with him though). If you can look past the fact that is not an actual user review and digest the info, there is a lot of knowledge to be gained. And if he is right, then this explains how Optoma is able achieve increased performance with the same components. It explains how the following projectors which have the same listed components,

HD25 & HD25-LV, or HD25e & HD131Xe,

have different performance. This is really smart by Optoma. Rather than re-engineering a different SKU, they are taking the flexibility that is offered to them from already using the TI chips to fully occupy all pricing niches in the sub-$1000 class projector.

Bottom-line, its very plausible IMO that the difference in performance of these projectors is a result of different firmware.

Here is the info he posted on Amazon.
Here is the link to the VIDI technology explanation.
,?I ha e been saying the same thing.. the sticker on the bottom just says hdvenue where both my hd65 and hd66 say their respective model numbers.... the hd131 instead has a separate sticker on the side with serial number and a "COA " product code... no doubt referencing the firmware difference.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page