Best projector under $2200: Panasonic PT-AE8000u or Benq W1070 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-17-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Goal: to get the best PQ while achieving **HUGE** improvements in video quality over my Acer 5360.

It may seem like an unfair comparison. One is LCD and the other is DLP. One is entry level and the other is considered mid-to-high end. However, Benq w1070 is getting so much buzz that it appears that one has to spend few times in price to get any real gain in quality. So, that is what I am contemplating. My budget is limited but not very limited. I have narrowed it down to either Benq w1070 or Panasonic PT-AE8000u. I can buy Benq for $900 or Panasonic for $2150 (grey market). My simple question for any who have seen these or have a good sense of which numbers to pay attention to in reviews/specs is this: would Panasonic offer *significantly* better picture quality (both 2D and 3D) to justify the 2.5 times the price? Panasonic is loaded with features and none of those matter to me so I would not want to factor those. It is simply based on 2D/3D video performance in a light controlled dark room using a 120" 1.3 gain screen.

I briefly considered Benq W7000 as well but gave up because I read that video wise, it does not beat w1070.

If you had similar objective of getting not only the best picture possible (both 2D/3D) for under $2200, but also wanted best bang for the buck (i.e. increase in price had to reflect in *substantial* improvement in PQ), which one would you pick?

A request: please avoid using the term "...for the price...". I never really know what it means smile.gif
I am simply after the best PQ with huge improvements over my Acer 5360.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Look at the optomas. Similar to the benq but brighter and crisper 3d.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I would go out of my way to avoid that panasonic if I were you ...

http://hometheaterreview.com/panasonic-pt-ae8000u-3d-hd-front-projector-reviewed/
post #4 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
If I had a budget of $1000 to say $3000 and were shopping today, I would most likely first only look at 2 different projectors. The first being the Sharp xvz-30000, and the other a JVC B-Stock or a new JVC RS-46.

That said, if you want good 3D, the JVC is eliminated and that leaves the Sharp xvz-30000, which also happens to do pretty darn well in 2D.

The Sharp xvz-30000 should give you a better improvement in PQ over the Benq w1070 in both 2D and 3D, so it's worth the extra cash. Of course it still depends on how big of a screen you have or will buy. You can find them online for under $2,500 from a camera place http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?csv=gg&products_id=45442&gclid=CKGahbuu1bkCFUVk7AoddjQArg

That is what I would buy if I were you, unless it's over what you want to spend, then in the under $2000 NEW market, you aren't really going to find a projector to beat the w1070 in all respects unless you go used or B-STOCK, you might beat it in 3D but probably not in 2D. The new Optomas (hd25e, hd25-lv, hd131xe) are decent choices as well, and they have different strengths/weaknesses than the Benqs. The Benqs have RGBRGB color wheels and better OOTB color, the Optomas have a white segment in the color wheel. The Benqs are said to have a sharper lens, I've seen the Benqs but not the Optomas.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Not to hijack this thread, but coderguy, are you sure the Optimas have a white segment in the color wheel and what do you think the significance of this is?

EDIT: Never mind about the significance--I see it is supposed to provide a brighter image at the expense of brighter colors--but how do you know the new Optimas like the HD25 have this? From what I can find online the HD25 is said to have a six segment wheel which should indicate that they don't have a white segment, if I understand this correctly, which I might not. Either way Optima is tight lipped when it comes to color wheel specs, so what is your source for the white segment information?
post #6 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Based on picture quality, I would take an entry level DLP over a high end LCD any day, even if they were the same price.

David
post #7 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I thought I read they did, but it looks like that was only the Optoma hd25-LV (maybe).

Still for 2d I would put my bets on the Benq, but who knows.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #8 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Light passing through the LCD panels tends to make the image a bit harsh. The resulting image has sort of an artificial look or haze. It just comes with the territory. But you might be sensitive to rainbows if you go with DLP. Before you decide, get to a HT retailer and do a thorough demo of a DLP projector. Take whoever you will use it with along with you to make sure no one can see rainbows. If anyone does, you can completely rule out a DLP projector. Both technologies have their drawbacks.That being said, I find my preference is for DLP for the much smoother and natural image.

Also, in that price range, if the Optoma HD25e or HD131Xe can work in your room dimensions, I would get one or the other over the W1070. I owned the W1070, returned it, and now have the HD131Xe. I just found that the W1070 was really weak in shadow detail performance and darker scenes and high contrast scenes looked flat and had no pop. I find the HD131Xe produces a better image.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Optoma HD-25 and Benq w1070

In their review at ProjectorCentral, they said that w1070 and HD-25 are essentially the same projectors when it comes to image quality. They could not pick one over the other.

This was their conclusion:

Competition in the HD25's market segment is particularly fierce this year, with projectors like the BenQ W1070 providing stiff competition. The two projectors are more alike than they are different; however, the HD25 is a better projector for those users primarily concerned with 3D viewing (thanks to RF glasses), portable use (due to the HD25's better onboard speakers), or gaming (thanks to less input lag). On the other hand, the W1070's better placement flexibility will appeal to many potential buyers. Whichever projector you choose, the end result is a beautiful home theater image at a bargain price.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshah2000 View Post

Optoma HD-25 and Benq w1070

In their review at ProjectorCentral, they said that w1070 and HD-25 are essentially the same projectors when it comes to image quality. They could not pick one over the other.

This was their conclusion:

Competition in the HD25's market segment is particularly fierce this year, with projectors like the BenQ W1070 providing stiff competition. The two projectors are more alike than they are different; however, the HD25 is a better projector for those users primarily concerned with 3D viewing (thanks to RF glasses), portable use (due to the HD25's better onboard speakers), or gaming (thanks to less input lag). On the other hand, the W1070's better placement flexibility will appeal to many potential buyers. Whichever projector you choose, the end result is a beautiful home theater image at a bargain price.

That is a frustrating review. I really wished he picked one side or the other there because ultimately that whole shootout section that you quoted is academic. It doesn't help anyone making a choice between the two. Especially, if the concern is strictly image quality because having owned both, I can say they are not equal. Someone commented on Steve Withers' review of the W1070 asking which one is better, W1070 or HD25. Steve was gracious enough to give his opinion. Even if you disagree, at least you can respect that he gave his opinion. There are few comparative reviews because not many will have the opportunity to have experience with both. But in the few I found, the Optoma was the choice where image quality was strictly the concern. I am in agreement with the Optoma camp from my own experience after having owned the W1070 for 50 of usage and from owning the HD131Xe now. The OP is asking for an opinionated choice for best picture quality within a certain price range. I am just offering my opinion of the Optoma HD series as a same priced alternative to the W1070 that he is already considering, in case he may have overlooked the Optoma HD25e or HD131Xe.

I also like coderguy's mention of the JVC as a slightly more expensive alternative. If I didn't just buy a house, I would be looking in this class and price range as well.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggenz View Post

Especially, if the concern is strictly image quality because having owned both, I can say they are not equal. .

So Optoma HD25 or HD131xe is a better option than Benq if image quality is the top priority. Thanks for the comments. May I ask if you agree that there is really no difference between HD25 and HD131xe? I have read elsewhere that both are essentially same but Optoma sells the HD25 for about $200 more for no apparent reason...
post #12 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Funny you ask that because I just posted something on that today. You can read it here. But yeah, the HD25e and HD131Xe seem to built of the same components. The higher performance of the HD25e seems to be a result of different firmware. This is what I surmise but no way to be sure unless there is an NSA-like leak from within Optoma. Also on that thread, one of the posters was sitting on the fence between the W1070 and the HD131Xe for about two weeks. He picked up the W1070 a week ago because I think he didn't feel comfortable with enough users having owned the HD131Xe yet over the W1070 to get a good impression of it. This week, he is getting the HD131Xe. He will have both in his possession at the same time. Actually this will happen tomorrow. I asked him to do a really thorough comparison of the two. So good timing; you will be able to see an actual user review/comparison between the two as it unfolds. But bear in mind, it is still personal preference. There is one comparison of the two that I found that favors the W1070.

As for the HD25, you should know it was last years model and is discontinued. It was replaced with the HD25e which is about 2 months old. The HD25e has slightly higher performance over the older HD25 (lumens and contrast), different bulb, lower power draw (I think that is it)
post #13 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, last year's HD25 and HD131X were the same save for a black case and the HD131X not coming with 3D glasses. The HD131X was only sold in Europe. But here in the US, those Optoma projectors didn't come with glasses anyway. So the only difference really was case coloring. This year's updated HD25e and HD131Xe have slightly different performance specs (maybe) for the reason I stated above.

Confused yet? smile.gif
post #14 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Liked: 10
OPTOMA CANT EVEN TELL YOU ABOUT THEIR OWN PROJECTORS! This fact scares me very much. I want a customer service rep to be able to find or have info off the top of their heads these units have been out over a year.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Acer H5360 3d Dlp Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page