Upgrading my "garage" projector, need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-18-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few years ago I bought a Sanyo PLV-Z700 on eBay. It was my first projector; I was a projector newbie, and I have been thrilled with my purchase and experience. The price was definitely right as I got it for less than $800. This thing still wows visitors to my home for night viewing.

Ahh, but there's the rub. This is a 2008 projector, and it has "only"1600 lumens. I do love the fact that it has lens shift and two HDMI inputs. I am, however, ready to upgrade.

Here's my challenge. My projector is set up in my garage! I use the garage as a part time entertainment room for, maybe, 20-25 times a year - mainly for sports or movie viewing. I do have a very nice screen that provides a 108" image.

My goal is to be able to use the projector earlier in the day with some amount of light entering the room. I can control most of the light, but the temperature in the garage demands I open the door at least partly. I think I need a brighter projector! Preferably 2500 lumens or more. So I am looking for suggestions. I have no problem buying used or refurb; I would love to keep my budget under $1200 or even under $1000. So far I am looking at the Optoma HD25e, the BenQ W1070, and various models from both Epson and Viewsonic.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Buy an air conditioner. A brighter projector might help with sports but any dark scenes in a movie will be unwatchable. Your in SC its got to be HOT!! even with the door open that's got to hurt the projector also.
calvinb likes this.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Stick to an LCD. You never know which one of your guests that might come over and is the 1 out of 10 that is sensitive to the rainbow effect (RBE) with a DLP projector (don't quote me on that frequency though). Play it safe.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

Buy an air conditioner. A brighter projector might help with sports but any dark scenes in a movie will be unwatchable. Your in SC its got to be HOT!! even with the door open that's got to hurt the projector also.

I bought an air conditioner! And it helps tremendously - it is hot here in Upstate SC. And you are correct about dark scenes. They are borderline unwatchable.

For "most" of our viewing events, my current Sanyo does a pretty good job. But you are correct, anything dark is really poor. I am starting to be disappointed in most of what I watch though (my guests think it's great). Any suggestions on a LCD upgrade with a brighter image? Do I need more contrast?

Thanks guys!
post #5 of 7 Old 09-19-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
No you need a darker room, brighter will only help minimize the effect in presentations and sports.

I'd spend 1200 on a 60 inch tv. We had a misu in ours with no AC and it was ok with the door cracked. Have to leave it mostly closed or you are pissing in the wind.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

V2, thanks for the input. Like I said, at night (while dark) the Sanyo still does a pretty good job. But it could be better.

We actually watch very few movies in the garage (I have a 60" inside). We use the projector for mostly sports and some gaming for the kids. I am just looking for suggestions for a relatively inexpensive upgrade. If 2500 lumens would allow us to watch football at 4 pm rather than waiting until 7 pm, I am willing to spend $1xxx or so to upgrade. Heck I could probably sell the Sanyo on Craigslist or eBay. Just looking for suggested models. Thanks again for the advice!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Just one more quick question: Projector Central's calculator tells me the fL rating for my projector at 14'9" is 11fL. Another projector's rating is 32fL. Can I assume that projector's picture will be significantly brighter and "better" - especially during the day but also while dark? Thanks for any more feedback.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page