Dust blobs in Vioewsonic PJD6235 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-21-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I know this topic has probably been covered ad nauseam in this forum, but I'm new here, and a simple google search has less results; so if I'm being repetitive to past posts I apologize to all the veterans in advance.

When I put the projector in "blank" mode I can see the blobs quite clearly; this is the same as a very dark (or nearly black) scene in a movie. Now, when I defocus the lens totally, the blobs sharpen up and look like a starry sky (there's quite a few of them, but only the biggest ones show up as blobs in focusewd viewing; I suppose others may decrease contrast or something but this is not noticeable enough to be annoying).

When I stare into the lens at an angle (even in blank mode, the light is quite bright...) I can actually see the dust particles.

My question is this: Am I seeing dust stuck to the reflector mirror? That's what it seems like; BUT:

In out-of-focus, the "stars" also show outside the black square of the projected image, SO - does this mean I also have dust on the back of the lens.

AND FINALLY: Is the lens assembly airtight? can dust enter INSIDE between the lenses?

The projector is just 2 months old and within warranty. I am quite technically minded (I'm a watchmaker) but prefer to take it to the service center to fix. But if this problem will recur (I live in a dusty area, near the desert), is it very dangerous/difficult to clean on my own? the service center is a good one-hour drive away.

And also - are these things normally covered by the warranty? specifically in Viewsonic, I mean. Does anyone here know?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-21-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Yes they should be covered under warranty. I had about six blobs on my epson 1080ub. I opened up the top and used a bulb type sqeezer with a 2 inch cut tube. Puffed away down each panels ribbon connector while the black image was up and just blew them all away.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #3 of 4 Old 09-21-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Yes they should be covered under warranty. I had about six blobs on my epson 1080ub. I opened up the top and used a bulb type sqeezer with a 2 inch cut tube. Puffed away down each panels ribbon connector while the black image was up and just blew them all away.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #4 of 4 Old 09-22-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I just spoke to a person at the service center and he said it may be a faulty DMD chip.

Could this be true if I also see the blobs OUTSIDE the projected image (as far as I understand the technology, the projected square IS the image of the DMD square, but magnified...).

Would this mean that I have dust on the back of the projecting lens - or another lens - which sits between the color wheel and DMD?

Wouldn't a faulty DMD show as dead pixels?

Guitarman - thanks, but I wouldn't want to blow air into the projector when it is connected to the mains and on.

Can anyone here tell me why Viewsonic projectors (at least the model I have) have no dust filters?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pjd6235 Xga Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page