Plz Help Make Sense of These Image Brightness Numbers in Context of 3D Viewing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been doing quite a bit of research to find a suitable projector to replace my Acer 5360. Nothing wrong with it but I just have the "itch" to upgrade to 1080p. After a very bad experience, not to mention several hundred dollars of loss when reselling it, with Epson 3020 (compared to Acer 5360, that is), I am very cautious before I pull the plug on my next purchase.

Image brightness in 3D is important to me. My current project (Acer 5360) does great (!) 3D with absolutely no cross talk or flicker. But it is NVidia 3D Vision based. There is a definite loss in image brightness when viewing it with NVidia 3D glasses. It could be due to darker LCD in NVidia 3D VIsion glasses (note to self: try DLP glasses which may improve brightness). Ever since I have started reading prospective projectors' reviews, I have noticed that one criteria used by reviewers is how bright 3D image is. So, I decided to do some homework in this regard.

Following image brightness numbers were gathered from ProjectorCentral's throw distance calculator. 120" screen. Throw Distance ~14ft to make it comparable to how far back my Acer 5360 is from the screen. Screen Gain: 1.0.

Acer 5360: 28 fL. I am using this projector at the moment.

Epson 3020: 20 fL. I owned it and didn't like it at all compared to Acer 5360.
Acer 5370: 28 fl
Acer 6510: 32 fl
Benq W1070: 19 fl (13 feet...max zoom out 1.0x).
Benq w7000: 23 fl
Optoma 131Xe: 26 fl
Optoma 25e: 29 fl
Panasonic PT-AE8000: 19 fl
ViewSonic PJD7820HD: 59fl (13 feet...max zoom out 1.0x)

I realize that these numbers are not for 3D image brightness, but I figured that the general image brightness must have some indication of what the 3D brightness would be like. If my logic is right, then what I see is not very encouraging when it comes to some of the top rated projectors I have considered. Let's discuss a few:

Epson 3020: image brightness of 20 fl is quit a bit less than Acer 5360's 28 fl. And it reflected all over in my personal experience. I was not impressed with it and at a loss for a reason frown.gif
Acer 6510: image is brighter than 5360's. Does it mean its 3D would be equally brighter as well?
Benq w1070: image brightness is quite low compared to 5360. Does it mean that its 3D image would be even darker than what I get in 5360?
Panasonic 8000: this projector is cited for its bright 3D image. But its regular image brightness is only 19fl which is quite a bit less than 5360's 28 fl. Does it mean that its 3D would not be as bright as what I get in 5360?

I am hoping someone will help me make sense of these numbers? Is my thinking along the right track, or am I wasting my time because regular image brightness numbers do not have correlation to how bright 3D image would be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your thinking is pretty much correct. Man that Viewsonic seems like a light pumping monster by comparisons. For whatever reason, I have a perception from experience that ultra short throw projectors seem to be generally or at least have a higher perceived brightness in 3D. I have no technical information or reason for it though. They just seem to lose less light when in 3D.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Your thinking is pretty much correct. .
Hmmm.... so it means that even the best from these list would only be as bright in 3D as the Acer 5360 that I have, right? That's kind of a bummer because I was really hoping that one of these other projectors would give me a brighter 3D image.... frown.gif
Old 09-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It does suck that none of the projectors are bright enough for 3d, but don't forget, these pjs are really bright compared to what they were even a few years ago with the picture quality we get now. Also keep in mind the standard of brightness for lumens is around 12-16 which is what you would get at a movie theater. From what I remember, for 3d, movie theaters are supposed to have a minimum of 4 lumens for 3d. If you have the screen in a dark theater like room, then getting the picture ultra bright can be fatiguing on the eyes, and so something like 59 lumens of that one pj is way to bright for nighttime viewing (non 3d). Now if you watch in the daytime, it would be great, that's why tvs are so nice, because some put out 100 lumens.

I think you may be used to your bright pj and so nothing is going to look great in 3d for you. The viewsonic might be bright enough, but Im not so sure the picture quality and black level would even come close to something like the panny 8000, guess it depends on what your looking for. I very much desire a brighter picture and might just go the route of double stacking because this would double the lumens for 3d without getting crazy expensive. Epson does have some other new pjs coming out to the tune of 4, 5 and 6000 lumens, hopefully they do 3d, as this would solve problems for some of us. Don't expect the contrast ratio to be real high, but you could have the brightest picture you want. Of course they might be more than you want to spend. I think the prices will range between 4 and 6 something grand
Old 09-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
A think a high gain screen is the solution you're looking for.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

I think I should really stop looking for a new projector at the moment because it appears that a new projector would not give me anything over my Acer 5360. Yes, it is 720p but from where I set (approximately 13 ft from the screen), the pixel structure disappears and I am very happy with the sharpness and PQ I get. I guess I should really save my money for another 2 years or so and buy something then as those future generation projectors would offer a true upgrade....
Old 09-23-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 153
For the best 2D experience in projectors, you have to forego 3D.

I would not base my upgrade decision on 3D alone, unless you are a 3D fanatic. I would look at the B-Stock JVC's, sometimes they come well under $2000, and they will make the Acer look like a toy when comparing 2d movies. I would suggest keeping the Acer for 3D, and going with a projector that is more weighted to 2D.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I would suggest keeping the Acer for 3D, and going with a projector that is more weighted to 2D.
That is an interesting option which I had toyed with before. Now, based on hard numbers before me, I am thinking of considering it more seriously. I read in another forum that DLP Link glasses were even darker than NVidia 3DVision. I don't watch much of 3D. Like any other typical setup, may be less than 5% viewing is 3D.

The only issue I would face with keeping both is that when ceiling mounted one would be blocking the other. JVC's may have lens shift so I may be able to get away with installing them a little to the side so that its ceiling mount pole doesn't obstruct JVC's throw. Or not. Any ideas?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, robust lens shift makes it easy to mount the projector off center. You just produce a squared up image and shift it onto to screen. Real easy.

Tags
Acer H5360 3d Dlp Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Acer H5370bd Dlp 3d Projector , Acer H6510bd Dlp 3d Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Viewsonic Pjd7820hd Full Hd 1080p Projector