Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-23-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Hi all,

I've spent the majority of the past year becoming well acquainted with the audio side of things - building, measuring, swapping equipment furiously to get where I am now. Please excuse my 'newbness' when it comes to the video side of things.

Now that my audio and screen situation are addressed, I'm looking at possible upgrades for my Epson 8700UB. I'm not convinced I need 3d in the new setup, but I will consider if if it's worthwhile. For sure I would like motorized lens control and high brightness/light output. I do enjoy my Epson for most blu ray content, but I'm not convinced it produces the smoothest picture when watching football and other sports. I also find that I have to bump the color mode up to 'living room' or 'dynamic' mode to achieve acceptable brightness. I have NOT had my projector calibrated, but not sure how significant of a difference this may make.

Screen: Seymour XD 130" 16:9
Room: Darkened walls, ceiling to be addressed with black panels shortly. Mostly light controlled.

My question is can I improve significantly while staying under a 3K MSRP projector?? If so, what can you recommend? Is my $$ better spent getting a professional calibration (or buying equipment to do it myself)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-23-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
How many hours are on the lamp in the projector. The unit is not that old and things have not changes that much in the projector world. Biggest changes I see are in the focus on 3D and lower prices for seemingly more options at a lower build quality cost..
So with a 130" 16:9 screen, and a projector that puts out 1600 Lumen according the manufacture, I would say to either buy a new OEM lamp for your current projector if you have close to or over 1500 hours on the original (not a cheap nockoff lamp). Calibrating the projector will drop the light output not increase it.

Other option is to make a lateral move to a new projector that puts out more light.. but you may not see a significant improvement in any other aspect of the image.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input. I have about 400-500 on the lamp as of now, so not too many. At this point I'm leaning toward just keeping what I have.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
One thing to note, once you have treated the ceiling and wall, you will think you got a new projector.. It will be a BIG improvement... happy dance type improvement...
post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Keep what you have. The 8700UB (I have one) is hard to beat unless you spend a LOT more money. Improvements right now are incremental at best unless you get into 3 chip DLP units.

The best thing for ANY projector is room treatment. It is also possible that after 500 hours or so the lamp may have lost a lot of brightness. It's a crapshoot with lamps.... you never know.
Some are hosed at 300 hours, others run 6K!

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK sounds good. In the next few weeks I'd like to order the black ceiling panels to try out. I'll probably start by doing the first 3 rows.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm actually pretty happy with the 8700, but always looking to improve, you know?

Looking at this stuff in the 2x2 panels:

http://www.protostar.biz/flockboard.htm
post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It's one of those if it ain't broke, don't fix it things. As you'll see, room treatment makes a bigger impact on picture than another projector. Dark rooms dramatically improve overall contrast and punch to the image.

I actually came from CRT, got the 8700ub as a bridge to LED/Laser technology. I'm happy with the 8700ub, everything else in that class is only an incremental if tiny improvement. Waiting for the next larger leap in projection technology and
hope the epson lasts long enough.

Welcome to the darkside.....
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page