Whats the ideal offset for a room with 8 foot ceilings (ceiling mounted ) ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-24-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 170
So, in looking for projectors over the years, I've always ran into the problem of ceiling height. My theater room is my former garage, and the ceilings in there are about 8 feet and 1 1/2 inches. In my situation, ceiling mounting the projector is an absolute must. So this really limits my selection process, because I don't want to have the bottom of my screen mere inches from the ground. I prefer my screens high up on the wall, at the proper eye level for somebody sitting in the front row.

I've been recommended the Mitsubishi HC4000 a number of times, but after finding out about the offset, I knew that it would be a major PITA to try to get one of those to work in my setup. I'm not interested in slightly tilting the projector upwards or anything like that.

At one point, I actually considered cutting a hole in my ceiling, and also cutting into the ceiling a wee bit for the light pathway, to try to come up with a solution for these harsh offsets that seem to be very commonplace now. The theory was, that I could cut a hole into the ceiling, as well as cutting open the area for the beginning part of the light beam pathway, and basically creating some type of retrofit solution. Later, I decided against the idea, because I feel like it's too much drama to go through, just to make sure one certain projector would work in my room situation. What happens when that projector is 4 or 5 years old and I'm looking for a new one? Will the new one have the same offset and mounting distance ? Not necessarily, so to go to great lengths to cut a hole in the ceiling just to accommodate one specific projector, seems a bit much.

Anyways, I know there must be other guys out there with 8 foot ceilings that want to ceiling mount. How are you guys dealing with the offset on these projectors ?

Note: the current projector that I'm using is a Optoma HD7100 which actually has "zero" offset. While zero offset is ok, one of the downsides to zero offset is that you have to use a telescoping type pole mount, to lower it enough, so that the lens is lined up with the top of the screen. The downside to this, is that the projector ends up closer to the viewer, and sound from the projector can be distracting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 55
You didn't say what size screen or throw distance your talking about. The newer Optoma's HD33,HD25 and HD131 are about 8" offset for a 110" screen and should not be an issue with a 8' ceiling. IF your talking about 150" screen then it will be getting close to the floor and you will need some vertical len shift. The BenQ 1070 has some lens shift might work and 7000 a lot of shift

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 3 Old 09-24-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

You didn't say what size screen or throw distance your talking about. The newer Optoma's HD33,HD25 and HD131 are about 8" offset for a 110" screen and should not be an issue with a 8' ceiling. IF your talking about 150" screen then it will be getting close to the floor and you will need some vertical len shift. The BenQ 1070 has some lens shift might work and 7000 a lot of shift

The 16:9 area of the screen would be 126 inches diagonally (approximately). As for throw distance, the farther the better. Unfortunately my HD7100 is a short throw projector, I'd rather have one that has a longer throw.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page