yet another: help choosing projector for my particular situation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-28-2013, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lots of computer experience, but I've never owned my own projector. Factors to consider:

-Budget: $2500
-displaying 1080p mkv movies from my computer's HDMI in classrooms that will always have a significant amount of ambient light
-7ft pre-installed screens. I don't know screens either. I'd assume these are considered mediocre at best.
-Since the classroom can sometimes be crowded, the closer to the screen I can set up, the better to keep things out of harm's way.
-pre-installed room audio from my computer's 3.5mm stereo out
-I don't need multiple inputs or fancy audio capabilities, and reduced weight is a plus, but not a big deal.
-usage: 25 hours per year, so don't care about lamp life. But if we love it, then up to 300 hours per year.

I hope I've listed all the relevant factors here. When looking at the specs for the many choices, I simply don't have the experience to know what kind of differences there will be in the images. I believe I simply want the best possible image for the money and don't care about any other features. If I could get a list of about 5 candidates, I'm ready to roll the dice just to get the thing up and running as soon as possible. As I said, I'm willing to spend $2500 if I can get many years of service (except for lamp replacements). But if spending $800 sacrifices image quality only marginally, then I'd prefer to save the money.

MacBook Retina, Sony VAIO Z226
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

The best candidates that I can actually find for sale in my location (otherwise I have to import) are:

Epson EH-TW5200
BenQ w1080ST

Any opinions, at least, between these two?

post #3 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 06:48 AM

Liked: 17
I thought you would be considering a high brightness business projector, but your movies only requirement is probably making you look for video projectors.

For "regular" 1080p projector, you have a budget which casts a pretty wide net. Here is a list of only some of the 1080p projectors in this price range:

Acer 6510
Benq W1070
Benq w1080
Benq w7000
Optoma 131Xe
Optoma 25e
Optoms 25-LV
Panasonic PT-AE8000 (grey market)
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
Acer 9500
ViewSonic Pro8200
Epson 8345/8350
...etc etc

Given your needs, you should otherwise be OK with sub $1000 category. But the high brightness and 1080p requirements may compel you to consider business class projectors. NEC PE401H is a nice 1080 projector (4000 lumens). If you want to stick with video/home theatre projectors, then from the ones listed above, for short throw, Benq w1080 is a good choice. But for a classroom with lots of ambient light and daytime usage, it would most likely be not bright enough. Take a look at Optoma 25-LV or ViewSonic PJD7820HD, which are both considerably brighter than the bunch. I just have a feeling that even these will not be bright enough and you may want to consider a high brightness business class projector.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshah2000 View Post

I just have a feeling that even these will not be bright enough and you may want to consider a high brightness business class projector.
Thanks. That's the thing: due to lack of experience, I don't know what I want. And there's really no way to test it in the places where it will be used before I purchase, so I'm relying on experienced people, and I'm willing to overspend to make sure my problem is solved. The keyword for me to throw out next time I go window shopping is "high brightness business class projector." If that type is overqualified for my situation, I think I could make use of the flexibility in the future. Perhaps the salespeople might have perceived me as a glorified home consumer and didn't want to try what they thought to be an outrageous upsell, and I didn't yell out that I'm willing to spend double what they're showing me. The other problem is that I'm in a location where my ability with the native language is limited.

For now, it appears that Epson, Optoma, and BenQ are the most easily available brands in my location. Can you recommend high brightness business class projectors in these brands under $2500? Or maybe a couple in other brands? I think the only two stores I could find are considered high-end consumer (or at least low volume in projectors) so that I'll have to go back there just to ask if they know any location in this country where I can purchase something higher end. I absolutely do not want to import, however, because service would be a nightmare due to customs.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:15 AM

High end projectors are usually not high brightness projectors. They may even be considered "dim" by many regular folks. Brightness comes at the expense of black levels and contrast and highend projectors are usually very careful with light output and are designed for pitch dark theater rooms with dark walls and ceilings, etc. You don't want to consider any of those for your classroom setting with lots of ambient light and daytime viewing.

Benq and Optoma both make high brightness projectors in your price range. BenQ SH910, Optoma EH501 (3D ready), Optoma TH1060P, etc.
Here is a more complete list of high brightness 1080p projectors: http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=&w_m=&r=13&br=4000-5000&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl_m=&pjw_m=&pjh_m=&td_m=&i=d&is_m=&sort=pop
ThePowerOfCheese likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks, I understand. I think I now have the basic knowledge to at least not screw this up completely. One more question: any thoughts on how much of a risk to import? In my experience, there's competent local service for big name companies, even if a particular model isn't sold domestically. I'd consider importing if projectors are generally considered good bets, but I have no idea. For example, Apple's stuff is generally reliable, but my first MacBook Retina was a lemon (flickering screen) that I returned for exchange the next day, no problem. If I had imported, it would have been instant regret and inconvenience. I'd take the risk on a projector, but only if it's not a stupid risk.

post #7 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 AM

I don't know where you are. Locale matters but warranty policies matter too. If you are spending $2000+ on a projector and have no warranty on it because you imported it, are you willing to take that risk? I'd recommend checking with local head office if they'd honour the warranty if unit was imported from outside. Some are very protective of local dealers and retailers.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Good point. I shouldn't assume they'd honor the warranty, but I'm quite confident they'd give me quality out-of-warranty service from their domestic service centers. If the gamble came down to whether or not I'd need service during the warranty period, I'd be willing to give it a shot if projectors are considered to have at least average reliability compared to other electronics. A DOA would be a major burn, though, because I'd have to pay shipping 2, maybe 3 times over at about $150 per, and then throw in extra customs duties.

post #9 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerOfCheese View Post

I'd be willing to give it a shot if projectors are considered to have at least average reliability compared to other electronics.

Projectors actually may have less of a reliability factor than other comparable consumer electronics like TV. Couple that with less than industry leading reliability of cheaper brands like Optoma, BenQ and ViewSonic, and you should think twice before making a gamble on going without warranty. Brands like NEC, Sony, Panasonic and Mitsubishi are considered much more reliable.

Good luck with your search! smile.gif
ThePowerOfCheese likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Ex5200 Business Projector Xga Resolution 1024x768 V11h368120 , Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector , Viewsonic Pjd7820hd Full Hd 1080p Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page