Help comparing projectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-28-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
We purchased an Optoma HD8200 (refurb) and were able to watch it for a few hours before it stopped working. We were in love, the picture was crisp and clear around the edges and the colors were vibrant, the image also seemed to be more fluid. We have a homemade screen and it has a wrinkle in it and it wasn't noticeable at all with this projector. We sent it back and they sent us a replacement and it doesn't work either so we decided to move on. We purchased an Optoma HD131XE. The specs seem like it would be a better projector (lumens and contrast ratio etc) but the picture isn't nearly as crisp or vivid. It is pretty and I think if we had not used the Optoma HD8200 prior we would be happy with it. My question is, there has to be something better in the HD8200 that we aren't seeing- not only from our viewing experience but that also pushes the price tag that much higher ($800 vs around 3k) but just reading the specs we can't figure out what we should be looking for. As a note, we really do not need 3D and will primarily be watching movies and roku.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-28-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Three things, the calibration, the contrast, and maybe the sharpness / lens. The hd131xe has been reported to have a mediocre lens. That said, in all but the darker scenes I think you should be able to get just about any projector looking similar in bright scenes to another, but it requires calibrating. As far as the darker scenes, the contrast is what makes the difference.

I haven't heard of people getting 2 bad units in a row very often, but it can happen.

I know you are probably hesitant to try another refurb projector, but JVC has better quality control on their B-Stock units and they come with a 2-year warranty. The JVC's will even beat the Optoma at contrast easily. JVC is an LCOS projector though, so it has a slightly different look than the DLP's.

You can get a JVC B-stock from either AVS Sales (the sponsor of the forums that used to be directly connected to the forums), or you can get them from the Ebay Offical JVC Pro / B-Stock Store.

As far as DLP's better than the hd8200, not anything significantly better that is new for under $5000, but one that should come close is the Sharp xvz-30000, if you can still find them they are around $2,500 sometimes, but they are scarce. The color isn't quite as accurate on the Sharps, but the contrast is about the same as the Optoma hd8200.

Good luck...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 5 Old 09-29-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you!
Would the refresh rate of the projector have an effect? I really do not see that referenced in any of the specs though.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-29-2013, 06:55 AM

Liked: 17
I know what you mean: higher priced projectors offer a quality that can only be appreciated in direct comparison. Every projector produces a beautiful picture, until compared against another. I did a very crude (and probably subjective/inaccurate) comparison of various offerings (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492422/if-screenshots-at-projectorreviews-are-same-as-the-real-experience-projector-ratings) and what I found was exactly what you have experienced: cheaper projectors are very good but they still are in a "different league". Take a look at Benq w7000 and Acer 9500 as well.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-29-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyrie View Post

Thank you!
Would the refresh rate of the projector have an effect? I really do not see that referenced in any of the specs though.

They are all going to be 120hz with the exception of the triple flash capable projectors like the Benq w1070 (144hz). Since it doesn't sound like you care much about 3D, this doesn't matter, and for practical purposes just consider them all 120hz. So no, except 3D, the hz doesn't matter. There are a few older and cheaper DLP's that are only 60hz (Viewsonic Pro8200 and Mits hc4000), but I doubt you were considering those anyhow.

I think your best bet is the B-Stock JVC's, or if you want to stay with DLP maybe the Sharp. You might also consider one of the newer JVC's, like the RS-47 if its in your budget.

If it were me, what would I do, probably the RS-47 new from AVS.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd8200 1080p Dlp Hd Hdtv Theater Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page