To keep Optoma HD25e or return it??? (upgrade HD65) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So after almost over a year of thinking about it, I pulled the trigger on upgrading my HD65 (still working fine 720P) to 1080P.
I played with it for 2 days now. I’ve used recommended settings for 2D.

My setup is 110” DIY 4” mdf frame covered with black velvet and screen is painted with Black Widow paint mix.
Source is HTPC (win7 with old 8800GT nvidia card). I’m using WMC7 (HDHomerun) for OTA HDTV broadcast and XBMC to play movies off my file server over
wired gigabit network.

PROS:
-Super quiet, I mean SUPER QUIET... in eco mode.
-Nice 2D picture.
-Better than expected 3D, the Optoma’s 3D RF glasses are awesome. Very comfy to wear and you feel like you are in the theater.
-Nice simple white casing matching my white celling
-1080P in the desktop environment, more browser space, sharper text, less juggies etc…

CONS:
-100% focus across the screen is very hard to setup, I can see why some people complain about blurry picture.
-Blacks are just “ok”, call me crazy but I think HD65 (800hrs bulb, less lumens 1600 vs 2800 ANSI) has deeper blacks, shadow detail might be a tad better on HD25e. Too bad we cannot control lumens ouput via Menu.
-Not as much POP as I expected… I guess I would have to bump up BrilliantColor few notches to help that.
-No cover for the lens…

The HD25e is a light canon, like other users says, which is good and bad. The high lumens help 3D but I think it ruins blacks in 2D. HD25e’s 1080p give more space when reading in browser,
Everything looks crispier i.e XBMC menu. I have only paid $500 for refurb HD65 5 years ago (my frist PJ), this one with 2 pairs of 3D glasses is over double of that.

I’m just afraid when the 3D WOW factor goes away, and I watch one 3D movie a year, is this projector worth the price? Don’t get me wrong I love how quiet it is, 1080P resolution and shadow detail. However my old HD65 seems blacks at least in my head and deeper colors, i.e. green is greener (maybe higher ANSI on HD25e is washing colors, maybe I have to bump up BC a notch)…

On the weekend I will demo PJ to my wife and kids… Maybe they can help me to decide. If kids won’t like 3D so much, maybe taking them to theater once a year to see 3D flick might be better idea…

Maybe I should be looking at 2D 1080P projectors instead. I like optoma’s throw specs…

I still have 90 days to decide if I want to keep it or not…

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
What color is the room again? If the walls are a light color it will have washed out blacks with so many lumens....my HD 65 has terrible blacks in a half white room compared to my HD 66 in a dark room.and the 66 is 2500 lumens.. my hd131xe arrives today and I'm hoping to see an improvement over my current setup.
post #3 of 47 Old 10-02-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

What color is the room again? If the walls are a light color it will have washed out blacks with so many lumens....my HD 65 has terrible blacks in a half white room compared to my HD 66 in a dark room.and the 66 is 2500 lumens.. my hd131xe arrives today and I'm hoping to see an improvement over my current setup.

the front wall is burgundy (dark red)... sides are orange... Please see my older setup pictures. (including a couple from HD65 @ 720P) Now I have tower front speakers and center speaker under the screen. I have full control in the room (basement). With HD25e I can have back potlights dimmed or fully on and it won't affect picture. I cannot do the same with HD65.
The HD131Xe has a little slightly less lumens. LOL I’m very curious about your opinion…

http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=3528&w=o

http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=3526&w=o

http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=2979&w=o

http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=3532&w=o
post #4 of 47 Old 10-02-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Get an ND filter to equalize the white peak, then compare the black levels again. Comparing the black levels at two different lumens and fL is pretty pointless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #5 of 47 Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Get an ND filter to equalize the white peak, then compare the black levels again. Comparing the black levels at two different lumens and fL is pretty pointless.

Thank you for your feedback.

I had hd25e throwing form the floor and HD65 (still mounted on the ceiling). Using the same sources, room, screen, time of the day, I used my naked eye to compare between the two. However I do agree with you. Maybe my expactations for were too high,and I should have been ready for "ok" black level perfomance. Also there is much better shadow detail with HD25e. Another thing is I was testing this at night. I'm sure with some daylight leakign from my basement windows the story woudl be different. Perhaps I will just hang the projector on the celing and enjoy it for a month or two... before making my final decision...
post #6 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

So finally after properly mounting HD25e, I have to say HD25e is growing on me. Although the black level are what you would expect from $1k projector, however the shadow details are very good (if not excellent).
I like 1080P resolution, everything is much sharper, especially when working on windows desktop. It is super quiet comparing to HD65, I can even use dynamic black on low. All the SBS 3D movies I’ve tried were very good and I don’t have a problem with
brightness nor syncing. I like the looks of it and it matches my white ceiling.

The tiny problem is I cannot get 100% uniform focus across the screen (either top left or bottom right are affected), but it is not that bad. During movies or games you wouldn’t be even able to tell. I can see it only when using windows desktop when viewing tiny fonts.

I’m using recommended 2D setting. in general I’m very satisfied with these, however I’m trying to improve picture when watching hockey… with white-ish ice surface it is very tricky to do… I like Film gamma, however if I up brilliant color to bring more color a notch or two it makes ice look too bright…
For movies/shows I like graphics gamma. Also I bumped contrast to -2/-1. If anyone have any suggestions please let me know…

Overall I like the projector more and more, and unless I discover something it is a keeper… If time allows on the weekend I will bring down my gaming PC, to try BF3/BF4 beta, NFS and other games…. I might give try some 3D gaming as well.

BTW… I did upgrade firmware on it to C04, I wish Optoma would list what was changed fixed.
post #7 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the exact same focus weakness o. My HD 131xe..its apparent on the grid pattern but that's it... I would not delete the firmware file if you have it.. in case someone is brave enough to be the first to convert one model to another by changing the firmware... Clark I'm curious what the sticker on the bottom says for model number.... does it say "HDVENUE" where your HD 65 says "hd65"? Mine does... and the serial number is on a separate sticker which appears on the side.
Blacks should be better when ceiling mounted if you have a bright or glossy ceiling and vice versa if you floor is glossy because of the angle the light is hitting the screen and deflected at but this would also matter more for some screen materials than others.

I have to say there's no doubts in my setup that my HD 131xe has better blacks than both my HD 65 and HD 66.
As for the hockey you could turn brilliant color down and get less washing out of the whites normally.
post #8 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have the exact same focus weakness o. My HD 131xe..its apparent on the grid pattern but that's it... I would not delete the firmware file if you have it.. in case someone is brave enough to be the first to convert one model to another by changing the firmware... Clark I'm curious what the sticker on the bottom says for model number.... does it say "HDVENUE" where your HD 65 says "hd65"? Mine does... and the serial number is on a separate sticker which appears on the side.
Blacks should be better when ceiling mounted if you have a bright or glossy ceiling and vice versa if you floor is glossy because of the angle the light is hitting the screen and deflected at but this would also matter more for some screen materials than others.

I have to say there's no doubts in my setup that my HD 131xe has better blacks than both my HD 65 and HD 66.
As for the hockey you could turn brilliant color down and get less washing out of the whites normally.

Augie,

I will post the info about serial number tonight I will have to check. Also if I'm not mistaken you can see this info via service menu (while projector on, hit power off once, up, down and menu).

Yes, my low white ceiling is not helping with blacks, but overall I like it better than my HD65 blacks... Also like you have mentioned, the blacks will only improve with time (bulb needs aging).

The only reason I like using brilliant color is to bring the color up, the hockey jerseys...etc.. Makes me wonder why there is no color setting on projector... I don't think HD65 had it either...

I'm hoping guitarman will buy hd25e/131xe and will share with us his recommended settings... :-)
post #9 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you can Google "optoma service menu" or mode and find it... I remember seeing someone post the directions on a review thread I bookmarked at home... Doesn't help now as I'm at my cabin.
post #10 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Just found this with a Google search.....

With the projector on, press off > left > left > menu
post #11 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just found this with a Google search.....

With the projector on, press off > left > left > menu

thanks, but I alredy knew this see my previous post. for my hd25e it was:

(while projector on, hit power off once, up, down and menu).
post #12 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 09:07 AM

Liked: 11
I just mounted my HD25e yesterday and have had very limited viewing time on it yet. I have major reservations about the focus problems. I am seeing them as well.

I have a Sharp XV-Z3100 that I am "upgrading" from. It is a a 720p projector as well but is a commercial grade, or so I'm told. I thought I would be getting a huge upgrade because of lumens and pixel count. Specs aren't the whole story I guess. I will give the HD25e a bit more time before I make my decision. It is interesting to see that the complaints are similar between owners though.

CanadianZ
post #13 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17 View Post

thanks, but I alredy knew this see my previous post. for my hd25e it was:

(while projector on, hit power off once, up, down and menu).
not sure how I missed that one.
post #14 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianZ View Post

I just mounted my HD25e yesterday and have had very limited viewing time on it yet. I have major reservations about the focus problems. I am seeing them as well.

I have a Sharp XV-Z3100 that I am "upgrading" from. It is a a 720p projector as well but is a commercial grade, or so I'm told. I thought I would be getting a huge upgrade because of lumens and pixel count. Specs aren't the whole story I guess. I will give the HD25e a bit more time before I make my decision. It is interesting to see that the complaints are similar between owners though.

CanadianZ

If it is minimal focus problem, don't worry about it. It is only visible when you are looking at very small i.e. text. I had similar issue on my HD65, however due to smaller lens it was less of a problem. Unfortunetally these are entry level home theater projectors and we get what we pay for. Other than "ok" black levels, the projector is very good and I'm planning to keep it.
post #15 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:

If it is minimal focus problem, don't worry about it. It is only visible when you are looking at very small i.e. text. I had similar issue on my HD65, however due to smaller lens it was less of a problem. Unfortunetally these are entry level home theater projectors and we get what we pay for. Other than "ok" black levels, the projector is very good and I'm planning to keep it.

I agree it isn't that bad but I am going from a higher end (albeit older) 720p model that looked great. I am hoping to see a great difference with the higher resolution and I am honestly excited to see 3D. I still haven't decided 100% to keep it. I too have 90 days to decide. (I assume you bought yours at Costco as well)

Has anyone contacted Optoma to see what they say about the focus issue??

CanadianZ
post #16 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

CanadianZ

I've read somewhere that their response was that it was to be expected because it is a lower end model.
post #17 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree it isn't that bad but I am going from a higher end (albeit older) 720p model that looked great. I am hoping to see a great difference with the higher resolution and I am honestly excited to see 3D. I still haven't decided 100% to keep it. I too have 90 days to decide. (I assume you bought yours at Costco as well)

CanadianZ

Yes, costo.ca.

No I havnen't talk to Optoma, but I've read about more than one peeps talked to Optoma about it. I believe 1080p requires bigger lens and it might require higher end optics.
Seriously in every day situation you want see it. Even with tiniest font, you can still read it, it is just not as sharp as others. However if it is going to bother you enough...
Take your time to decide, like I said I like this projector more and more.

1080p will give you less juggies and more desktop space, depending where you are sitting. Even simple XBMC menu looks much sharper in 1080P...
Unless I do discover something crazy, like my kids are seeing RBE or picture starts flickering or somethign like this, I will keep this unit.
post #18 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 64
After seeing a question about "uniformity" in a response I made earlier this week, I can now talk more about it, especially after reading this thread..

I am seeing a bit of the same issue with the "focus", and mine is prevelant in the bottom right hand corner. I never noticed it until firing up my HD25e mid week and saw the HDMI1 input text and logo in the corner was a little out of focus.

That being said, and somewhat strange, I checked the 'grid' pattern last night and didn't notice it like I did when the input logo was on. I didn't notice it when watching the Canucks vs. Sharks game on Shaw HD last night either, and I have yet to notice it when gaming and watching a movie. Funny how I just didn't realize it until I reread some stuff here on AVS.

I have to say that I am happy with the HD25e. I too bought from Costco.ca, with glasses and RF emitter. The price is amazing for what you get. With the uniformity not bothering me when watching HDTV, playing games on my Xbox 360 (and soon Xbox One) and when watching Blu-ray movies I am very happy. It looks darn good. I upgraded from an InFocus IN76 (720p DLP) so the light output is way better for me. I can watch HDTV Sports with the lights on bright enough to read or do something in the room, and then I can turn them off for a total "enclosed" home theater experience.

I'll be honest too, I wanted a 3D projector to have that option, but I am a bit more excited for it after checking out only one movie (Tron Legacy) and one game (COD: Black Ops 2). The initial 3D was impressive and I know it can get better with tweaking of the 3D settings. Heck, I have even done some resarch and am buying a few more 3D movies just to have in my library to watch when I feel the itch.

Sure, the HD25e is not the best projector out there, but for the money, it is DAMN GOOD. I was initailly looking at the Epson 6020 or Panny AE-8000, but that would have been overkill for my room (only sit 12 feet or so back). By purchasing the HD25e, I got to buy a new cabinet for my components, a new screen (KILLER DEAL ON A good quality 92-inch), and a few new movies for well under $2k. So now I enjoy 1080p for all my inputs, as well as decent 3D, and from the comfort of my home theater chairs. I plan on enjoying it for at least a few years before I think about upgrading.

Kirby Y (aka - The Outcast)

I don't have alot of posts since I joined AVS Forums in 2004. I mainly read the information in threads as a source of research material. - quoted from The Outcast in April 2007.
post #19 of 47 Old 10-04-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

ahahha.... sometimes not knowing is better...LOL... Thanks to AVS i did return 59" Sammy plasma due to floating black or whatever it was called. It was only visible in some scenes and since I knew about i coudlnd't take it and return it. I ended up buying 51" Sammy plasma for half price... At the end I wish I kept 59" display... LOL

What settings are you using to watch hockey games? I'm still playing around with the settings... I'm satisfied with 2D/3D for movies/tv shows... but hockey games alone should have their own preset :-)
post #20 of 47 Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 AM

This uniformity issue is quite strange to me. Let me explain:

As noted above, I do see the uniformity issues people speak off. It is prevalent in my bottom right hand corner.

So I did a bit more adjusting of my placement last night and played with the zoom and whatnot as I tried to line-up my image on screen (e.g. no overscan, etc). In other words, I was just making minor, fine tuned adjustments to how the image was shooting onto my screen.

As I CLOSELY examined the grid test pattern, I could slightly see it. Note that I initially didn't really see it before. Again, it is in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Why this is funny to me is that I was playing Diablo III on my Xbox 360 last night. I was online with three others. Each of those in my Diablo III group had their gamertag and health status in each corner of the screen. My friend whose name and health was in the bottom right hand corner looked just fine. Would I say perfect. Heck I dunno, but when compared to the other names in the other corners, it looked just as sharp and not out of focus. It looked HD.

I also watched a bit of the Canucks vs. Oilers game and the bottom right hand of the screen was not really a issue. I could say I thought it looked SLIGHTLY different now and then, but then when other things happened looked bang on.

Anyhow, I am enjoying this projector so far. When I was playing online with my friends last night I could have my lights in in my room at about 50% brightness, which allows me to look at stuff (e.g. notes on paper, etc) and not feel in the dark. All the while the image was nice and bright while in eco mode.

I still need to do more movie watching, and I have some settings from someone to try to get my 3D dialled in so I need to do 3D movie watching too. Bought a few 3D movies from Future Shop and going to order some from Amazon this week. Won't go too crazy though.

Anyhow, just thought I would speak about my "uniformity" experience as it was very strange last night and for me personally, it really doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue at this point.

I don't have alot of posts since I joined AVS Forums in 2004. I mainly read the information in threads as a source of research material. - quoted from The Outcast in April 2007.
post #21 of 47 Old 10-06-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm pretty sure It says HDVENUE in the service menu. I cannot check the sticker on the bottom because the PJ is mounted now.

The Outcast just don't let it bother you. I remounted the PJ and it still there... right bottom corner suffers the most... ATM my kids are enjoying Ice Age 4 in 3D... even my wife likes it. I might order 2 pairs of glasses... Perhaps ESTARS from Amazon US and drive down to do some shopping at the same time.
I didn't have much time to enjoy PJ this weekend due to spending most of the time with my kids at hockey arenas (games and practices)... biggrin.gif
post #22 of 47 Old 10-06-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:

The Outcast just don't let it bother you. I remounted the PJ and it still there... right bottom corner suffers the most... ATM my kids are enjoying Ice Age 4 in 3D... even my wife likes it. I might order 2 pairs of glasses... Perhaps ESTARS from Amazon US and drive down to do some shopping at the same time.
I didn't have much time to enjoy PJ this weekend due to spending most of the time with my kids at hockey arenas (games and practices)... biggrin.gif

It doesn't really bother me, just find myself looking for it a little more often than not. LOL. Was just watching the Denver vs. Dallas game and it looked GREAT. I seem to be happier by the day as I get time to watch stuff. Need to play some Borderlands 2 soon, and actually watch a FULL movie. :-s

If you want, here is a Canadian website that is pretty good for projector stuff, including 3D glasses. It was given to me from another AVS member who helped me out via PM's and e-mail when I was just figuring out what to buy for my Projector. I ordered two pairs of glasses that are basically Optoma 3D glasses (the ones that came with the Projector from Costco) just don't have the branding. Free shipping too. I like that it's a Canadian website too. Knowing I got the exact same 3D glasses, a bit cheaper and free shipping to my door and I am happy. Here's the link to the site as a whole and one specifically for the glasses

http://www.consignia.ca/

http://www.consignia.ca/3d-vip-rechargeable-3d-active-shutter-rf-glasses-for-3d-processors-and-optoma-hd25-hd25-lv-hd33-hd83-gt750-etc/

Cheers,

Outtie

post #23 of 47 Old 10-06-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post

It doesn't really bother me, just find myself looking for it a little more often than not. LOL. Was just watching the Denver vs. Dallas game and it looked GREAT. I seem to be happier by the day as I get time to watch stuff. Need to play some Borderlands 2 soon, and actually watch a FULL movie. :-s

If you want, here is a Canadian website that is pretty good for projector stuff, including 3D glasses. It was given to me from another AVS member who helped me out via PM's and e-mail when I was just figuring out what to buy for my Projector. I ordered two pairs of glasses that are basically Optoma 3D glasses (the ones that came with the Projector from Costco) just don't have the branding. Free shipping too. I like that it's a Canadian website too. Knowing I got the exact same 3D glasses, a bit cheaper and free shipping to my door and I am happy. Here's the link to the site as a whole and one specifically for the glasses

http://www.consignia.ca/

http://www.consignia.ca/3d-vip-rechargeable-3d-active-shutter-rf-glasses-for-3d-processors-and-optoma-hd25-hd25-lv-hd33-hd83-gt750-etc/

Cheers,

Outtie

Thanks for the link wink.gif I did order 2 pairs.

What settings are you using now for NHL/NFL?
post #24 of 47 Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the link wink.gif I did order 2 pairs.

What settings are you using now for NHL/NFL?

For NHL and NFL, I am using those well established on in another HDxx projector thread (people always refer to them), but I did some adjustments on the Blue colour. I am quite happy. The Dallas vs. Denver game looked great, as do my menues for my Xbox 360.

In regards to the Dallas vs. Denver game picture, I did this while it was playing and I didn't pause it. I am not a professional photographer, so had auto settings on Canon DSLR with flash off. Hey, it's not a bad pic, just not a reference quality pic taken by amateur.

Cheers,

post #25 of 47 Old 10-07-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

looks good to me :P

I did bump contrast from -3 few notches. Also I play with BC betweeen 1-3. I'm using NHL Gamecenter usign XBMC plugin (allowing 4500kbs bitrate) on my HTPC. Overall is very nice, but not as nice as CBC's OTA HD 720p brodcasts.
The kids had a blast last night watching Ice Age 4. Even my wife liked it and had no issues with me ordering extra 2 pairs of 3D glasses.

I want to try some PC gaming on it, if I will get some time I will drag down my PC gaming machine. I like the idea of SteamOS concept to allow streaming games across your network. (Gaming PC to your HTPC).
post #26 of 47 Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 AM

Liked: 10
I also would not delete the firmware file if you have it.. in case someone is brave enough to be the first to convert one model to another by changing the firmware.It seems that you have ordered two pairs.
post #27 of 47 Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post

For NHL and NFL, I am using those well established on in another HDxx projector thread (people always refer to them), but I did some adjustments on the Blue colour. I am quite happy. The Dallas vs. Denver game looked great, as do my menues for my Xbox 360.

Cheers,

Can you link to it or post here?? I have found a few site with either HD25 or HD25-LV settings. I am just looking for a starting point.

Thanks, CanadianZ
post #28 of 47 Old 10-07-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can you link to it or post here?? I have found a few site with either HD25 or HD25-LV settings. I am just looking for a starting point.

Thanks, CanadianZ

we are using settings for hd25 (pretty much the same PJ)..

My settings after calibration:

Brightness: 0
Contrast: -3
Sharpness: 9
Colour: 0
Tint: 0
Advanced

ECO lamp mode
brilliant color off
Film gamma
dynamic black off
Noise Reduction off
Colour Temperature Warm

white (grayscale):
Red: 1, Green: - 4, Blue: - 11

CMS (in order hue, saturation, brightness):

RED: 6, 0, 16
GREEN: 12, 1 - 3
BLUE: 17, 50 - 20
CYAN: 27, 16, 4
YELLOW - 16, -5, 5
MAGENTA: 27, 16, 4

The color temperature is now reduced to 6508K and a deltaE gap reduced to 0.6

hope my settings are correct here.
post #29 of 47 Old 10-08-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Last night I did reallign the projector again using 1080P win7 desktop (and grid test) and the blury/out of focus/soft corners were showing.....grrrr Hence for fun I decided to live chat with optoma rep today and this is what I got, I removed rep's name as I don't want him to get in trouble over this, but this is the transcript.

Optoma REP: Thank you for contacting Optoma Technology. How may I assist you?
You: Hello
You: I recently purchased HD25e package from coscto.ca. It was upgrade from HD65. Overall I'm very happy but it seems there is an issue with focus/blurness.
You: The top left or bottom right corners suffer from it.
You: It is evident when working on computer desktop. I found other users with similar issues on amazon.com and avs forums. Also HD131xe seems to be affected by it.
You: Is this common issue? should I try to return it to costco canada and order another one?
Optoma REP: this is a common issue, however we are still working on the cause. There is no solution currently at this time. we apologize
You: so there is no point to ordering a new one? Should I just return it and wait for fix? It seems like lens (hardware) issue. I don't thnk it can be fixed by firmware? Arre you guys planning to do recall? I don't know what to do? I just ordered 2 more optoma 3D glasses...
Optoma REP: again, unfortunatly i do not have a solution for you. a new unit will most likely exibit the same issue. our product management team is still working on a solution to this. sorry
You: do you have any eta on when the solution will be avaiable? I love Optoma, don't take me wrong.... but maybe you guys should block distributors from selling hd25e/hd131xe untill there is a solution. HD65 never exibited the focus problems...
You: I don't have issue to take it back to costco.ca, they will return it back to you. However I will be stuck with 2 pairs of glasses :-(
Optoma REP: I apologize, but this is the only information I have
Optoma REP: frown.gif
You: ok ****** thanks for your help.... I hope you will get this addressed sooner than later... there is a lot of very disapointed customers up there...
Opotoma REP: My pleasure! Have a great day!

After which I did call the store where I bought the extra 2 pairs of glasses from to see if they had any bad experiance with hd25e/hd131xe projectors. He said there was one return, the customer wanted to use it for presentations and because of soft corner issue he returned it (did not work well with spreadsheets). He said he tested himself and when using with his PS3 (movies/gaming) the issue was almost unoticable. He said if this really bothers me he can sell me refurbished HD33 at good price. Apparently HD33 uses higher quality optics. However it uses older DLP chipset and it outputs only 1800 lumens. (could be bad for 3D) Also it uses more expensive bulb, and contrast specs are worst. Due to higher voltage bulb used, I assuem the fan might be nosier and on top of things I will only get 90 days warranty with the refurb.

So now I guess I have to either:

- live with mild / soft corners (it is so hard to get it out of my head) :-)
- wait for Optoma 'somehow' fix it (I don't think so)
- buy older hd33 refurb (maybe...hmmm)..
- return hd25e, and ship back 3D glasses and ride HD65 a little longer :-)
post #30 of 47 Old 10-08-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

You have to ask yourself is this for video and movies or for admiring text and spreadsheets? I don't see any focus issues on bluray movies, video or HD cable feeds myself .... just when grid pattern is up or when I look hard and the video feed indicator when its up for a second. The hd33 seems to have more noticeable downsides than soft text in the corner or in test pattern mode...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd65 Plus 720p Dlp Projector With Backpack And Speakers , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page