Could really use some advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,
I'm just wading into the world of projectors for the first time, and was hoping I could get a little advice from the experts here.

First of all, I should say that the purpose of this projector is not as the centrepiece to some amazing home theatre - in fact I want to projector so as to limit the amount of equipment I need, as my space is very limited.

Basically, does a reasonably-priced projector exist which has the following:

- Can project a bright, decent-sized (40"+) image on a wall approximately 8 feet away.
- Has good-quality built-in stereo speakers.
- Will accent input from a USB stick or SD card.
- Can natively handle formats such as Divx, MKV, mp4, etc?

Essentially, I want a projector that can do it all - and I don't expect it to do it all brilliant, just good enough for my needs.

Any help appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Maybe something in LED PJ might work for you, since you are just looking for something small and you can get a 80 inch widescreen at 8 feet back , 70 inch widescreen at 7 feet back, etc. It has 30,000 hours LED , so you don't have to replace bulbs every 3,000-6,000 hours. Realitively cheap on sale. Maybe look in pa70g thread or other LED threads. You could go with bulb, but it seems like you are looking for something to turn on and off anytime in small rooms to tv viewing/gaming/movies/internet surfing. The newer models like the LG pa75u are something that might interest you, it has built in tv tuner, wifi, bluetooth, 2 remotes, native 3d, maybe look at amazon and read user reviews and see what other guys suggest for you.
Wecome to the forum rooms, you are doing the right thing, and the guys here will steer you towards "legit" real PJ's and not some scam site. Name brands with warranties . The LG has 2 year warranty.
There is new LG LED that is 1080p coming out, but it will be around 1,000 dollars. The pa75 is around 650 dollars , and the pa70 is/was around 399 on sale. So, maybe keep your eyes open for the next few months for good xmas sales.
I'll let others share what they think might work for you. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
There really isn't a solution to this. Very few people want good advanced functionality, they all want 'basic' functionality from their projectors.

I would suggest, that you may want to consider a projector with a analog stereo output on it, and hook up a pair of decent powered speakers to it (PC active speakers) locally, and put a micro PC on top of the projector as well. With a decent mount setup you can hid most of the hardware above the projector or on the mounting pole, then have very little which is protruding into the room.

A projector like the W1070 from BenQ can give you a fairly large image from an 8' throw distance and has enough light output to deal with a fair bit of ambient light. It also has a audio output which should be able to drive active (powered) speakers, and it has connectivity for whatever type of media player you wish to connect to it.

Keep in mind that a really good media player costs several hundred dollars, and will get constant updates to ensure it works better and better all the time. This is a completely different product than what a projector is, so it should not be expected that this type of functionality will be built into any projector which costs $500 or $1,000... and the better ones will not even try to add features outside of solid projection quality.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Based on your requirements you don't want a projector, you want a smart TV.

You can get a great 42" to 50" LED panel and be done with it.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for much for the help, everyone.

rgtaa, I think you're right on the money, I hadn't even considered an LED projector, but having looked into your recommendations, one of the LG models would probably suit my needs perfectly.

AV_Integrated and reconlabtech - you both make good points, but for me keeping equipment to an absolutely minimum is essential. And the one thing I'm trying to avoid is having a TV permanently on display (nothing against watching good movies, but my place is small, and I find once a TV is on the wall, everything starts to magically rearrange itself around it, which I don't want). But you're right, it would make life a lot easier. Maybe I'll mellow on my opinion there.

Thanks again!

Q
Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Do your research on this... LG makes some stuff which advertises well, but doesn't always work well. Especially when it comes to file playback and 'smart' functionality. It also has very weak/tiny speakers in it which aren't suitable for listening to. At 1,000 lumens (rated) for their brightest projector, if you aren't doing full light control in the room, you shouldn't expect a usable image over about 36" diagonal with any light in the room.

Also, I assume you are aware of how important light control is in any room with a projector in it.

If you are serious about hiding the TV, then I would look at a one-way mirror/TV solution, or a art solution which covers the display when not in use. I know in my home the TV is on 4+ hours a day, and has a lot of stuffed focused around it by choice from day one. So, if your goal is not to have this, then I would consider other options beyond a projector as alternatives which will still work well.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Maybe he can look on YouTube and look at video reviews of models he might be interested in. For example, last year what sold me on the pa70g was this guy's review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JIWJ1EVwZg
And the fact that it was 399 dollars at Fry's at the time. Which was very low price to try "led PJ". I couldn't pick up a 80 inch LED hdtv at that price, so it was no brainer for me. Right now, see what is currently "top dog" that has good sale. smile.gif

Their are reviews by others and reviews for other models, you can see how they look in someone's home. A video is worth 10,000 words. smile.gif
I'm not saying he "should get LG LED" or any LED , but just research it, and listen to the other guys who respond in this thread, and ponder it all.

Maybe buy it from place with good return policy.

What price range? How dark is the room? Are you gonna play games on it? Watch TV, surf the web?

As the other guy said, if you only need 40 inch screen, get a hdtv instead of PJ. I would say with LED PJ you can get a nice picture in 40-100 inch screen size in "dark room", no problems with 80 inch widescreen probably being the average of most LED users.

Tags
Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector