need a projector under $1500 and need help opinions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 1500 to spend I can get a w7000 for that or what else would you suggest? Maybe a 1070? Or w1400 when it comes out? I need the lumens to play in some ambient light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-04-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
If you have plenty of placement flexibility, then the W1070 or the Optoma 131 series seem to offer more bang for the buck. The W7000 has better contrast, but more contrast tends to be for more dedicated spaces. You need a few more lumens to deal with ambient light. Pay VERY close attention to where the projector must go as these projectors have very limited placement flexibility and minimal, or no, lens shift.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Where can you get the W7000 for $1500?
post #4 of 16 Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

sent a pm
post #5 of 16 Old 10-04-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

i forgot to mention I want something I can zoom to 16/9 and 2.35 manually of course. so the 1070 is out frown.gif
post #6 of 16 Old 10-05-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Best bet is a B-Stock JVC RS-45 or RS-46, it has the lens memory, comes with 2-yr MFR warranty. You can buy them online sometimes from the official JVC Ebay Store (make sure its the official store). Another place you can buy them is from the forum sponsor (AV Science Sales).

The RS-46 will be a bit over your budget probably even in a B-Stock, but the RS-45 (if any available) should be about that price, maybe a tad more. The JVC is not only the best option at 2.35 (it is the only one that is fully motorized in this price range), but it also has the best image for movies IMHO.

The only other projectors that I know of that can do this near your price range:
Used or Refurb Panasonic ae4000u, ae7000u, ae8000u (digital re-scales)
Mitsubishi hc4000 (digital re-scales the 16:9 image to fit the 2.35)

Note that when setting up 2.35 on a 2.35 screen, the throw / mounting distance is different than normal. Hence, you are limited by the size of the 16:9 image, rather than only the 2.35 area.

The place to get a B-Stock JVC if they have any left:
Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7 of 16 Old 10-05-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Best bet is a B-Stock JVC RS-45 or RS-46, it has the lens memory, comes with 2-yr MFR warranty. You can buy them online sometimes from the official JVC Ebay Store (make sure its the official store). Another place you can buy them is from the forum sponsor (AV Science Sales).

The RS-46 will be a bit over your budget probably even in a B-Stock, but the RS-45 (if any available) should be about that price, maybe a tad more. The JVC is not only the best option at 2.35 (it is the only one that is fully motorized in this price range), but it also has the best image for movies IMHO.

The only other projectors that I know of that can do this near your price range:
Used or Refurb Panasonic ae4000u, ae7000u, ae8000u (digital re-scales)
Mitsubishi hc4000 (digital re-scales the 16:9 image to fit the 2.35)

Note that when setting up 2.35 on a 2.35 screen, the throw / mounting distance is different than normal. Hence, you are limited by the size of the 16:9 image, rather than only the 2.35 area.

The place to get a B-Stock JVC if they have any left:
Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
post #8 of 16 Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ill look into it maybe I can save a little more
post #9 of 16 Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

Gee, for background info for the rest of us, can you tell us what PJ's you have seen in person, going to someone else's home, or viewed in some location. You don't have many posts, so how did you even arrive at the w7000 or 1070 or 1400? Who suggested that? Websites, pro reviewers, amazon user reviews, watching YouTube videos of different PJ's.

Are you a gamer? Thinking of getting one of the next gen consoles, do you have blue ray player?, do you watch football games, what room size , what screen size, what time of day will you watch, for how many people could be viewing with you, how much light are you planning on having in your room. Tell us all you can, so people here can figure out what would be good for you.

Also, don't go by any one person's opinion. Would you do that for buying a car? Or would you try to get one that got good pro reviews and user reviews and went to showroom and took a spin in it to see if it worked for you?

Now if your friend has a w7000 and you went to his home and watched stuff on it, and thought "wow , I want something like that but even better or exactly the same", you would know you are getting something you know you will like.

Now to make you think outside the box, there are LED PJ's too, in addition to Bulb PJ's, but would need to have "darker room". The advantage of LED PJ is you can turn it on and off all you want anytime and have 30,000 hours of life (like hdtv), and some models ... LG pa75u has built in TV tuner, wifi, 2 remotes, smart apps, native 3d meaning you can wifi any 3d file/movie/tv show into it or put movies on usb memory stick and plug it inot PJ and it works. The downside is only 700 lumens, 720p. But for around 650 dollars you have something that gives 70-100 inch screen size with 2 year warranty. There is new 1080p LG LED coming out shortly, but we are waiting to see how it is with 1000 lumens.

The bulb PJ's are theater PJ's for special viewing and have limited bulb hours and expensive replacement, and every turn on and off uses 4 hours bulb life, and it's not recommended you turn on and off the PJ many times a day.

If you just want a PJ for special movie in 1080p in LIGHT CONTROLLED room in 3d or regular viewing, then BULB PJ would be the way to go. If you wanted somethng that you could use everyday, just like hdtv, turn it on for the news, or to surf the internet, or watch youtube, and use the crap out of it and get your money's worth, think "LED PJ". smile.gif I have both bulb and LED PJ's , and in my "dark room" both work. But if there is light coming into the room only the bulb would work for me.

Spill your GUTS, and tell us all you can, so you get the PJ that would be fit for you. If you come back and say , " I watch blu ray movies and 3d stuff in home theater room with 1,000 dollar sound system and special dark carpeting", then you need BULB PJ and something the other guys might suggest. If on the other hand you want something to watch mostly by yourself, on portable screen or wall mounted screen at night that you can turn of and on just like your hdtv and watch all types of stuff, then LED PJ could work for you. No right or wrong, times are changing, and there is transition taking place in this room. Like going from old 56k modems to cable internet. Remember going into Best BUY and seeing all those heavy big screen tv's, now they are hdtv 1080p 3d and slender and lighter weight. Same between bulbs and LED PJ's. It's just a matter of time. I don't see those heavy big screen tv's in Best Buy anymore, do you? smile.gif

Well here is what im up to.

Ive finally talked my wife into getting projector, I have around a 2-3 thousand dollar 5.2 surround sound system and a 14x28' room that im working with. Im going to build a 120" spandex screen 2.35 for now. I will be hosting a lot of ufc parties and such so ambient light will be an issue (but its a basement room with pot lights that dim) I would love a lens memory capable projector but they seem out of my price range.

The only projectors ive seen are ub 9700 epson and a 8350epson. I have been researxhing and reading for a year now getting ready to pull the trigger on this at christmas.

I dont mind switching between 16:9 and 2.35 manually if I have to either. From all the screen shots ive seen I am a dlp guy although I dont know if im suseptable to rbe so id like a 6x speed dlp if thats the case.

Im definatly looking for an1080p projector there will be some gaming on it as well so I have to keep that in mind.

Im going from a 42" sharp lcd 60hz tv tongue.gif it was the best at the time when I bought it around 9 years ago lol
post #10 of 16 Old 10-05-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarr View Post

Well here is what im up to.

Ive finally talked my wife into getting projector, I have around a 2-3 thousand dollar 5.2 surround sound system and a 14x28' room that im working with. Im going to build a 120" spandex screen 2.35 for now. I will be hosting a lot of ufc parties and such so ambient light will be an issue (but its a basement room with pot lights that dim) I would love a lens memory capable projector but they seem out of my price range.

The only projectors ive seen are ub 9700 epson and a 8350epson. I have been researxhing and reading for a year now getting ready to pull the trigger on this at christmas.

I dont mind switching between 16:9 and 2.35 manually if I have to either. From all the screen shots ive seen I am a dlp guy although I dont know if im suseptable to rbe so id like a 6x speed dlp if thats the case.

Im definatly looking for an1080p projector there will be some gaming on it as well so I have to keep that in mind.

Im going from a 42" sharp lcd 60hz tv tongue.gif it was the best at the time when I bought it around 9 years ago lol

I forgot to mention the reason I was looking into benq is that the 1070 is getting such good reviews that the 1500 or 1400 would allow me to manually zoom and still get that great dlp pic at a reasonable price.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You are letting us know what you are interested in and how you would use your PJ. I had deleted my post 2 minutes after I posted it because I didn't think LED PJ would work for you. But you must of caught it just as I posted. Yeah, a bulb PJ would be the right direction to go , since it has much more lumens and 1080p with lens shift and other cool features. Good luck to you. Let us know what you get and how you like it.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-06-2013, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarr View Post

I forgot to mention the reason I was looking into benq is that the 1070 is getting such good reviews that the 1500 or 1400 would allow me to manually zoom and still get that great dlp pic at a reasonable price.

This isn't feasible without lens shift because the 16:9 image will project outside the 2.35 area. You not only have to manually zoom. but you'd also have to change the lens shift position. You really need the JVC if you want to do 2.35 lens memory.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #13 of 16 Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I understand that, it is feasible for me it woulf take around 30 sec or so to do it will be ceiling mounted and its a low ceiling.

Looking into the rs46 or x35 they are really half as bright as the w7000 calibrated. And you have to worry about dead pixels, alignment and such. And limited color calibration . I understand that contrast is the holy grail to some but this being my first projector I dont know if I would know the difference.

I have to admit though the lense memory is a huge option. That alone could sway me.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-06-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

If you watch movies on your HTPC, then you can do the 16:9 re-scale on ANY projector using the HTPC with a certain video software player (forgot which one, but many discussed it in the past). So if you are happy using an HTPC as your Bluray player, then it can be done. The other option is a $1500+ Lumagen, but sometimes you can find one used for under $1000.

The w7000 has better color and gamma than the RS-45 out of the box for sure, but the RS-46 looks better color-wise than the RS-45, so depends what price you could get on an RS-46 as well. Since I own both the w7000 and the RS-45 and I've split screened the two for many hours comparing calibrations, I would say the darker blacks of the RS-45 give it the edge, but the Benq is more newbie friendly. The Benq w7000's color isn't perfect OOTB either though, it's too green and blue usually, but this is easier to fix than trying to wrestle with the RS-45's gamma issues.

Hard call, but if I had to pick just one projector, I think I'd stick with the RS-45 even given its somewhat difficult gamma issues, you can still adjust the whitepoint gamma to fix the shadow detail pretty easily. The Benq does look better in TV and Sports IMO, and the Benq has much better 3D.

post #15 of 16 Old 10-06-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

If you watch movies on your HTPC, then you can do the 16:9 re-scale on ANY projector using the HTPC with a certain video software player (forgot which one, but many discussed it in the past). So if you are happy using an HTPC as your Bluray player, then it can be done. The other option is a $1500+ Lumagen, but sometimes you can find one used for under $1000.

The w7000 has better color and gamma than the RS-45 out of the box for sure, but the RS-46 looks better color-wise than the RS-45, so depends what price you could get on an RS-46 as well. Since I own both the w7000 and the RS-45 and I've split screened the two for many hours comparing calibrations, I would say the darker blacks of the RS-45 give it the edge, but the Benq is more newbie friendly. The Benq w7000's color isn't perfect OOTB either though, it's too green and blue usually, but this is easier to fix than trying to wrestle with the RS-45's gamma issues.

Hard call, but if I had to pick just one projector, I think I'd stick with the RS-45 even given its somewhat difficult gamma issues, you can still adjust the whitepoint gamma to fix the shadow detail pretty easily. The Benq does look better in TV and Sports IMO, and the Benq has much better 3D.

What would you
Say the calibrated difference in brightness is ?

This would be used by mt son as well for cable and xbox one.
Ated
post #16 of 16 Old 10-06-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably about 300 lumens advantage to the Benq. The JVC is about 600 calibrated lumens with the IRIS Open in LAMP LOW (900 in Lamp High), whereas the Benq is 900-1000 in Lamp Low.

The Benq in Lamp Low basically = JVC in Lamp High.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page