Projector package for sale. Need advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a guy selling this projector package, it is an odd brand that I have never seen.
Anyone here that can give me some insight and advice on whether I should bite.

Pearl 3G 1080P HDMI LED 3D Projector w/ 75" Retractable Screen - $400

Product Specifications:

Pearl 3G LED:

Whether you are looking for a new home theater experience or trying to make an impression at a company board meeting, the Pearl 3G is slim line high powered projection powerhouse with please your family and friends for years to come on screens up to 325 inches wide! The ultra bright 7,500 lumens Pearl 3G is a professional home theater projector is designed to allow installation flexibility with a highly efficient 24-bit 3D chipset. Its integrated MK-VID™ technology is a high-performance scaling video processing chip designed to enhance both standard, and high-definition video. The Pearl 3G advanced input panel includes a proprietary concentrated HDMI port allowing for enhanced signal pathways allowing for greater color saturation for a variety of input sources. It is unique projector because it embraces and extends our proprietary Split Spectrum Focus (SSF) technology within a smaller footprint, to simplify the unit's focal length and eliminate costly maintenance, while providing a shimmering video output that dazzles on both white, grey or perforated professional screens.

1080P Supported Resolution
7500 center image lumens
Variable 30,000:1 contrast ratio using dynamic iris (full on/full off)
650:1 ANSI for crisp, detailed images
Smallest chassis in its class saving space and reducing noise with our exclusive WhisperFan™
"No Interference" long range remote operating at 38Khz
Comprehensive Gamma Adjustment (CGA™)
Embedded LED autoadjusting "white light" long-life bulb (up to 20,000 hours)
Dust sealed engine, filter-free design
Upgraded Lens System (ULS™) for zoom, focus, horizontal and vertical offset
Up to 300 Inch Creen Size (Scalable 42" - 300")

Included with Purchase:

- 1 Pearl 3G 1080p 3D Projector ($3999 Value)
- 1 75" Retractable Screen ($179 Value)
- 2 Pairs 3D Glasses ($129 Value)
- 1 Ceiling Mounting Bracket ($199 Value)
- 1 Hyperspeed 3D HDMI Cable (25') - ($79 Value)
- 1 PC Connection Cable (10') - ($9.99 Value)
- 1 Smartphone Connector (10') - ($39.99 Value)
- 1 Remote Control
- 1 Power Cord

As you can see the extras ALONE are worth well more than $400 so your basically getting the projector for FREE! The cool thing about this projector is that it includes a smartphone adapter so you can plug directly into the projector and stream movies straight from your smartphone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nah, the extras alone aren't even worth $400 and surely the projector isn't either.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Why not jump on their website and look for their customer support phone number? How about their address? Certainly they have a good email address or contact form?

As is often the case, this is a cheap P.O.S. junk company which has an artificially inflated price associated with a white van scam setup.

A quick Google search - and look at that, not even a website for the product!

Reality: 75" retractable screen - about $60 or less online (and someone makes a profit on it)
3D Glasses (anaglyph) - $.20 (that's twenty cents... maybe less)
Ceiling Mount Bracket - $10 for cheap ones
25' HDMI cable - $15
PC Connection cable - $4
Smartphone Connector (WTH is this?) - $10 maybe

So, that's less than $100 in accessories from companies which make a profit at that dollar figure.

Consider that they are advertising those items at six times the value listed, then apply that (in spades) to their projector.

A good company doesn't deceive their MSRP by that much. Maybe a couple hundred bucks or so on many models. But, they are way off.

Good companies also have a website, they will have contact information, warranty information, an address. It doesn't even take that much effort for a company to appear to be reputable, but these guys don't even go that far.

Saying 1080p support is like saying your car is a jet because you can put jet fuel into it. No, this is not a 1080p projector, it is not a full HD 3D projector either.

That's not to say it isn't worth $300 or maybe even worth $400, but considering you can get true 1080p front projection for under $1,000 today, the thought to buy into this kind of scam is foolish.

Look for a companies website if you've never heard of them. If you can't find it, then ask, and be prepared for the reality of the scam.

EDIT: Wait! Found a link for Platinum Projectors - http://www.platinumsmartcinema.com/
Here's the Pearl 3G - http://www.platinumsmartcinema.com/pearl-3g.html

Wow, the specifications are even bigger deceptions than the advertisements being fed to others. And a nearly $5,000 MSRP. What a joke.

They do have a contact sheet there... I recommend everyone use it to get manuals, specifications, and ask about service centers, lamp replacements, etc. Find out as much as you can since you can't call them and there is still no address to work through. (China?)

I strongly encourage everyone to talk about these companies and how everyone should avoid this type of white van scam marketing.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I asked the seller twice for the brand and model number and he just responded with "Pear 3g" but he had a picture in the ad which showed "Platinum" as the manufacturer on the box.
A bit of research and I it seems that the old adage to good to be true falls into play in this situation, after texting the guys a few questions I asked him since he had numerous sets that he was selling that he would have one of them set up in his home for me to check the picture quality.

The guy told me I would be able to plug it in to check it once he dropped it off to me which was a red flag, second red flag was the fact he wouldn't give the manufacturer name after I asked him twice and the funal straw was the fact that I cant seem to find anything online.

After doing a Google search for Platinum all I was able to find was a Platinum projector for sale on Amazon with only 1 review which was only 1 star with a comment form the reviewer stating that thee were nothing short of the 'White van electronics" scammers"

Needless to say I will pass.

Thanks guys
post #5 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I responded with your exact response after looking for this product myself.

Thanks
post #6 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The $5,195 HD-22K Actually has some specs listed! Funny, none of the manual links seem to work.
1080P supported resolution (800x600 native)
7,500 center image lumens (I wonder what the outer image is)
Looks like all the PJs are 7" Thin Film Transfer TFT-LCD panel. And “With 3D Ready Anaglyph Video imaging” wow!
Gotta like the disclaimer” Suggested prices don’t represent a bonafied selling price in the metro area. Model numbers, specifications and prices subject to change without notice.”
So a single LCD, SVGA PJ. I think my old Epson S1+ is worth more.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Why not jump on their website and look for their customer support phone number? How about their address? Certainly they have a good email address or contact form?

As is often the case, this is a cheap P.O.S. junk company which has an artificially inflated price associated with a white van scam setup.

A quick Google search - and look at that, not even a website for the product!

Reality: 75" retractable screen - about $60 or less online (and someone makes a profit on it)
3D Glasses (anaglyph) - $.20 (that's twenty cents... maybe less)
Ceiling Mount Bracket - $10 for cheap ones
25' HDMI cable - $15
PC Connection cable - $4
Smartphone Connector (WTH is this?) - $10 maybe

So, that's less than $100 in accessories from companies which make a profit at that dollar figure.

Consider that they are advertising those items at six times the value listed, then apply that (in spades) to their projector.

A good company doesn't deceive their MSRP by that much. Maybe a couple hundred bucks or so on many models. But, they are way off.

Good companies also have a website, they will have contact information, warranty information, an address. It doesn't even take that much effort for a company to appear to be reputable, but these guys don't even go that far.

Saying 1080p support is like saying your car is a jet because you can put jet fuel into it. No, this is not a 1080p projector, it is not a full HD 3D projector either.

That's not to say it isn't worth $300 or maybe even worth $400, but considering you can get true 1080p front projection for under $1,000 today, the thought to buy into this kind of scam is foolish.

Look for a companies website if you've never heard of them. If you can't find it, then ask, and be prepared for the reality of the scam.

EDIT: Wait! Found a link for Platinum Projectors - http://www.platinumsmartcinema.com/
Here's the Pearl 3G - http://www.platinumsmartcinema.com/pearl-3g.html

Wow, the specifications are even bigger deceptions than the advertisements being fed to others. And a nearly $5,000 MSRP. What a joke.

They do have a contact sheet there... I recommend everyone use it to get manuals, specifications, and ask about service centers, lamp replacements, etc. Find out as much as you can since you can't call them and there is still no address to work through. (China?)

I strongly encourage everyone to talk about these companies and how everyone should avoid this type of white van scam marketing.

I totally agree, bunch of deceiving thieves, you know the best part about this, my text's between the seller an me, the last text he sent me was " let me know asap if you want it, I have a bunch of people interested in it and want it after work today so let know asap"

His Craigslist ad states the following.
Quote:
I just got 10 of these at a Convention I worked at. The displayer didnt want to take the time, or energy to tear down the booth and then box and ship everything back so in exchange for my labor he gave me 10 which is one pallet!

These are top of the line 1080P Digital Projectors with an MSRP of over $3000 each.

I'm not looking to get rich off of them and priced them to sell so if you would like one please send me a message as soon as possible as they will definitely go fast!!

What a bunch of BS, thanks for info and for saving me from buying crap.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
White van scam POS !
post #9 of 10 Old 12-06-2013, 06:54 PM

I just found this posting on my local craigslist as well and had to make an account on these forums just to reply!  So the one they are posting near me is also the Pearl 3G, but now they show the native resolution as 1920x1080.  They have also upped the screen size from 300" to 325" and some of the verbiage has been changed from slight engrish to more technically accurate terms.  It seams they are upgrading the terminology and such to make them appear more legit.

This is 100% a WHITE VAN SCAM and I really hope the average non tech savy person does a google search to find these posts before buying.  Remember that this same scam has so many other electronics involved, not just projectors.  People always say "DO YOUR RESEARCH" but if you don't have the time at least do a google search to ensure something looks "real."

LenXIII

post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenXIII View Post

I just found this posting on my local craigslist as well and had to make an account on these forums just to reply!  So the one they are posting near me is also the Pearl 3G, but now they show the native resolution as 1920x1080.  They have also upped the screen size from 300" to 325" and some of the verbiage has been changed from slight engrish to more technically accurate terms.  It seams they are upgrading the terminology and such to make them appear more legit.

This is 100% a WHITE VAN SCAM and I really hope the average non tech savy person does a google search to find these posts before buying.  Remember that this same scam has so many other electronics involved, not just projectors.  People always say "DO YOUR RESEARCH" but if you don't have the time at least do a google search to ensure something looks "real."

LenXIII

Glad I checked here before jumping on this so called deal, they are all over Vegas on Craigslist scamming people with this garbage
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page