Please comment on comparison between sony vpl hw50ES Vs panasonic AE 8000. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Seeking suggestions for $1500 to $2500 price range projectors.
Higher lumens. Not for me but for a friend, to use overseas - pal/ntsc/hdtv.
Assuming 95" screen width. 16X9.
3D not required.
Thanks

Updated... 10-10-13

There are a lot of worthy projectors in this price range.. It is confusing to me to try and select one of them. Epson, Optomoa, BenQ.. are all very good. For simplicity sake, I narrowed it down to Sony and Panasonic.

Please comment on comparison between sony vpl hw50ES Vs panasonic AE 8000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 73
What are you wanting from your projector is what it comes down to. Some basic questions below so we can tgry and help you more.

Also does your budget include a screen or is it just for the projector?
Do you know if you plane on going with a 1.78:1 screen or a scope 2.35:1 screen?
What screen size are you aiming for?
How important is 3d to you? Have you seen 3d on a dlp? What is more important to you, the best 3d or black levels? Would you sacrifice black levels at all for what is more or less 'perfect' 3d?
What are the dimensions of the room you intend to use it in?
What is the room like? Is it light controlled, what color are the walls and ceiling?
Will you be watching just films, or will you be watching sports or playing games?

Two basic recommendations I would give is the Panasonic AE8000 if 3d is of minimal importance for you, especially if you are going with a scope screen as it has a zoom function and one that is automatic as well. If you are going with a 16:9 screen and you want the best 3d possible in this price range then I would recommend the Benq w7000. With the Benq w7000 the black levels aren't quite as good as the Panasonic but the image in 3d essentially ghost free, the benq w7000 also makes more noise then the ae8000 which in eco mode is more or less whisper quite (one of my favorite things about the ae8000 it can even be right on top of your head and you can barely hear it on eco mode). Be aware that whilst Panasonic make excellent product there customer service is notoriously bad at times.

I shall do my best to help where I can. I wouldn't recommend Epson due to past dealings and issues I have had with there projectors but many do like them, but0 I do think the panny and benq tend to be the leaders in this price range depending of course on what you are after.
audvid likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-08-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Good questions Filmreverie.
Budget is $1500 to $2500 for Projector only. Could go up to $3000, if the improvement is significant from $1500 budget. My opinion is that there is not much of a difference between projectors in $1500 to $3500 range.. (excluding 3D)..

3D is not important - not even required.
Not sure of the screen size and room details.. We can assume 95" width (projector is not for me. A friend asked for suggestions and I am not familiar with current gen projectors. I have a Sony Qualia 004 on a 140" wide screen).
I forgot to mention.. This is for overseas use - so it needs to be Pal/NTSC.
16X3 screen size.
Watching films.
Higher lumen output, rather than black levels would be a preference.
Thanks
post #4 of 4 Old 10-08-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Please comment on comparison between sony vpl hw50ES Vs panasonic AE 8000.
Is one better than the other?
Thanks.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page