Panasonic PT-AE8000U: high pitched whining issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just bought a AE8000U and it's pretty good all around but the high pitched whining sound it emits is driving me crazy, especially because it's only about 3 ft above my head (installed in my basement in the duct framing that extends below the ceiling). I had this issue with my old Sony AW11 but I hated it back then too. I read a couple threads that others have had this issue too so a couple questions if anyone could answer would be awesome:

1. What is the high pitched whining sound coming from? One reason I got the AE8000U is the low noise level, but the whining is louder and more distracting that the fan so it's kind of irrelevant.

2. Is the whining sound generally on all/most projectors, or certain types or quality projectors (e.g. not on high end projectors? How widespread is it for the AE8000U?

3. Am I likely to have the same issue if I get a different AE8000U? Or should I try a different projector instead?

Thanks in advance for any info/input!

BACK TO BLU!
impetigo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 10-10-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I was wondering if you compared the panasonic 8000 to the sony hw50es.. your thoughts?
audvid is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post

Just bought a AE8000U and it's pretty good all around but the high pitched whining sound it emits is driving me crazy, especially because it's only about 3 ft above my head (installed in my basement in the duct framing that extends below the ceiling). I had this issue with my old Sony AW11 but I hated it back then too. I read a couple threads that others have had this issue too so a couple questions if anyone could answer would be awesome:

1. What is the high pitched whining sound coming from? One reason I got the AE8000U is the low noise level, but the whining is louder and more distracting that the fan so it's kind of irrelevant.

2. Is the whining sound generally on all/most projectors, or certain types or quality projectors (e.g. not on high end projectors? How widespread is it for the AE8000U?

3. Am I likely to have the same issue if I get a different AE8000U? Or should I try a different projector instead?

Thanks in advance for any info/input!

You'll likely a better response if you post in the correct forum and owner's thread.

Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version)

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 10-10-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

I was wondering if you compared the panasonic 8000 to the sony hw50es.. your thoughts?

I've actually only tried/owned one other projector, the Sony AW11 that I mentioned above (a great 720p projector btw). It also had the whining noise but I had it installed on a shelf fairly high above the couch that it did not bother me as much. So close to my head the noise from the AE8000U is really annoying, although mostly on quiet scenes.

BACK TO BLU!
impetigo is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 10-10-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

You'll likely a better response if you post in the correct forum and owner's thread.

Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version)

Thanks. I guess so, although it's no longer a $3k+ projector so I thought I'd post here. Also I thought it might get more replies here rather than get buried in a massive thread. I'll try posting it there too.

BACK TO BLU!
impetigo is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Projectors , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off