Buying Advice!!! Please help... Vivitek Q5 vs Optoma ML550 vs LG PA70G - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am verge of buying Q5... I am so glad I have came across AVS forum.

which one is best for watching movies in a small room?

I prefer to have best image quality, small size and not breaking the bank...

Please suggest....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 10-11-2013, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

up!Up!up!

post #3 of 35 Old 10-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'd vote none of the above.

Why are you set on these 3? For just a little more you can get something much better.
post #4 of 35 Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Of the 3 LED 720p PJ's you are interested in, I would say the pa70g wins hands down.

There is also the pa75u that has built in tv tuner, wifi, smart apps, and native 3d built in, that you might want to look into.

Also a new 1080p LED from LG coming out in a week or 2, but it most likely will about around 1,000 dollars.

Maybe read the amazon user reviews on all 3 models and on the pa75u.

Look on youtube for video reviews on the different models, and check how much activity there is in these forum rooms on the models you are interested in.

I did pick up the pa70g around 11 months ago NEW for 399 dollars from fry's. It have 2 year warranty, and 6 watts of stereo speakers that kick butt in small form factor. Also of the 3 models you listed it's 700 lumens compared to 500 lumens, and the other 2 models are 1 generation older than the pa70g.

The advantage of these LED PJ's is 30,000 hours without having to change bulbs, but you got to have a dark room to get good picture.

I think the feeling is that the pa70g/pa75u are good value in 720p LED's compared to other LED's in same class, have better features, 2 year warranty, good remote.

Some of the guys are excited about the new pf80 coming out, it's in 1080p and 1,000 lumens. We don't know how much better it is than the pa70g/75u yet.

Maybe check newegg user reviews too.
post #5 of 35 Old 10-11-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

I'd vote none of the above.

Why are you set on these 3? For just a little more you can get something much better.

which ones you are reffering to? I chose theses due to size and portability and good image reproduction. I am always open to suggestion, so Please feel free to make your comments, I would love to hear the words from experts :)

post #6 of 35 Old 10-11-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

Of the 3 LED 720p PJ's you are interested in, I would say the pa70g wins hands down...........

Thanks for your reply. I really wanted something portable thus chose those 3 as they are quiet light. I am excited about PF80G, but its 2.2KG. Not remains a portable anymore. Latest release is ML550.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGiFnBo3LM8

Came accross this video where he shows the brightness of LG pa70g and ML550? is it Justifiable? I heard there is problem with focusing on LG PA70G, what is your findings?

I am really confused atm. Just borrowd Philips Picopix 2480 from a friend to test, in a dark room 80 Lum also can do a good job I would say, even though Picture quality is not the top notch...

post #7 of 35 Old 10-12-2013, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARXV1dNInPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JIWJ1EVwZg

What would concern me with the optoma is 1 watt mono speaker with NO audio out at all! Why would the reviewers not talk about that. That means all you can do if you use hdmi or usb stick or whatever is get 1 watt mono speaker. How good can the reviews for that model be if they don't tell you that. ONE mono watt for audio! Period!,

In comparision, the LG pa70/75 have 6 watts of stereo sound PLUS you can plug in external speakers using AUDIO OUT.

Also nothing was said about fan noise on the optoma, the pa70/75 as low fan noise on medium/low eco settings, On high it is acceptable.
Now on tiny optoma unit the FAN NOISE has to be louder because smaller unit and components heat up more, bigger size distributes the heat better.

Optoma is 1 year warranty, LG 2 year warranty
Look at the remotes on both, the LG is great remote and the optoma has the cheezy clicklet type with special watch battery replacements.
Both units are portable , and the LG comes with carrying case. At the end of the day, are you always going to be traveling or are you going to be most of the time in one place.
20,000 hours with optoma, 30,000 hours with LG.

The only problem some people experienced with the LG models is if they got a unfocused model. If they did, they just exchanged it for focused model. No other problems reported that I'm aware of. Now you have to align the PJ with the center of the screen to know if you have focused model, if you ceiling mount it or it's not centered with screen , some part will be unfocused. So hard to know how many people reporting aligned the PJ with center screen. Very important to ask them. smile.gif
post #8 of 35 Old 10-12-2013, 03:47 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapash View Post

Thanks for your reply. I really wanted something portable thus chose those 3 as they are quiet light. I am excited about PF80G, but its 2.2KG. Not remains a portable anymore. Latest release is ML550.

Came accross this video where he shows the brightness of LG pa70g and ML550? is it Justifiable? I heard there is problem with focusing on LG PA70G, what is your findings?

I am really confused atm. Just borrowd Philips Picopix 2480 from a friend to test, in a dark room 80 Lum also can do a good job I would say, even though Picture quality is not the top notch...

In this Video he compared the Projectors out of the Box. Not a good base for a Comparison if you want to calibrate the Projectors a bit to watch movies. In other Tests they measured 540 Lumens for the LG in Bright Mode.  540Lumens are still 160 Lumens less than the 700 stated by LG, but much more than the 290 the Guy measured in his Video. Maybe the preset of his LG was Energy Saving - Maximum, which means Full Eco Mode.

post #9 of 35 Old 10-12-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARXV1dNInPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JIWJ1EVwZg

What would concern me with the optoma is 1 watt mono speaker with NO audio out at all! Why would the reviewers not talk about that. That means all you can do if you use hdmi or usb stick or whatever is get 1 watt mono speaker. How good can the reviews for that model be if they don't tell you that. ONE mono watt for audio! Period!,

In comparision, the LG pa70/75 have 6 watts of stereo sound PLUS you can plug in external speakers using AUDIO OUT.

Also nothing was said about fan noise on the optoma, the pa70/75 as low fan noise on medium/low eco settings, On high it is acceptable.
Now on tiny optoma unit the FAN NOISE has to be louder because smaller unit and components heat up more, bigger size distributes the heat better.

Optoma is 1 year warranty, LG 2 year warranty
Look at the remotes on both, the LG is great remote and the optoma has the cheezy clicklet type with special watch battery replacements.
Both units are portable , and the LG comes with carrying case. At the end of the day, are you always going to be traveling or are you going to be most of the time in one place.
20,000 hours with optoma, 30,000 hours with LG.

The only problem some people experienced with the LG models is if they got a unfocused model. If they did, they just exchanged it for focused model. No other problems reported that I'm aware of. Now you have to align the PJ with the center of the screen to know if you have focused model, if you ceiling mount it or it's not centered with screen , some part will be unfocused. So hard to know how many people reporting aligned the PJ with center screen. Very important to ask them. smile.gif

Thanks again for your time to explain all Pros & Cons :)

After considering all the features provided by LG compared to the rivals, I am slowly leaning towards LG now. But I can not find a good reason to buy PA75 because I dont have LG TV, dont need all the extra features, its bigger in size too  and here in UK PA75 is not yet available. But I would definitely consider PA70G or even PB60G as my budget is low,  PB60 is 1/3 lighter than PA70 and compact in size, and £100 cheaper. So, Now need to decide which one would I buy... checking the PB60g reviews at the moment.

UPDATE: http://youtu.be/Vm0qAcx3EpQ

Brightness & Contrast pulls towards PA70 but Compact size & wallet speaks towards PB60?

Thank god! at least came to a choice of 2. Please enlighten me if you have more thoughts to chose me the best....

I just cant Thank enough to AVSForum & many helpful guys :)

post #10 of 35 Old 10-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe keep researching it going into the LG pa60 forum room and getting up to speed on how users feel about the PJ. Take your time, because xmas season is almost here, and maybe a good sale will come up.
As you keep researching , you will start to compare different features, and pro's and con's of stuff.
You looking on youtube and checking forum rooms of models you are interested in, and reading user reviews will at least give you best info "up to the minute".
Maybe buy it from place that has good return policy so you can return it if it doesn't work for you.

p.s. When I said the pa75u has built in tv tuner, that means you don't need LG tv to get stations. The PJ itself receives over the air TV stations, so it's a tv too. Not sure you understood what that feature did. The pa75u does TV stations without anything else, and comes with tv antenna. But if you don't watch tv then you don't need that feature.
post #11 of 35 Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Optoma ML550

rgtaa: you should not comment on a projector you know nothing about, namely the Optoma ML550. This is what you said: "What would concern me with the optoma is 1 watt mono speaker with NO audio out at all! Why would the reviewers not talk about that."

This statement is incorrect; there IS analog AUDIO OUT from the ML550, with the supplied cable, and analog audio volume control. This is why reviewers did not talk about this "issue," because it is not a problem (although, yes, you need the included cable with standard 3.5" female plug to do it and that is not ideal). See the ML500 manual.

I understand favoring what one buys, and flogging it for others, fine. But...

Here is a recent Amazon review of the Optoma ML550:

"I researched several of the smaller portable projectors, ie LG, Qumi, and this was the one I decided on after trying out several. The output quality is excellent. The sound from the built in speaker is marginal at best, but the mini audio out included with the universal I/O cable works great with my portable iPad/iPhone stereo speaker unit. The audio plays out this port even when you use HDMI in for the video/audio signal. Nice to have this option for times I will use for movies or video presentations."
post #12 of 35 Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 PM

i was in similar situation and ended up comparing ML550 and Benq GP10 and chose Benq.
it was 100 EUR cheaper and has more connections, but i think its not available in US atm.
if benq was not an optioni would have chosen ML550 for its size and (hopefully) better focus over LG.

one thing that might affect your decision though is that ML550 max image size is 100" (specs), guess this is limited due the focus wheel.

above is based only on info online, havent seen any of these in action.
post #13 of 35 Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM

I'd go with the PA75U if you can get it.  The video quality is pretty great plus you get all the bonus features, especially supporting all the 3d formats.  That's what I went with and couldn't be happier.

post #14 of 35 Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 AM
eb3

This was a good discussion but I am confused on lumens. Can someone explain why my Optoma HD 65 supposedly has 1100 lumens (and only does 720p) but these three 1080p projectors only have 550-700 lumens?
post #15 of 35 Old 11-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3 View Post

This was a good discussion but I am confused on lumens. Can someone explain why my Optoma HD 65 supposedly has 1100 lumens (and only does 720p) but these three 1080p projectors only have 550-700 lumens?

Yeah, you are very confused. smile.gif

These are not 1080p PJ's. smile.gif

These are LED PJ's! You bought a bulb PJ.
post #16 of 35 Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM
eb3

ok, but my point is the old 720 projector sounds like it's a lot brighter than these newer 1080p LED projectors. But certainly the LG PA75U is plenty bright enough, right?

I hope so cuz i bought one! smile.gif

p.s.-what do you mean by PJ?
post #17 of 35 Old 11-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:

ok, but my point is the old 720 projector sounds like it's a lot brighter than these newer 1080p LED projectors. But certainly the LG PA75U is plenty bright enough, right?

I hope so cuz i bought one! smile.gif

p.s.-what do you mean by PJ?

PJ = Projector

I got the pa75u also, and I'm very happy with it.
post #18 of 35 Old 11-12-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshok View Post

PJ = Projector

I got the pa75u also, and I'm very happy with it.

My 42"plasma just died and I'm torn on replacing it with another tv or the pa75u..I currently have a projector ceiling mounted and it does the job for football,movies,xbox360,and htpc hooked to it(been playing xbox on 480 and looks fine to me)...but its an older Viewsonic PJ658 and I'm done buying bulbs for it. How does the pa75u do on games?
post #19 of 35 Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekmccoy View Post

My 42"plasma just died and I'm torn on replacing it with another tv or the pa75u..I currently have a projector ceiling mounted and it does the job for football,movies,xbox360,and htpc hooked to it(been playing xbox on 480 and looks fine to me)...but its an older Viewsonic PJ658 and I'm done buying bulbs for it. How does the pa75u do on games?

The pa75u plays games fine. I play 360 games on my 42 inch hdtv's usually, like you. If my 42 inch hdtv went south on me, I would pick up another one before I picked up a pj because I could use it in all lighting conditions.

It is nice to play games on the big screen or watch a movie on big screen, but the room has to be dark, so it's more for "special viewing". the pa75u would be great LED 720P PJ, so it's better than your older viewsonic that is only 480p. I don't know maybe you need both a new 42inch hdtv and new PJ. smile.gif
post #20 of 35 Old 11-12-2013, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the input.
The viewsonic I have is capable of doing 1080i,it's just that I didn't have the switch on my xbox on for higher resolution..The room I'm using now can go totally dark,and I'm wanting a PJ that I don't have to worry if the kids turn it off/on,or if the power goes off(which happens alot) or if I happen to fall asleep watching.
post #21 of 35 Old 11-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Even the new LGPF80G will be portable, well sort of it's larger than the rest of those LED projectors.
Perhaps you might want to wait for LG to release their PF80G model that you might get at a discounted Black Friday price.
I sure with I could sell my LGPA75U and get this LGPF85U instead.
I bought the LGPA75U for $ 650 and willing to let it go for $ 550.
post #22 of 35 Old 11-13-2013, 02:47 PM

I've got a PS3 hooked up to mine and it works great.  That's exactly the reason why I bought the PA75U... because I have kids that aren't as thoughtful to make sure to turn it off.  You can find the PA75U for less than $600 new at most places.  For me and my family, it's totally worth it, and honestly, we're in our theater room every day now since we got it..

post #23 of 35 Old 11-13-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 113
You can get the ML550 for $499, and I think it is better than the other two, besides being more portable and newer.
post #24 of 35 Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

You can get the ML550 for $499, and I think it is better than the other two, besides being more portable and newer.

Can't hurt to read the reviews on all the models.

The ML550 has one year warranty, the LG 75u has 2 years in USA.
The ML550 has 20,000 hours on LED, the LG 75 has 30,000 hours.
The ML550 has 1 mono watt speaker, the LG 75 has 2 3watt stereo speakers.
The LG 75 has tv tuner built in, wifi, smart apps, is 700 lumesn compared to 500 lumens.
The LG 75 has native 3d, meaning you can watch 3d from memory stick, over wifi, you don't need pc or anything special whereas the ML550 you need pc that has good graphics card to get it to work.

But read the forum rooms on all the different PJ's and amazon reviews and pro reviews. I don't care what you buy, research is your friend. smile.gif
post #25 of 35 Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Optoma ML550

rgtaa: you should not comment on a projector you know nothing about, namely the Optoma ML550. This is what you said: "What would concern me with the optoma is 1 watt mono speaker with NO audio out at all! Why would the reviewers not talk about that."

This statement is incorrect; there IS analog AUDIO OUT from the ML550, with the supplied cable, and analog audio volume control. This is why reviewers did not talk about this "issue," because it is not a problem (although, yes, you need the included cable with standard 3.5" female plug to do it and that is not ideal). See the ML500 manual.

I understand favoring what one buys, and flogging it for others, fine. But...

Here is a recent Amazon review of the Optoma ML550:

"I researched several of the smaller portable projectors, ie LG, Qumi, and this was the one I decided on after trying out several. The output quality is excellent. The sound from the built in speaker is marginal at best, but the mini audio out included with the universal I/O cable works great with my portable iPad/iPhone stereo speaker unit. The audio plays out this port even when you use HDMI in for the video/audio signal. Nice to have this option for times I will use for movies or video presentations."

Gee, I didn't realize that the Optoma ML550 had audio out, I looked at the back of the unit, and didn't see audio out/headphone icon or anything else. There are 5 or 6 pictures of the unit, front and back, it looks like special propriety adapter needed, but look for yourself.
Optoma Technology ML550 3D Ready Mobile LED Projector
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984071-REG/optoma_technology_ml550_wxga_multi_region_3d.html/c/product/#inpage:IN+STOCK#inpage:Free+Shipping+%28USA%29
Look at the pictures of the back of ML550 unit, and look at the cheap ass remote. Then look at the pictures and video (13 minute unboxing of 75u) on newegg's site on the pa75u, and the 2 remotes, and all the goodies that come with the pa75u. You can look at pictures of back of both units. And you decide which one to get. smile.gif
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005485

One other thing, there are only 4 posts total ( I could find when I did search) on thread on Optoma ML550, and hundreds of posts on the pa70/75/60, tons of more people looking at those models, that should tell you something. smile.gif
post #26 of 35 Old 11-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Good point about the LGPA70G/75U compared to all those other LED projectors with 3D.
Those who insist on buying the the LGPA70G will find out the hard way that's it's more frustrating and problematic to get the 3D working with or without contorting your self.
Just go ahead and spend a few more dollars and get the PA75U and be done with it.
All you have to do with the PA75U is has the right glasses and push a button and enjoy.
The other projectors ? you will need a external converter to get it to work and a work around.
post #27 of 35 Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

I should have said, good point about the PA75U not the PA70G.
The PA70G you would still need a external converter to get it to work right.
post #28 of 35 Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 AM
eb3

Is there any fix out there for the one huge problem w the PA75U. THERE IS NO ZOOM!!!!! So you determine the image size by the distance away from the screen. PERIOD!! If you have a fixed spot and a 120" screen, you better pray that fixed spot is the exact distance from the screen to yield a 120" image.

In my case it yields about a 160" image. I am screwed. I built a projector lift years ago which lowers down at the push of a button to clear a beam which is in the way. It worked great w my Optoma and the inFocus I had before that. Both had zooms which would make the final adjustment as long as you were close to the right distance for the desired image size. This is not the case with the much more advanced PA75. I just got off the phone w tech support and they were aware of the problem and said there's nothing I can do, but maybe you gurus know a trick....??
post #29 of 35 Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is there any fix out there for the one huge problem w the PA75U. THERE IS NO ZOOM!!!!! So you determine the image size by the distance away from the screen. PERIOD!! If you have a fixed spot and a 120" screen, you better pray that fixed spot is the exact distance from the screen to yield a 120" image.

In my case it yields about a 160" image. I am screwed. I built a projector lift years ago which lowers down at the push of a button to clear a beam which is in the way. It worked great w my Optoma and the inFocus I had before that. Both had zooms which would make the final adjustment as long as you were close to the right distance for the desired image size. This is not the case with the much more advanced PA75. I just got off the phone w tech support and they were aware of the problem and said there's nothing I can do, but maybe you gurus know a trick....??

Yeah, no zoom or lens shift. Not sure anything can be done for you. For 80 inch widescreen you need to be able 8 feet back, for 120 inch widescreen 12 feet back. Now in defense of something like the pa75u or other LED PJ's, they are lighter weight, and more portable. Also when you built that projector lift a number of years ago, it was built for the PROJECTOR you bought back then, that needed to be at that spot. If you never had PJ before, and you bought the pa75u, you would build NEW projector lift at exact spot that would give you perfect screen size. Yes, zoom does allow you to adjust screen size, and lens shift allows you to move the image, both nice features.

p.s. I came up with suggestion. Get a pole that has threads on it, and in ceiling have matching threads. When you decide to use the PJ, have the PJ attached to pole via tripod mount, and just screw it into ceiling. The pole length would be for "perfect placement", coming down to center of screen height. Then when you don't need PJ set up , unscrew pole. Also, maybe make electric extending pole, so it is flat on ceiling, and drops down to right height. Get creative. Or look in pa60 thread, some guy was into using mirrors to move picture to where he wanted it or increase screen size.

I usually place mine on tripod or set on bookshelve behind me. Good luck. Maybe others will have cool suggestions. Or get bulb PJ with lens shift and zoom.
post #30 of 35 Old 11-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapash View Post

I have an acer hd6510bd that is 2.2 kg and it's still quite portable, comes with it's own portable bag. I'm not sure if you can get it cheap in the UK but newegg.com has it on sale for $630 us currency.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Ml550 Wxga 500 Led Lumens Mobile Projector , Vivitek Qumi Q5 500 Lumen Uxga Hd 720p Hdmi 3d Ready Pocket Dlp Projector With 4gb Memory Black , Lg Electronics Pa70g Micro Portable Led Projector
Gear in this thread - Ml550 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page