Bedroom Projector Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-13-2013, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a strange projector setup in my bedroom and want to replace my aging Epson 810 (720p) with a newer 1080p model. I have a 72" screen (11" top to ceiling), 11' -0" lens to screen, and the projector is just about centered in relation to the screen (28" to ceiling). I see the Epson 8350 will work, but are there any others? This projector is used for TV and movies every evening and also during the day on most weekends. The 810 has really served me well, but I could use more light in the daylight hours. 3D is really not important since my Mitsu 65" DLP TV and Optoma projector in the living room take care of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-13-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have an HC400 that's still in service that's pretty similar in light output to the 810. When I A/B'd it with my 8350, the 8350 was significantly brighter ( both had new lamps). If you don't want to change your mount of screen position, then the 8350 and the Panasonic AR100 are probably the least expensive options. I've never seen the panasonic, but from all reports I've seen it's a flamethrower, and may be the best fit for your needs.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 69
Given your screen size is 'only' 72" any modern projector should light that up easily. Given that you haven't really stated a budget I would recommend the Panasonic ae8000 and JVC x35 as they are imho are the best projectors due to the picture quality and electronic zoom and focus provided at there respective price points and both are more then bright enough for a 72" screen. The JVC is better then the Panasonic but it also costs more. However given that you have stated the Epson 8350 is one your looking at i'm assuming your budget is lower, you could get a refurbished w7000 for that price which is an excellent projector in near on every way but the black levels, though it's lamp life is only rated at 2000 to 2500 hours and there are several that should last notably longer.

I myself have been looking at the new epsons, but there continued poor CQ and terrible warranty solutions where I live will almost ensure that I wont pick one up and I would never recommend them.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-13-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you mentioned the Panasonic. I didn't realize that it would work in my situation and after reading about it, it looks to be a contender. Thanks.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

I can't seem to find any DLP projectors that would work.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshelton View Post

I can't seem to find any DLP projectors that would work.

Can I confirm it is 11 foot from projector to screen? Also what is your viewing distance? As much as I love projectors it sounds as if a plasma may be a better choose for this room.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Lens to screen is 11'-2" Viewing distance is same. Projector is overhead. Top of Screen to ceiling is 11" Lens to ceiling is 28" (but I could move shelf up) Everything fits perfect and my wife and I love the 72" screen that pulls down in front of the stereo equipment. If I went with a big plasma, I would have to move around everything to make it work. And besides, I wouldn't have a spare projector for my living room setup.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-20-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Decided to buy a little larger screen 80" moved my shelf up and over a little, so now the projector lens is exactly in the center of the screen horizontally and is about 4" above the center of the screen. Still 11'-1" screen to lens. Not many choices that will work in the center of the screen. It looks like my only choices below $1500 is Epson 8350/8345, Panasonic PT-AR100U, and a BenQ W6000 refurb. I may go with a 8345 refurb at $829
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page