Projector Surround Sound Acer 6510bd - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have an Acer 6510 projector. I am trying to connect it to my home theater system. The acer doesn't have a toslink or digital coaxial output, just a 3.5 mm output. What can I do to get surround sound from my projector. I have all of my systems going through my projector, visually (computer, xbox, top box, etc). So far, nothing is working. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I can't imagine what kind of home theater system you have but for optimal results your Acer should be connected by hdmi cable to your receivers output. Hdmi handles video and audio.
pop10 likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

The projector has speakers on it. Putting the hdmi into the receivers output doesn't do anything for sound, just the picture. Right now, I am using a 3.5 mm to y rca from projector to surround. It plays but it is not true surround sound. i have my xbox, cablebox and computer going to an hdmi switch and the switch is going to the projector. 

post #4 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

The speakers are a convenience because no matter where you take the projector you have some audio.

Anyway all your systems should not be going through your projector. Your computer, xbox, cable/satellite box, Blu-ray player should be inputs into your receiver, preferably by hdmi. your projector is the output of the receiver. Your speakers (left, right, center, surrounds, subwoofer, etc.) are connected to the receiver and the receiver makes the surround system available to all your connected components.
pop10 likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Sony BRAVIA DAV-DZ170 Home Theater System. It doesn't have hdmi input. The only input it has is toslink, which doesn't seem to work, and a digital coaxial audio, which does work. Everything else is output. It has a dvd attached. 

post #6 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the details. That system is quite an albatross. It's fine within its bubble, but you can't step outside of it. It has hdmi out but you can't feed it any high quality sources. With a 1080p projector you want to feed it some blu-ray and hi def cable and you can't do that with your theater system. Those non standard speaker connections on the back of the receiver are a big warning sign.

You need to ditch this system and get a proper 3D receiver. If you don't have a lot of funds I always suggest you search Best Buy's open box and clearance deals. I don't know about the quality of the speakers you have, but from a few pics it seems they can take regular speaker wire so they can be salvaged and work with a standard receiver. However the subwoofer doesn't have the connections available to attach to any other receiver.
pop10 likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 11:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop10 View Post

I have a Sony BRAVIA DAV-DZ170 Home Theater System. It doesn't have hdmi input. The only input it has is toslink, which doesn't seem to work, and a digital coaxial audio, which does work. Everything else is output. It has a dvd attached. 
You have to use the optical and coaxial audio. If the optical isn't working make sure your cable is good. Those reportedly can damage easily. But also make sure the game system or other player has optical output set in the menu. You also will likely need to toggle the audio in button on the remote to switch between optical and coaxial.
pop10 likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-15-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Let's be clear, the Sony is not a receiver, it's a home theater in a box kit, which you should have asked about before purchasing.

The Acer is a display device, much like a computer monitor. It has 'convenience' speakers in it, but it is a display device, it is not a Audio/Video switcher, it wasn't designed to be. That's what a proper A/V receiver does, and you don't have one.

A proper A/V receiver will have several HDMI inputs. Often as many as 3-7 or more. The receiver extracts the audio from the HDMI input, and passes on video to the projector (no audio). The receiver then can switch between all of your sources conveniently, processes high definition audio for surround sound, and powers all the connected speakers.

Something like this:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR515/Onkyo-TX-NR515-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

Now, with what you have, you will need to pick (and choose) how you want your surround sound, and you will need to connect it directly to the back of the Sony with a digital audio cable. The Sony only has two digital audio inputs, and you will want to review your owner's manual carefully to see how to get to those audio inputs as both the coaxial and optical inputs should be usable... Of course, it's hard to say how they work with a unit like that.

Your hold up is not with the projector at all. In fact, the projector, even if it had a digital audio output, would still only deliver 2-channel audio as that is consistent with what most displays do with digital audio.

If you want surround sound, hook your source up to the Sony. If you want it to work really well, ditch the Sony in favor of a decent home A/V receiver and, eventually, some speakers which are decent.
pop10 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-15-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for the awesome advice. The Sony is going into the bedroom and I'm going to pick up another system today. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $500 - max 600. I saw the samsung ht-f5500 for about $400. It does have input. I'm open though. I'm even willing to do as AV-Integrated suggested and start from scratch with a proper receiver. Again, thanks everyone for the advice.

post #10 of 12 Old 10-15-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I would strongly encourage you to stop looking at the fully integrated kits. You don't have to go from scratch, but if you have $500, then there are far better options. Seriously, a 'kit' is one manufacturers attempt to get you good stuff. But, you can get stuff for similar price that is simply far better.

The Onkyo linked above - ($250)
The very well reviewed 5.1 speaker system: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2 ($250)
A 100 feet of speaker wire to hook it all up: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2820&seq=1&format=2 ($22)
A dedicated Blu-ray player: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMPBD79-DMP-BD79-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00B9JR5EU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1381866178&sr=8-7&keywords=blu-ray+player ($75)

So, right about $600 and you have a system which really offers you very good sound and flexibility in your setup. If the player fails, you buy a new one and hook it up, you don't throw the system away.

If you really want to keep it tight on budget, check Accessories4Less for their Home Audio -> Packaged Systems

This model: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS5500/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7.1-Home-Theater-Package-w/USB-for-iPod/iPhone/1.html
$240 + the Blu-ray player listed above, gives you 7.1 audio for right about $300 and you have 4 total HDMI inputs for the Blu-ray, Cable TV, PC, and a Xbox or PS3. All for under $350!

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/HTIB/Home-Audio/Packaged-Systems/1.html

The receiver isn't going to be the spendy part. The part the costs you the money is in good speakers. Proprietary home theater in a box speakers are horrendous. The ones with the theater packages listed above are cheap, but better. But, with a home theater package with true separate speakers, you can upgrade the speakers as you want to. Throw in some nice Polk speakers, or some Definitive Technology, Axiom, or B&W. Whatever you want to do, you can do at some point, but it has to start with a 'standard' A/V receiver. Not a proprietary, integrated unit.

I started with a basic home theater in a box kit like the Onkyo HT-S5500 kit a number of years ago. It wasn't even that nice (and cost more!). When I upgraded to a new system, I upgraded the speakers first, and the new speakers made my cheap system sound even better. It was truly amazing how good speakers can really make your system shine.

Keep checking and asking questions!
pop10 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-16-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

AV_Integrated - I truly appreciate the help and advice. I WILL be buying one of those suggestions, just haven't decided which one. I'll update when I make my decision. Thanks again, you've saved me a lot of work. 

post #12 of 12 Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop10 View Post

AV_Integrated - I truly appreciate the help and advice. I WILL be buying one of those suggestions, just haven't decided which one. I'll update when I make my decision. Thanks again, you've saved me a lot of work. 
No problem. You may want to ask in the audio section here, or swing by the forums at Audioholics. Lowball your budget a bit as people like to go over by $100 or more quite often, but you can get some really good responses from people who track stuff more closely than I do. Accessories4Less really is a go to for me just to see what is out there for bargain basement pricing, but I don't track all the specials regularly.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer H6510bd Dlp 3d Projector , Acer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page