An Everyday guys Review Benq W1070 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-14-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my home theater setup finished about a week ago. I will list the components below.

120 Elite Screen
Benq W1070 1.06
Denon Avr 1613
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony bdp s5100
Direct hd dvr

I will start off saying that I am not a tech nerd but have a little bit of knowledge just based off of a lot of hours or research. This is my first projector setup and first dedicated home theater. My normal watching and basis are off of my Panasonic 60" gt30 which is an awesome tv so my standards where set pretty high. With that saying I guess I wasn't really getting my hopes up with the projector just because of cost and lack of experience.

I also made a trip to gramophone a local home theater dealer/installer that was obviously out of my price range. In there rooms they had $25k plus projectors and $3k screens. So I felt like my stuff would pale in comparison. Well let me start off by saying this was not the case. I dont see 27k worth of difference here not at all.

Initial thoughts are WOW! for what I have wrapped up in the theater I couldn't be more happy. I guess Ill start with my only complaint. When watching hd through direct the picture could be better. Not all that sharp. I guess this wouldn't be so noticeable if the picture didn't look so spectacular when watching blu rays. I guess maybe I am a little spoiled by my plasma but it seems like the picture has a hard time keeping super sharp focus. Some times the picture is unbelievable but then will lose its sharpness as movement happens or scenes change. Anybody else experience a significant drop in picture quality from blu ray to direct?

Black levels. This is where I was a little concerned coming from my plasma but I must say they are pretty good to my un trained eye no complaints here.

3d. Epic! This is awesome going from 60" to 120" wow. Don't think I will ever watch 3d downstairs again.

Rainbow effect. Not with me haven't noticed any thing of the sort.

Blu ray- Sharpness is excellent and color is off the charts couldn't be happier right up there with my plasma.

One thing that is funny I put in the a couple of different calibrated settings I found on here and online for the projector and found that I was happier with the standard setting and found the other settings to be to dark and lose sharpness. Not sure whats up with that. I guess just goes to show maybe I dont have the eye for a great picture lol.

Let me know if you guys have any questions would be happy to try and answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I always say the same thing... If you have a projector that produces a great image with one source, and not with another source, then focus on the source, not the projector.

DirecTV should look good on the HD channels, but it has a number of settings in the box itself that may limit the quality of the output. So, be 100% sure that the DirecTV box is putting out 1080i/1080p content and that you are really getting the highest level HD signal out of the box such as possible. Also, keep in mind that Blu-ray is running for 1080p content with an average encode rate that may be around 30Mbs using the latest encoders, while DirecTV is often using MPEG2 at under 18Mbs. That's already a 50% cut in encoding capability, and they are often working from live encodes which can be more difficult to deal with.

The general consensus is in agreement with what you have found. The W1070 is a solid unit for the money if it works in your space. The placement flexibility is terrible, but the brightness is great, and the image is very good. I'm using mine in an unfinished basement on a 161" screen. Really big, and still no complaints at all about brightness in low lamp mode!

Enjoy your setup.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-15-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

After reading your post I realized that the box I am using is from my old bedroom which was running at 720. I was hoping this was still the case but it was putting out in 1080. Like I said I dont think I would be bothered by the projector when running direct tv if blu rays didn't look so good. Don't get me wrong it doesn't look bad. Just not use to such a change in quality.

Why do you think I prefer the out of the box setting vs the calibrated settings. My wife agrees with me as well if that means anything. Anybody else prefer the out of the box settings
post #4 of 21 Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

BenQ has done a good job with out of the box settings, and there is no such thing as 'calibrated' settings, unless you did the calibration yourself.

Every projector is slightly different and has slightly different levels to them and different color. It's not huge, but it's enough that it means that nobody else can give you their calibration numbers and have it work perfectly for you.

As well, there is just flat out 'personal preference' which is 100% fine and acceptable, and more than that - should be taken as the first priority.

If you want to calibrate your projector, then you need to buy a test disc and run it through the full setup and calibration yourself. It will be specific to your display and your room, and when you are done, you can still tweak it some to get more of what you like, but I would never use someone else's numbers for my display.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey balance fighter, thanks for the review. I have recently started planning my basement finishing and have been lead to the idea that a projector may be the way to go, specifically the w1070. What are your ambient light conditions? Does it have to be pitch black to enjoy the screen for casual tv viewing? I have 1 window on the other side of where I would like to place the projector screen so black out will be easy, with some selective recessed light at the seating area slow for the lights to be on and read while still enjoying half decent contrast? I am thinking 120" screen and 11' throw.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
BalanceFighter, welcome to the club. What you're seeing on your satellite box is less about the output resolution of the box, and more about the encoding. Since you notice it at scene changes and movement, it's definitely the bitrate throttling on DirectTV's part. Movement and scene changes require higher bandwidth to maintain picture quality, and cable and satellite services limit this as to not interfere with other channels.

As AV_Integrated pointed out, DirectTV already uses a lower bitrate than BluRay .. I doubt it's even 18Mb/s ... but the fact that they use older MPEG2 compression compared to the MPEG4/AVC or VC1 compression Blu uses, the picture quality comparison would about 4 to 1 or worse comparing Blu and Satellite.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-15-2013, 06:50 PM

I'm also in search of my first projector.
I own a 60"ST50 Panasonic Plasma, wich has an excellent picture quality, at least for me. Also, I use it 50%movies and 50% gaming.

Would you recommend me the benq 1070 then?

Thank you for the review!
post #8 of 21 Old 10-15-2013, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalanceFighter View Post

Why do you think I prefer the out of the box setting vs the calibrated settings. My wife agrees with me as well if that means anything. Anybody else prefer the out of the box settings

I think those calibrations you found on the web is mainly for the color. I can't say they are more accurate than the default, but to my eye they appear more natural and pleasing to view, more close to film quality.

Color ajustment is more difficult and you need to invest other equipment, so I used them just for a better color.

And none of the calibrations works well in the black-white. I always need to adjust brightness, contrast and gamma based on the free AVS HD to get an optimal result. Basically I would reduce the brightness and bump up the contrast to get a more popping image without sacrificing shadow details and highlights. This is especially important in 3D mode.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-15-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

After reading your post I realized that the box I am using is from my old bedroom which was running at 720. I was hoping this was still the case but it was putting out in 1080. Like I said I dont think I would be bothered by the projector when running direct tv if blu rays didn't look so good. Don't get me wrong it doesn't look bad. Just not use to such a change in quality.

If you want the best picture from TV Shows... You need a HD antenna. OTA HD broadcast is right up there with Bluray. There is no compression like on Sat or cable. Downside... You will only have local channels and are subject to weather conditions more than sat or cable. Upside... If you can live with just local broadcasts you will have a outstanding picture (if you are in a area that you can receive HD channels).

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I don't agree, some OTA looks bad just like some Cable looks bad...

From the Internet, this response below I agree with:

The ATSC standard for HDTV transmission is MPEG-2 compression and 19mbit data rate. OTA and cable both use MPEG-2, as does most satellite transmission. Some recent satellite local stations are compressed with MPEG-4. All HDTV is compressed. However, the MPEG specs allow for different amounts of compression and different qualities. When OTA utilizes the full bandwidth for a single HDTV channel at 19mbs, you will get the best quality obtainable from HDTV. However, many OTA stations will broadcast several programs on sub-channels simultaneously with their HD channel. That steals bandwidth and bitrate from their HD channel, and if that is done too much, the HD picture quality will suffer (the subchannels are usually not HD). So you cannot lump all OTA into one category for picture quality.

The same is true for cable channels; they have the option of retransmitting the exact signal broadcast, in which case the cable will have the same quality as the broadcast. However, some cable systems will decompress and recompress the signal so they can use a lower bitrate and less bandwidth. If they do that, the cable's picture will be poorer than OTA. It is also possible for the cable to receive a higher-quality signal from the station (less strongly compressed) that the networks use to distribute their HD content. If the cable system then compresses that signal to a high bitrate, but the broadcaster limits its bandwidth, the cable signal would be better. i do not know if this latter approach is being used by any cable companies at this time, but it is a possibility.

Finally, satellite compression is often more severe than OTA or cable, and my experience with satellite HD is that for the major networks, it is not as good as OTA or cable. However, special HD channels on satellite (HDnet, Discovery HD) are excellent.

In summary, the answer to our question is: it depends.

Finally, all MPEG compression schemes are "lossy". It would be impossible to get the HD picture in the allotted bandwidth with lossless compression. But the degree of "loss" is flexible and up to the party doing the enccoding.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #11 of 21 Old 10-16-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSet View Post

Hey balance fighter, thanks for the review. I have recently started planning my basement finishing and have been lead to the idea that a projector may be the way to go, specifically the w1070. What are your ambient light conditions? Does it have to be pitch black to enjoy the screen for casual tv viewing? I have 1 window on the other side of where I would like to place the projector screen so black out will be easy, with some selective recessed light at the seating area slow for the lights to be on and read while still enjoying half decent contrast? I am thinking 120" screen and 11' throw.

This is is a dedicated home theater so absolutely no light. But even with some low lights on like my sconces and by cranking up the lamp mode it still looks pretty good. So as long as you can somewhat control light I think this will be a good projector for you.

Thanks for all the direct tv input it all make a lot of sense now.

Maybe I will trying going into the calibrated setting and mess with the brightness settings a little bit.

Watched pacific rim last night in 3d. WOW! This was by far the most wow factor I have ever had watching movies even blows away imax. Quality was out of this world and the 3d was great. I just dont understand why you would have to spend 10+gs on a projector when you can get this for under a grand
post #12 of 21 Old 10-16-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

If you want the best picture from TV Shows... You need a HD antenna. OTA HD broadcast is right up there with Bluray. There is no compression like on Sat or cable. Downside... You will only have local channels and are subject to weather conditions more than sat or cable. Upside... If you can live with just local broadcasts you will have a outstanding picture (if you are in a area that you can receive HD channels).
FYI - This is not correct.

OTA broadcast TV is typically MPEG2 compression of the original HD source at (I believe) about 19Mbs. While cable companies and DirecTV apply additional compression which is generally in the 16Mbs to 13Mbs (or less) range, it is derived from a compressed source which uses older codecs than Blu-ray uses, at a bit rate which is typically 1/3 less than what BD is typically using with the latest codecs.

FIOS, by comparison, generally broadcasts at the original bitrate of the source, so if it gets a 19Mbs source, it retransmits at 19Mbs without additional compression to the source, from what I've read. As well, a 1080i source, sending 60 fields a second equates to about 62.2 million pixels a second compared to a movie which is often 24 frames per second at 1080p, which is about 49.7 million pixels a second. So, OTA has about 20% more data it has to handle in less space, using an older codec.

A bit of info here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27661778-HD-Is-OTA-higher-quality-than-Comcast-cable-re-QAM-channels

Anyway, that's more in tune perhaps for a different forum of discussion. biggrin.gif

post #13 of 21 Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSet View Post

My two cents: I have the W1070 setup in an unfinished basement at this time on a 161" Draper 1.3 gain screen. As an unfinished basement I have those cheap pull string to turn it on exposed light bulbs down there. I turn off the ones that are within 30' or so of the screen, but leave the ones on at the back of my basement if I'm doing something while the projector is on. The image still remains good while I'm doing this. Great for sports viewing, not so great for movie viewing as the lights are not at all controlled. Oh, and I have silver lined insulation on the wall right next to the screen and an unfinished joist ceiling. Pretty bad environment (for now).

With ceiling cans dimmed down, I'm sure you would get much better results. Especially if you have darker paint/carpet in the room.

The W1070 certainly doesn't have the contrast level of a JVC projector, but it is very solid for the money, and has no problem with the larger screen sizes.

post #14 of 21 Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I just dont understand why you would have to spend 10+gs on a projector when you can get this for under a grand
Why spend money on an Austin Martin when you can get a Hyundai for a lot less?
They both get you from point A to B but there are features that the Austin Martin has that the Hyundai can not even remotely touch.

These cheap projectors are great but if you start doing critical examinations of the PQ, you will see why they are not comparable to the PQ of a $10K+ or even a $3K+ projector.

post #15 of 21 Old 10-16-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Why spend money on an Austin Martin when you can get a Hyundai for a lot less?
They both get you from point A to B but there are features that the Austin Martin has that the Hyundai can not even remotely touch.

These cheap projectors are great but if you start doing critical examinations of the PQ, you will see why they are not comparable to the PQ of a $10K+ or even a $3K+ projector.
Yeah, the $1K to $3K jump has a fair bit of change in quality, especially if you are talking about a LCoS projector. It's the $3K to $15K jump where things really start to get murky and demand a better room.

Dedicated theaters, IMO, demand a $3K+ projector if they are well built spaces. Anything less isn't bad, it just misses some of the quality, especially in black levels.

I've yet to see a $10,000+ projector worth the money unless it is uber bright.

post #16 of 21 Old 10-16-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Yeah, the $1K to $3K jump has a fair bit of change in quality, especially if you are talking about a LCoS projector. It's the $3K to $15K jump where things really start to get murky and demand a better room.

Dedicated theaters, IMO, demand a $3K+ projector if they are well built spaces. Anything less isn't bad, it just misses some of the quality, especially in black levels.

I've yet to see a $10,000+ projector worth the money unless it is uber bright.

Even 3k requires much more of a "commitment" than the current crop of 1k projectors. It goes back to the pc argument where you get the $500 graphics card once vs getting 2 or 3 cheaper cards over the same lifespan and constantly upgrading.

Personally I don't see myself ever moving back up to the higher tiers (started out getting the 2-3k projectors) and imo getting a new projector every year or two is better.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-16-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sure there is a change in quality i'm just wondering if it justifies the price jump. From 1k-3k I can understand it. I had the opportunity to view a 25k projector and I just dont see how you could justify spending that. But again maybe I just dont have the eye for it. For 1k I couldn't be happier and its better then anything that I have ever seen in the many movie theaters I have been in.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-16-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed, but the jump is still there. I see $10,000 to $30,000 projectors pretty regularly, and they just don't look that much better than the $3,000 models, but the $3,000 models do look a good deal better than the $1,000 models. It's that huge jump in quality which I see, mostly in the black levels, which is worth it to me if I were in a dedicated theater.

Of course, I'm not in a dedicated space, but the jump from almost any projector to the JVC RS46 is significant. In a white room with white walls, light carpet, and white ceiling... forget it. But, when someone spends $25,000 building a home theater in their $300,000+ home (more or less) then it's a different story.

Installing a RS46 for a client in a month or so... Installing a W1080ST for someone else in a couple of weeks. I accept, gladly, all of the decent projectors. biggrin.gif

post #19 of 21 Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I added up what I have in my theater and it came out to right around $3500 and that is down to the posters on the walls. The impressive thing to me is that number comes in under what I would have paid for my seats new. I lucked out and found a lady who separated from her husband and had bought him seats for his birthday. So I got a $4200 set of palliser seats that were almost new for $1000. So given that I am pretty happy. Bought a few things refurbish and did all the work myself. So everything is there if I decided to change the projector down the road. Next thing for me would prob be some theater style carpet but my wife is already about to cut my head off so who knows when that will happen. I will try and get some pics up soon.
post #20 of 21 Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Agreed, but the jump is still there. I see $10,000 to $30,000 projectors pretty regularly, and they just don't look that much better than the $3,000 models, but the $3,000 models do look a good deal better than the $1,000 models.
I believe when you start getting around or above the $10K+ price point, you probably get a better lens, which yields better color uniformity across the entire screen, better focus across the entire screen and little or no chromatic aberration. Most people don't notice these drawbacks on the $10K less projectors and find them tolerable.
I'm sure the electronics are also more robust as well as a low noise fan and usually a larger panel(3LCD/LCOS/DLP).

post #21 of 21 Old 10-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I agree that a $1k projector to a $3k projector is a pretty big jump, and I'd also say from $3k to ~$5-6k is also usually a smaller but noticeable jump. After that you're talking pretty small differences in visual quality in the $10k, $30k+ range, and usually you're talking about "spec sheet" or "feature list" changes IMO rather than easily visible changes on the screen.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi
Gear in this thread - S5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page