Will the Panasonic PT-AR100U work in a dark room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-14-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I now have a AE4000 which i have never thought had a bright and crisp image. It may be because of the 22 foot throw distance.I have a 120" screen and the projector sits on a shelf on the back wall 22 feet away.I also keep the picture setting on dynamic which is the brightest. Would the AR100u work for me or would it be to bright?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid53 View Post

I now have a AE4000 which i have never thought had a bright and crisp image. It may be because of the 22 foot throw distance.I have a 120" screen and the projector sits on a shelf on the back wall 22 feet away.I also keep the picture setting on dynamic which is the brightest. Would the AR100u work for me or would it be to bright?
It will work - even if it is too bright.

You can always dim projectors. The initial calibration, eco mode, etc. can dim a projector by a great deal while improving overall image quality by quite a bit.

If, after calibration, tweaking, and everything else, you find any projector to be overly bright, then you can purchase a grey filter (neutral density (ND) filter) from a photo supply store (Adorama/B&H Photo) which will cut light output more. Kind of like sunglasses for the projector.

But, with that size screen, from that distance, and a desire for more lumens, it would surprise me a great deal if you decided to add a ND filter to the projector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

At this point wouldn't the PT-AR100U have a better quality picture than the AE-4000 because of the age difference?
post #4 of 8 Old 10-16-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

At this point wouldn't the PT-AR100U have a better quality picture than the AE-4000 because of the age difference?

I would not count on that.. a brighter image will always look better, seem sharper etc. However, new does not always equate to better.. The trend has been to put out less expensive lower build quality .. cheaper lenses with focus uniformity issues, larger tolerances on minimum convergence inaccuracy.. Maybe the tweak the irs to work better or add another one to fake out the viewers eyes to think they have better black level etc..
If your current projector has good convergence, no color uniformity then other than light probably not. The new unit won't have power zoom with memory either.. if you are using that feature..
How is your room setup.. where is the projector mounted? Have you ever looked into a Dalite HP screen? This screen can make a huge improvement but it has some serious limitations and if not set up correctly won't help at all.. just another options if you are not dead set on replacing the projector..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
As has been pointed out by others there are several differences between the Panasonic PT-AE4000U and the AR100U. The 4000 is a more sophisticated projector with powered lens zoom and focus, Intelligent Lens Memory and Frame Creation 2. The 4000 also has better contrast at 100,000:1 versus 50,000:1 for the AR100U.

The main question is - are you willing to give up all these features for a brighter picture? Are any of these features important in your setup?

I own the AR100U and it is a brighter projector with great color and pop and a reasonable price at $1300. I've never seen the PT-AE4000U projector in action but upgraded from the Panasonic PT-AE900U that was not bright enough for my needs. I've been very happy with the AR100U and have over 2100 hours on the original lamp. I use it 3-4 hours a day so it's not a pampered projector that only sees action on weekends. My screen gain is 1.1.

These are all things to consider and not an easy decision.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 8 Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I never used the auto lens zoom or made any adjustments after setting it up.The only time i use the menu is to check the total hours on my bulb. I guess that tells you how picky i am about the picture. I like crisp sharp picture,which i feel my AE4000 could not produce being to far away from the screen at 22 feet on a shelf on the back wall.If i were to mount it 15 feet back i would need it to hang down below a 8 inch dry walled beam. You would hit your head on it for sure.With all the brightness of the ar100u i should not have a problem with it sitting on the back wall. Since i don't use any of the extra features of the AE4000 that's why i feel i might be upgrading in picture quality.I definitely need the lens shift because of the beam.The ceiling is painted black and there are no windows in the room.I'm hoping the picture wont look to washed out.

Thanks for any feedback
post #7 of 8 Old 10-17-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

I never used the auto lens zoom or made any adjustments after setting it up.The only time i use the menu is to check the total hours on my bulb. I guess that tells you how picky i am about the picture. I like crisp sharp picture,which i feel my AE4000 could not produce being to far away from the screen at 22 feet on a shelf on the back wall.If i were to mount it 15 feet back i would need it to hang down below a 8 inch dry walled beam. You would hit your head on it for sure.With all the brightness of the ar100u i should not have a problem with it sitting on the back wall. Since i don't use any of the extra features of the AE4000 that's why i feel i might be upgrading in picture quality.I definitely need the lens shift because of the beam.The ceiling is painted black and there are no windows in the room.I'm hoping the picture wont look to washed out.

Thanks for any feedback

You'll gain about 8 fL over the AE4000U from that far back but you won't be running the AR100U in full power mode but in eco mode - fans in full power are too loud in my estimation. You'll be going from 22 dB (4000U) to 29 dB (AR100U) in eco-mode.

Brightness-wise the AR100U is an improvement over the 4000U and if you're looking to stay in the Panasonic projector family with plenty of lens shift this will be what you're looking for.

There are two dedicated threads to the AR100U and I post regularly in both:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428735/the-official-panasonic-pt-ar100u-owners-thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358778/panasonic-pt-ar100-msrp-1-999-4000u-replacement-kind-of

For screen shots look here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428735/the-official-panasonic-pt-ar100u-owners-thread#post_22457634

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8 of 8 Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info! I may just purchase the AR100U from projector people and return it if its not what im looking for. I know i am limited because of needing the lens shift and keeping the price around $1500
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Pt Ar100u Lcd Projector Pt Ar100u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page