How to know if a projector can be rear shelf mounted? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Friends

My current Epson 1080 LCD projector is mounted on a rear plaform at the rear of my room pointing centre. The throw distance is about 9.6ft.

I am considering several projectors now and would like to understand what should look out for in the manuals to know whether I can have the projector sit upright in the same platform.

I am considering w1070, HD33, HD25, 3010 and 3020 but unable to decide until I know how to determine if these projectors can be placed in the rear shelf upright..

Many Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
You need a projector with lens shift. None of the DLP projectors in this price range have sufficient lens shift to be placed in the center of the screen.
You would look a the placement instructions in the manual that tell you where the projector needs to be placed at a given distance for a given screen size. Most projectors that have lens shift are made so when placed at center screen they use NO lens shift. As you move them up or down away from center you must move the lens shift to recenter the image. Max shift is normally given in a % of screen so if center is zero %50 would be 1/2 of your screen height.. up or down
Hope that helps.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Enter in a few models here. Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like your asking about your throw distance, not the left to right lens shift.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtommyD View Post

Enter in a few models here. Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like your asking about your throw distance, not the left to right lens shift.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Lens shift goes both ways.. he needs a projector with zero offset and vertical lens shift..
post #5 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Your throw distance is about 9'6" or it IS 9'6"?
Your screen size is how large?
Your distance from ceiling to center of lens is how much?
Your distance from ceiling to top of screen is how much?
What is your current projector that is in use?

You likely have Epson with full lens shift, which by the way is about the most of any projector in the industry. That matters a great deal, because not one projector you listed has any useful lens shift whatsoever. Not ONE. So, those are all off the table.

You need to start with projectors that have good lens shift, which includes the Epson 5030, the Panasonic AE8000, perhaps the BenQ W7000. But, you also need to figure out if the projector will hit your screen size from your throw distance.

There's quite a bit to consider, and we don't have enough information to know how to help you out here beyond a few random statements.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah we need more info and some numbers. A photo of your setup would be helpful too.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 1080 Hd Budget Priced Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page