Projector newbie! Where to start? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all! Looking to upgrade to a bigger screen and have always wanted a projector for that big screen. I currently have the pioneer kuro pro 11fd and love the picture but want bigger. I would like to keep the tv and mount on the wall and have a drop down screen. The basement setup is a little strange but here is my space and layout description.

Ceiling is about 7-7.5', the viewing distance is about 9ft, I would like a screen somewhere in the 100"+ area. Right above the seating is the air duct which is maybe about 10 " in height. I'm guessing the projector would have to be behind the duct for distance because in front would put it at like 7ft. Not sure what other specs you need.

Have not really set a budget yet. It would be used for movies/tv mainly with some gaming. Not interested in 3d. Want a very good picture with good black levels, basically I love the tv picture I have now on the pioneer but want bigger.

Thanks for reading and would love any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Lots of reading followed by testing some units at stores is what I would recommend. Beyond that you room dimensions and approximate budget for the projector and screen may hep with some suggestions.
post #3 of 36 Old 10-19-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJS02 View Post

Hello all! Looking to upgrade to a bigger screen and have always wanted a projector for that big screen. I currently have the pioneer kuro pro 11fd and love the picture but want bigger. I would like to keep the tv and mount on the wall and have a drop down screen. The basement setup is a little strange but here is my space and layout description.

Ceiling is about 7-7.5', the viewing distance is about 9ft, I would like a screen somewhere in the 100"+ area. Right above the seating is the air duct which is maybe about 10 " in height. I'm guessing the projector would have to be behind the duct for distance because in front would put it at like 7ft. Not sure what other specs you need.

Have not really set a budget yet. It would be used for movies/tv mainly with some gaming. Not interested in 3d. Want a very good picture with good black levels, basically I love the tv picture I have now on the pioneer but want bigger.

Thanks for reading and would love any input.

Only a 7' throw distance on a 100" screen with a 7 foot ceiling limits your choices a lot unless you can truly place the projector behind the air duct. The Benq w1080st might work, not much else I can think of. For the best blacks, a $2000 B-Stock or used JVC would be better matched, but it might not fit.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #4 of 36 Old 10-19-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

I do have plenty of room behind the air duct would just have the projector sit lower. Not sure if that's a big problem people would just have to make sure they don't bump into it. There's another 8ft behind the duct give or take a foot.
post #5 of 36 Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Alright got some actuall specs of room and obstacles:

Floor to drop ceiling is 7'
It is 9' from screen/tv to viewing
Above the seat is a air duct that's 9" in height by 5' wide/deep
Then there is another 5' of ceiling for keeping the projector centered with the viewing area.

I attached some pictures of the current area now to see what I'm working with.

post #6 of 36 Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Does it even seem feasible or do you need more info from me. Budget I would put in the $3000 range for screen and projector but if I can get away with something a lot cheaper then awesome!
post #7 of 36 Old 10-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does it even seem feasible or do you need more info from me. Budget I would put in the $3000 range for screen and projector but if I can get away with something a lot cheaper then awesome!

It seems doable, the exact measurements of the room and where anything is that could block light would be very useful.
post #8 of 36 Old 10-20-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good will get room dimensions. What program or ios app do people use to make there room layout/rendering?

As for lighting there will be dimable LED recessed cans in ceiling and there are two small basement windows that I plan on getting some type of blackout shade.
post #9 of 36 Old 10-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds good will get room dimensions. What program or ios app do people use to make there room layout/rendering?

As for lighting there will be dimable LED recessed cans in ceiling and there are two small basement windows that I plan on getting some type of blackout shade.

I actually do all mine using a pencil and large a3 paper. If I then wanted to show it online I would take a picture of it. Not sure what programs are available as I am not that way inclined. Also would you be willing to paint your roof and the walls a darker color (preferably black for the roof and a dark matte color for the walls?). I only ask as this well help the projected image look notably better, if you can't I wouldn't worry to much as it will still look great (it just means it is less worth getting a projector with amazing black levels).
post #10 of 36 Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

It would prob be a no go with the paint. First got to talk the wife into the idea of projector ha.
post #11 of 36 Old 10-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It would prob be a no go with the paint. First got to talk the wife into the idea of projector ha.

I would try selling it separately. It's not that it will make the projected image look so much better but it would make the room looks that much better. biggrin.gif

In any case the results can be fantastic, it just limits what the projector compared to what it is capable off.
post #12 of 36 Old 10-22-2013, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Alright here is my go at Sketchup. Let me know if there is anything im missing from the floor layout. The red circles are pillars and the light blue are can lights in the drop down ceiling. I place a rectangle where im thinking i would like the screen to go. Again the ceilings are 7' in height, the duct work is 9" in height. Feel free to ask and recomendations. And the seating will be under the duct which is about 9' viewing distance. And if missed the pictures the basement is finished already.
post #13 of 36 Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Just a friendly bump to see if there is any input from anyone.
post #14 of 36 Old 10-23-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
We've seen floorplans like this before. You basically have two approaches: mount a BenQ W1080ST on the ceiling in front of the duct, or mount an Optoma HD25e behind the duct. The manufacturers' websites have distance calculators that will verify the available screen sizes for those positions.

The cheaper Optoma 131 is black, which would present a décor challenge -- though, if the wife hasn't bought in yet, it may be the least of your challenges.

Don't bother with a higher-priced projector in that light-colored environment.
post #15 of 36 Old 10-23-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so let me try to understand this best as i can: My goal is to go for a 120" screen, If im using the calculator right and reading it I need the 108st to be in the 6'-7' range to project that image. So i would more then likely need to get a fixed screen and mount that on the wall and scrap my idea of having a motorized one dropping in front of the tv. Because if my math is right and i would need a little clearance in front of the tv that would really on leave me with about 5' between the screen and the lens of the projector when mounted on ceiling. Does that sound correct?

The 1080st sounds like the best bet as far as having more flexibility in being able to play Kinect games and not having to worry about someone walking in front of the projection. And also being able to have the screen higher on the wall.

Forgive me for many questions but new to projector idea. If i went with a option at a longer throw and put behind air duct, being a 7' ceiling and air duct 9" i would have to have the projector say in the 5.5'-6' height off the ground, the screen would have to be almost to the ground to compensate for short ceiling is that correct?

If my last part is wrong then that opens my options better if not I may just go for the 1080st and fixed screen, would of liked to keep the plasma down stairs also but not sure if thats even feasible.

what are best places to buy from? These are the prices ive seen so far:

Benq1080st from amazon for $940ish
HD25 refurb for $650ish from buydig
HD25e $950ish amazon
And as far as the HD131 from optoma if i was able to do long throw without too many obstacles and color of projector not being a problem to clash with room. There is talks of people being able to get it on amazon after a credit and cash back for $500-$600 because of a verbiage error on description.

Thanks for all the help, once this part is decided on will sure have questions on screens ha!
post #16 of 36 Old 10-23-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Any more input will be appreciated. Thanks
post #17 of 36 Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Lets not have everyone speak at once.....ha jk. Just anxious to start next step have always wanted projector. Thanks
post #18 of 36 Old 10-24-2013, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You could possibly get additional throw distance with a mirror mounted on the duct. By mounting the 1080st as high as possible (like against the ceiling), and say 1’ away and facing the duct and using a mirror to reflect the image, you could get and additional 2’ of throw distance and be able to bring the screen 10 – 12” from the wall. (to accommodate the TV). You would have to bring the screen down probably about 1’, but would have less chance of interference than shooting under the duct work.
post #19 of 36 Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There are also some Ultra Short throw PJs out there (i.e. Optoma W307UST), but from what I’ve seen they’re mostly WXGA business class PJs.
post #20 of 36 Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
As we saw in a similar setup, yes -- if you mounted the Optoma behind the duct, you would end up with a screen very close to the floor. Part of that is due to the Optoma's fixed vertical lens shift of around nine inches, meaning that the top of the image would be at least twelve inches below the elevation of the bottom of the duct.

Your third option, then, is the Epson 2030, which has zero (downward) vertical offset. That would move the screen up nine inches or so versus the Optoma.
post #21 of 36 Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm thinking I may just sacrifice the screen size a little and go for a 100" screen withe the 1080st. That should give me enough room to mount the plasma, and have a drop down screen. I mean I am only sitting about 8.5-9' away. Does that sound like a good compromise?

Next as far as screen goes. I don't want to spend more then the projector. But are the visual apex motorized tension bundles a good deal? Or better off choosing different brand and piecing together? Like from amazon, or is all the extras in the vapex bundle make deal to sweet?

Thanks!
post #22 of 36 Old 10-25-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Also how would I hook up the tv and projector to my pioneer sc05 at the same time since it only has one hdmi output? And is there a way it would be all controlled from my Harmony one and I could just setup 2 activities for each? One that points to tv and other to projector?

Thanks
post #23 of 36 Old 10-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
As long as your not interested in 3D a simple HDMI splitter (under $20) will work fine. Unless every component is 3D ready, receiver and both displays, 3D won't work. Harmony remote can control everything with no problem

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #24 of 36 Old 10-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

As long as your not interested in 3D a simple HDMI splitter (under $20) will work fine. Unless every component is 3D ready, receiver and both displays, 3D won't work. Harmony remote can control everything with no problem

If he is going with a dlp it would be a sin to remove its 3d ability unless he is unable to see 3d.
post #25 of 36 Old 10-25-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good. Not really that interested in 3d right now anyways. Don't believe the receiver can transmit it anyways. Is there a splitter anyone recommends that works better then others? And will itbe a device that's added to the remote its self or does the switch auto detect the power to either on?

Any comments on my other post above about VApex and screen bundles?
post #26 of 36 Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Also does anyone have any mounting instructions for the screen to drop out of ceiling? The above floor joists run perpendicular to the screen position.
post #27 of 36 Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Sounds good. Not really that interested in 3d right now anyways. Don't believe the receiver can transmit it anyways. Is there a splitter anyone recommends that works better then others? And will itbe a device that's added to the remote its self or does the switch auto detect the power to either on?

Any comments on my other post above about VApex and screen bundles?

The splitters all seam to work the same but the cheaper ones have really cheap and poor fitting connectors. They just split the HDMI signal to each display and both will receive the signal all the time no switching by remote necessary.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #28 of 36 Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hovey View Post

You could possibly get additional throw distance with a mirror mounted on the duct. By mounting the 1080st as high as possible (like against the ceiling), and say 1’ away and facing the duct and using a mirror to reflect the image, you could get and additional 2’ of throw distance and be able to bring the screen 10 – 12” from the wall. (to accommodate the TV). You would have to bring the screen down probably about 1’, but would have less chance of interference than shooting under the duct work.

Probably a bad idea.
Unless the mirror used is optically perfect then you will introduce all the flaws of the mirror glass into the projected image, I.E. abberations, distortion, colour cast e.t.c., and this effect will be doubled. Once when the light passes through the glass into the mirror and again when reflected back through the glass, basically turning your precision optical device into an el cheapo PJ.
post #29 of 36 Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah im not going the mirror route by lowering the screen size to 100" instead. Ash would you have input on the screen question i asked about about type and visual apex bundle deals? Im about to buy the projector from amazon because of the new low price and $50 gift card.
post #30 of 36 Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Last time I will try and bug anyone about this.....Is the Visual Apex screen bundle for around $950 shipped I believe which includes 100" elec tensioned, universal mount, 35' hdmi, Disney wow disk, irk it, dust cover, universal remote and I think that's it a good deal? The other option is using my prime membership and getting the Elite 100" Cinetension2 for $850 shipped and purchasing mount and anything else I need seperate. Or is there a better option?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - W1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page