projector power - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Im currently running wire in my basement and future HT and looking for some advice.
I have read of guys that run power off a power conditioner or back up power supply for their projectors and I'm trying to learn the purpose? My original plan was to have a single outlet in the ceiling and now I'm undecided if I also need the power management.
Can someone please explain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Different reasons, one reason is so the lamp can cool down after the projector is shut off in the event of a power outage (though many would argue that a lamp does not lose longevity unless you turn it back on within 1 hour after a power outage). Hence, let it cool before firing it back up and it should be fine. That said, voltage anomalies besides just surges can occur (though not as common today as it used to be), and a voltage regulated UPS will protect not only against surges but also against voltage dips. The power it produces is cleaner than going straight to your outlet. Some EE's would say it doesn't matter, but better safe than sorry, and I think it does help in some cases.

I recommend Cyberpower Pure-sine voltage regulated UPS, you can get them under $120 or much less depending on how many VA you get.

Good luck.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The smartest thing to do is get a Small UPS and put it between your outlet and the projector. If you get a power outage it gives you a chance to cycle down the projector and save the Lamp. Cyberpower and APC both make decent models in several price ranges. You can get them online or at your local office supply stores. When you buy one you should take into consideration what a replacement battery will cost as they do eventually wear out.

Bohanna
post #4 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 256
If doing new construction, and you have a good location for your equipment, then I would put the UPS in with the rest of the equipment and extend power up to the projector instead of trying to put a UPS with the projector.

You can put this behind the equipment rack: http://www.amazon.com/Midlite-MDT4642W-Single-Gang-Decor-Recessed/dp/B002XDQAA6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1K4BCJ60VQWHF&coliid=I1IAAJHQ8JN0ZN

Then just use standard romex power cable to the projector power outlet.

In the rack you can put the projector on your surge suppressor, or UPS, or whatever else you decide to at any point along the line.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I will have a separate a/v closet so the space is available for the UPS I guess I will go that route and use it for all my equipment.

Thanks guys this forum is fantastic. :)

post #6 of 6 Old 10-20-2013, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
In consumer versions, I would not touch APC's btw, their batteries are awful. They make great commercial grade UPS above $800, but forget their consumer lines.
My CyberPower UPS battery is 6 years old and still reported as near full strength, part of the reason is because I over-bought for how much power I needed, so the bigger batteries last longer when there is no significant draw on them.

I've had experience with more than 50 APC UPS's over the years, would not touch their consumer lines unless that changed.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page