Optoma eh501 - DC 3 - 1080p - 16:9 - Biz Crossover to 3D Projector - 1080p 3D @ 60hz via DVI-D? - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 55 Old 12-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can certainly try. I just need to get a DVI cable and find something to watch. It just might do it though. When I tried upconverting a blu ray movie to 3d on my player with the HDMI, I'm pretty sure the pj displayed it as being 1080p @ 60hz. I didn't pay to much attention to it, but that's what sticks in my head. So maybe it will do it through the DVI. This is a proscene model projector and because of that optoma has some 24/7 hotline that supposed to connect you to a specialty trained proscene tech that knows everything about these models. I would hope they could answer this. The number didn't come with my pj, so I'll have to call the regular number to get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 12-20-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 10

Signed up here because I'm dyeing to know if 1080p @ 120hz/144hz is possible! If you could try finding out and posting the results that would be AWESOME.

(I mean in 2D btw)

- Louis

post #33 of 55 Old 01-24-2014, 01:46 PM

Hi All,

I know I'm late to the game on this thread - but I have a question as a consumer.  We are considering getting this projector to host outdoor movie nights/evenings at my winery.  Do you think this projector would be suitable for this use?

Thank You.

post #34 of 55 Old 01-29-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just talked to a technician at Optoma about the 501. I asked alot of questions and he definitely knew what he was talking about. I am looking to possibly buy this for 3D viewing only and using my new JVC rs-4910 for 2d. He said the image in 3D is 1080p at 24hz, the glasses run at either 120hz or 144 hz. After my conversation with him, I think this will be my model.

I have a DaLite 2.4 gain screen that is 159" so even though the room is completely dark, the screen size is too big for the 1300 lumens on the JVC (though I've owned the RS-50 JVC for 3 years and the 3D was great, just lacking much brightness). Between the 5000 lumens and the 2.4 gain screen, I am hoping for a nice bright 3D Image.

Does anyone know if there is any problem with a high gain screen and DLP?
post #35 of 55 Old 02-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Has anyone found any type of review or know anyone who has the 501 or 503?
post #36 of 55 Old 02-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiscarter88 View Post

Signed up here because I'm dyeing to know if 1080p @ 120hz/144hz is possible! If you could try finding out and posting the results that would be AWESOME.

(I mean in 2D btw)

- Louis
From what I've seen, its only 60, the 120/144 is only for the 3d
post #37 of 55 Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW805 View Post

Hi All,

I know I'm late to the game on this thread - but I have a question as a consumer.  We are considering getting this projector to host outdoor movie nights/evenings at my winery.  Do you think this projector would be suitable for this use?

Thank You.
I'd say so, its bright enough for outdoor use, but you may see some rainbows. You could get another LCD pj to avoid this, but from what I've seen you'll pay more. This is made for large venues, so I'm guessing most people won't see rainbows. what size screen will you use?
post #38 of 55 Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 AM

As an AV integrator all I can say is that I've had nothing but trouble with the EH-501. First there was a firmware issue that prevented the projector from being turned on via the rs232 port. Basically it was acting like it was in eco mode (default) despite the setting being changed to 'active'. A firmware upgrade fixed that. Now the projectors shut off during use and display a fan error code despite the fact that you can see and hear the fans running. This problem has occurred in every EH-501 we've ceiling mounted.

Tech support has been so-so at best. It took hours on the phone just getting them to admit to the firmware issue and agree to send us what we needed to upgrade. They've been even less helpful with the fan error code asking us to provide them with screen shots of the service menu. All well and good if the projector is at your office. Not so good if it is in a customer's conference room an hour drive from you.

All this may be unimportant for home theater consumers but if you are considering these for commercial applications think twice.

post #39 of 55 Old 03-05-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenRast View Post

As an AV integrator all I can say is that I've had nothing but trouble with the EH-501. First there was a firmware issue that prevented the projector from being turned on via the rs232 port. Basically it was acting like it was in eco mode (default) despite the setting being changed to 'active'. A firmware upgrade fixed that. Now the projectors shut off during use and display a fan error code despite the fact that you can see and hear the fans running. This problem has occurred in every EH-501 we've ceiling mounted.

Tech support has been so-so at best. It took hours on the phone just getting them to admit to the firmware issue and agree to send us what we needed to upgrade. They've been even less helpful with the fan error code asking us to provide them with screen shots of the service menu. All well and good if the projector is at your office. Not so good if it is in a customer's conference room an hour drive from you.

All this may be unimportant for home theater consumers but if you are considering these for commercial applications think twice.

So you are saying that for home theater applications this would be an okay projector? I've had my eye on this model for some time now just to use for 3D, as I have a JVC RS-4910 for 2d but wanted the 5000 lumens for the 3D. But if there are problems like that, I am not sure what to do now. There is also the EH503 and 505, though the contrast ratio is low, but my room is near bear cave.
post #40 of 55 Old 03-06-2014, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
wanted this projector for home.... what's the alternative ?
post #41 of 55 Old 03-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombelman View Post

Same here. They do make the eh-503 and 505 which are newer models, the 505 has lens shift vertical and horizontal but lower contrast ratio. My room is close to a bear cave (no outside light and dark walls and fabrics) so I would consider the 505. I am only going to use this for 3D, but waiting to hear more from someone about any of these models. Here is a comparison chart:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/parts_compare.cfm?add=7476&add=7726&add=7858&add=7889&add=7753
post #42 of 55 Old 03-08-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 40
How
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombelman View Post

How about a legitimate home theater projector?
post #43 of 55 Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 AM

I think he may be interested in the 5000 lumens. This is why I have such an interest in the 501. My JVC rs-4910 will do just fine for 2D But when I take off the glasses during a 3D movie I realize how much light is just gone. Those of us with big screens (mine is 159") need that light. I haven't seen the Epsons, which have double the lumens of the JVC but with my screen size and my 2.4 gain screen, I think the brightness for 3D would be better than most "home theater" models with the 501. But I can't say for sure since I can't afford to order mine until May.
post #44 of 55 Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Has anyone [purchased one yet?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (3) MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs,  PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Yamaha P2500s, & (3) Topping 25wpch T chip amps.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #45 of 55 Old 03-18-2014, 04:17 AM

We've just recieved a EH501 at work for Conference Room usage.

I'm not experienced with testing projectors - what do you want to know?

We have a very light conference room and borrowed the EH501 to try the high ANSI lumen out.

Thanks,

post #46 of 55 Old 07-02-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know this is an older thread, but it is one of the first to pop up in google when the 120hz question is asked. I just purchased one of the eh501 projectors and am well versed in connection technology (HDMI 1.4abc, DVI-D, Dual Link DVI-D, etc) as well as the concepts of refresh rate, etc. I have a forum thread within the nvidia forums that completely break down the EH500, its capabilities, what the exact pixel clock can reach, etc.

For those that don't know, the pixel clock is what determines what refresh rate you can hit, pixel clock is a number determined by taking the resolution and refresh into consideration. For example, the person that claimed "since it can do 720p 120hz, there is no reason it can't do 1080p 120hz as long as you can get the signal to the projector" is completely wrong. The chips both in the projectors and the DLP chip will have pixel clock limitations. This is not a shortcoming of HDMI alone.

The other myth here is the dual link port. Just because the port is DVI-D does not mean it is Dual Link DVI-D. DVI-D Single and Dual look exactly the same, there is no way to tell them apart aside from looking at the port itself on the circuit board (which no, I am not going to rip my projector apart to confirm it is or isn't a dual link port). The reason is the next thing on my list.

It is irrelevant whether the DVI port is dual link or not if the control circuit cannot support the pixel clock needed to reach 120hz 1080p. How can we determine whether it is the control circuit or the port limiting us you ask? Good question, this is easy as HDMI and even Single Link DVI can support a much higher pixel clock than you might expect. How I determined the limitation was the projector itself for the EH500 was finding the projector could not reach near the maximum spec for HDMI, never mind dual link DVI.

The bottom line, when the projector comes in, I will tell you the maximum resolution @ 120hz or near 120hz that the projector can reach.
post #47 of 55 Old 07-07-2014, 01:40 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTaco View Post
I know this is an older thread, but it is one of the first to pop up in google when the 120hz question is asked. I just purchased one of the eh501 projectors and am well versed in connection technology (HDMI 1.4abc, DVI-D, Dual Link DVI-D, etc) as well as the concepts of refresh rate, etc. I have a forum thread within the nvidia forums that completely break down the EH500, its capabilities, what the exact pixel clock can reach, etc.

For those that don't know, the pixel clock is what determines what refresh rate you can hit, pixel clock is a number determined by taking the resolution and refresh into consideration. For example, the person that claimed "since it can do 720p 120hz, there is no reason it can't do 1080p 120hz as long as you can get the signal to the projector" is completely wrong. The chips both in the projectors and the DLP chip will have pixel clock limitations. This is not a shortcoming of HDMI alone.

The other myth here is the dual link port. Just because the port is DVI-D does not mean it is Dual Link DVI-D. DVI-D Single and Dual look exactly the same, there is no way to tell them apart aside from looking at the port itself on the circuit board (which no, I am not going to rip my projector apart to confirm it is or isn't a dual link port). The reason is the next thing on my list.

It is irrelevant whether the DVI port is dual link or not if the control circuit cannot support the pixel clock needed to reach 120hz 1080p. How can we determine whether it is the control circuit or the port limiting us you ask? Good question, this is easy as HDMI and even Single Link DVI can support a much higher pixel clock than you might expect. How I determined the limitation was the projector itself for the EH500 was finding the projector could not reach near the maximum spec for HDMI, never mind dual link DVI.

The bottom line, when the projector comes in, I will tell you the maximum resolution @ 120hz or near 120hz that the projector can reach.
awesome nice explanation captain
post #48 of 55 Old 07-08-2014, 10:49 AM

So the projector came in today, will do my testing tonight or tomorrow.

The most interestingly... amusing... part about it so far; while I did not notice this in the pictures, the DVI connector they put in the projector isn't even DVI-D as they claim, it is a Dual Link DVI-I. Now, that may not be the actual connection on the board inside (as I described above) so this doesn't really matter, just a tidbit of information I noticed off the bat... Sort of strange they list a different connector than what exists. This has absolutely no bearing on pretty much anything... just amusing.

Some simple observations other than ports and specs:

Things is huge, didn't notice this on the specs either, looks to be close to 1.5 times the size of the EH500, probably how they got the thing to be so quiet, one of the quietest projectors (at least in the specs since I have yet to turn it on) for the bulb brightness you will find.

The vertical offset and bulb replacement are in a great spot if you have the projector mounted on the ceiling, or sitting on the desk, directly on the top of the projector near the front.

Will post results after doing some testing.
post #49 of 55 Old 07-08-2014, 07:57 PM

I was able to sit down and do some quick testing. unfortunately, the EH501 is exactly as the EH500, as I suspected. The max pixel clock is 173.89Mhz, just as the EH500 was. It does not matter what port you are plugged into, it seems to be a limitation beyond just the ports themselves, also as expected. Bottom line, this equates to a maximum resolution of 1600x900 @ 112hz if using severely reduced blanking. The exact timings used were as follows.

------------------------------Horizontal-------------Vertical
Active Pixels:---------------1600------------------- 900
Front Porch------------------32------------------------3
Sync (pixels)----------------40------------------------5
Total Pixels-----------------1696---------------------913
Sync Polarity___________+_________________-____
Blanking---------------------24------------------------5

Refresh Rate 112Hz
Horizontal 102.258 kHz
Pixel Clock 173.43 MHz

You can however easily hit 120hz in 1366z768 (a slightly larger image than 720p which is 1280x720).

I will do additional testing when I get the chance, as the projector currently shows up in the NVidia control panel as HDMI-HDTV even when using the DVI port. As, if I am not mistaken, nvidia limits the output of HDMI and 3D TV Play to a set pixel clock; I feel the need to modify the driver for the monitor (projector) in order for Nvidia, and my computer, to see the projector as a DVI port with 3D Vision capabilities instead of just 3D TV Play. This would remove any software limitations that could be in play here, though I doubt it will have any affect, I will do it anyways just to clear the board of doubt.

EDIT:

Okay, someone explain this one to me, because I am stumped as I have never had these results in any other projector or display.

SO, I decided to test as I explained above, I started using a Alienware Optx AW2310 monitor inf for an EDID override, this is a monitor that is capable of both 1920x1080 @ 120hz, as well as 3D vision (which means frame sequential 3D rather than HDMI 1.4 spec frame packing). Unlike the EH500 here (EH500 has a display port so would assume similar if not exact results) instead of just blanking out and not accepting 1920x1080 @ 120hz, the EH501 accepted this resolution fine...ish... It displayed it at 960x1080 @ 120hz (half of the 1920). Of course the image looked a bit distorted, specifically like it was missing half its pixels...

The thing that stumps me here is what is actually taking place behind the scenes. Generally if a signal is out of range, the end device will not accept it at all, will not make a handshake, and will display "signal out of range." Secondly, by default it seems the DVI port of the EH501 projector requests (through its EDID) to be detected and processed as an HDMI port (hence why Nvidia shows HDMI-HDTV despite being hooked up through the DVI port. Yes, you can utilize a DVI port as an HDMI port, hence the existence of DVI to HDMI couplers and Vice Versa. When using a DVI port as an HDMI port it outputs the signal as "HDTV" meaning the handshake between projector and computer decide on resolutions based on "1080p" or "720p". This is as opposed to output as a PC in which the timings are slightly different, beyond that I would have to consult google as my memory fails me.

SO! Why would this projector, when outputted from the computer as PC rather than HDTV still accept the signal, but only half of it? Is it accepting the whole signal and dropping half off? Does it have a chipset in it allowing the full Dual Link signal to come in, but later drops the dual link signal in favor of single link, therefore cutting out pixels included in the dual link portion of the port? I have no idea... Nor do I have any ideas on how to test this, I can't just use a non-120hz monitor and force 120hz 1080p EDID as the monitor itself cannot display 120hz in any resolution. We have a unique situation in that projectors can display 120hz in some resolutions, but not all. The upside, the EH501 makes it further than the EH500, as that projector just went out of signal above the pixel clock of 173Mhz, this projector on the other hand did something entirely different...

Tomorrow I plan on consulting a friend also well versed in... tinkering... Perhaps we can come up with some ideas, otherwise, I am open to suggestions, thoughts, and comments.

EDIT 2:

I should also mention, it displays in 960x1080 even when pushing a lower resolution to the projector in this mode. pushing 1366x768 @ 120hz for example results in the same listed displayed resolution of 960x1080 (displayed in the bottom left corner by the projector). Very interesting as it tells me there may be around this using a driver for a projector, though I would need a driver for a projector that has a DVI port AND can do 120hz 1920x1080 by default AND is 3D Vision capable, which (to my knowledge) doesn't exist.... so there's that...

Last thing that should be mentioned, 3D Vision worked perfectly using this technique, setting the projector to frame sequential 3D vision (other than being visually distorted due to the lack of pixels) worked perfectly fine through DLP Link, as if you had an IR emitter and 3D Monitor, which is also promising as it means these projectors are natively capable of handling 3D Vision and frame sequential without problems.

EDIT 3
:

Also, if you can get over the fact that some words look a little strange (really just 2D words on the screen) games actually do look significantly better in this mode than in 720p 3D through HDMI 1.4a Frame Packing... which I suppose makes a certain degree of sense since this mode is technically 960x1080 which is slightly more pixels. Though with the EH500 I was able to game at 1366x768 which is even slightly more pixels... so there is that. Definitely need to find a way to both Fake 3D Vision compatible, without kicking it into this 960x1080 mode... Or figure out how to get it to show the rest of the pixels, that would work for me too...

Now I'm going to bed... for real this time.

Last edited by CaptainTaco; 07-08-2014 at 09:39 PM.
post #50 of 55 Old 08-06-2014, 10:42 PM

Captain-

This model is designed for dual projector passive 3D (among other things).

Is it possible the pj is set to either L or R in the 3D settings, and it's trying to give you half of a frame packed image?

It's clear you know a lot more about pushing current pj limits than I do, so please ignore if my question makes no sense.

Thanks for the info so far. I'm considering 2 of these for passive 3D, so anything you can share would be welcomed. :-)

-Russ
(an old timer who used to know a *lot* about CRT projectors, but doesn't really know diddly bumpus about these new-fangled jobs...)
post #51 of 55 Old 02-05-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Well, this is somewhat of an old thread but I need some help with this projector. I have two of these exact projectors in a gymnasium. They are high enough up that they don't have easy access. We have them hooked up to a computer through cat 5 so we can run them from that point as we really can't run them from a remote control because of their distance.

We have the software from Optoma to help with setup of the pj and run an HDMI cat 5 balun up to the pjs so we can hook up a Tricaster so we can run graphics etc up on the screens.

So, what I am saying is computer to cat 5 for running the pj, Tricaster to balun to cat 5 to get signal to pj. The problem I am having is getting the proper colors on both projectors and have no idea what I am doing wrong. I have worked with pjs for many years now but have never run into this kind of a problem. I have checked HDMI cables and nothing changes.

Is there someone out there that has this pj and has this type of setup or even run into this type of a problem. I am lost but wish I were found. Can anyone lead me in the right direction as I have searched and this is the best topic I have found on this pj.

Last edited by Ingeborgdot; 02-05-2015 at 03:01 PM.
post #52 of 55 Old 02-05-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
It's not juste the connector that you Need but a chip inside the projector that can handle 330Mhz. But every time they choose to implement a cheap chip that cannot handle that Speed. For exemple, the hdmi 1.4b (and not a) should already be able to do the trick but because nobody was interested in it and because it costs a Little bit more, it was never used..

I would still be interested in a home Cinema countepart Version of this projector WITH pure Motion on board for about the same Price. It would be already an improvement over the hd33 is use for 3D.

- Dc3 @ 144hz (instead of DC2 with 120hz)
- More lumens
- Vertical Lens-shift
You can fit 120hz 1080p over an HDMI 1.4a connection, using 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, if the chips supported it which is looks like they don't. But the frequency that handles a UHD @ 60hz using the bandwidth-halving 4:2:0 compression that NVidia exploited in their driver recently, should in theory mean that even a PS4 or Xbox One should be able to output 120hz (or 60hz 3D or fake 3D) signal to a 1080p projector or TV.

I wish I knew how to force my GTX 970 to use 4:2:0 YCbCr all the time.
post #53 of 55 Old 02-06-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'm going to call support today to see what I need to do. I worked for hours yesterday trying to get a blue to not look blue green. I am not sure how this is going to work. I have never had this problem with a pj before although I have never had this type of a connection before either. I have never heard of anyone saying that by hooking up HDMI through cat5 that it caused them any problems.
post #54 of 55 Old 02-10-2015, 03:07 PM

Liked: 0
Projector for large outdoor movies

I currently have a 144" (diagonal) outdoor screen and love having movies in the back yard. I want to upgrade to a much larger screen. I really want the 315" (diagonal) screen from Carl's Place.
(add the . to the url below to see the screen)
carlofet com/finished-edge-screens-with-grommets/flexigray-finished-edge-screens.html#.VNlOhkJtitY

The downside is my current 2,000 Lumens projector isn't bright enough to light up that big of a screen.

This Epson EH501 seems to be the cheapest "bright" projector I can find. The EH500 also seems like a good value.

Do you guys have any recommendations? What do you think about using either of these projectors for large outdoor movies? Any other projectors you'd recommend for this scenario?

Thanks!
post #55 of 55 Old 02-11-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Benq HC1200 could do the trick. A new review just came up, looks pretty good.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Dlp Projector 2000 1080p
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com