Choices: Epson 5030 or Vizio M801 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I know this is the question has been asked a few times before, and I've been reading peoples opinions...but times/projectors/tv's change. So here is my dilemma. My wife and I are closing on our house this week. It's a 1957 brick ranch, just under 1200 sq' with a partially finished basement...but for the most part its a raw space...and it's ALL MINE... I'm struggling between building a dedicated theater room with front projection, raised seating etc or a new Vizio M801 LCD flatscreen. My use will be 50% HDTV cable about 40% Computer/HTPC/games viewing and maybe 10%'ish movies. I'm all set as far as audio goes with a full NHT speaker system/Sunfire processor blah blah blah...One thought is...I currently have an older 55inch Vizio that's working fine, it's about 5 years old, I could use that for my "everyday watching" of tv and surfing the web, and on those few occasions fire up a projector for an experience. I can get special pricing on Epson projectors and I've been looking at their new 5030 and most likely shoot a 110" image sitting anywhere from 8 to 15' back. DLP is right out as I see the flash...I haven't decided on how much of the basement I want to dedicated yet. Because the space is in the basement it would be 100% light controlled.

Thanks for any comments

Sunfire Theater Grand IV, Emotiva Stealth 8, Adam powered monitors, Epik sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson projector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 323
do you want a TV room or a home theater? An 80" tv seems big, and it is for a TV. But there's no substituting a larger screen size, especially with a good, budget priced 2D/3D projector like the 5030.

Can you go even larger? I went from a 92" -> 110" -> 142" and would go larger if I had the room. This is an easy decision, especially in a basement where the light can easily be controlled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

do you want a TV room or a home theater? An 80" tv seems big, and it is for a TV. But there's no substituting a larger screen size, especially with a good, budget priced 2D/3D projector like the 5030.

Can you go even larger? I went from a 92" -> 110" -> 142" and would go larger if I had the room. This is an easy decision, especially in a basement where the light can easily be controlled.

Yes I want a tv and a home theater...it has to be a multipurpose room. It's where I'll spend a lot of time surfing forums, listening to music and the wife loves to play video games and we watch tv. I suppose I could go bigger like 120" but I'm not sure how far away from the screen I'm going to be, I would say first row will be 10 feet and second row right behind that.

Sunfire Theater Grand IV, Emotiva Stealth 8, Adam powered monitors, Epik sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson projector...
post #4 of 6 Old 10-20-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 294
It really depends on the room and your desires. Front projection is not one bit better or worse than any other TV in a decent room. If you have good light control by the screen, then I would recommend that you ditch the TV altogether and just throw a 100"+ screen up on the wall.

It is amazing how quickly you get used to the size, so pick your screen sized based upon your theater seating preferences. Center of theater is about 1.5x the screen width, so if you like sitting closer, go a bit larger than that calculation. Typical center of theater is 110" to a 12' viewing distance. But, you do want to control light in the room very well for best results. That means darker paint, and more directional lights which can be dimmed. You can have hundreds of watts of lighting as long as they don't fall on the screen directly and have huge reflections that fall on the screen.

We had a multi-purpose room in our old home. Painted burgundy with grey carpet and grey ceilings, but we had 3 rows of recessed lights which provided a lot of light output where we needed it at the time. The kid's could play on the floor while I watched the game, or someone worked over at the desk area. Good blackout shades on the windows meant that the projector could be used daytime or nighttime without issue.

A multipurpose room will never be a dedicated home theater, but with proper thought and planning it can still provide an excellent cinematic experience when the lights are out, and a very useful room when the lights need to be on in certain areas. Great for hanging out with friends while watching the game, or cranking up to watch a good movie, or to entertain the kids with cartoons while they play in the room with some lights on.

Planning is key.
hifibuyguy likes this.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-09-2013, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifibuyguy View Post

Ok, I know this is the question has been asked a few times before, and I've been reading peoples opinions...but times/projectors/tv's change. So here is my dilemma. My wife and I are closing on our house this week. It's a 1957 brick ranch, just under 1200 sq' with a partially finished basement...but for the most part its a raw space...and it's ALL MINE... I'm struggling between building a dedicated theater room with front projection, raised seating etc or a new Vizio M801 LCD flatscreen. My use will be 50% HDTV cable about 40% Computer/HTPC/games viewing and maybe 10%'ish movies. I'm all set as far as audio goes with a full NHT speaker system/Sunfire processor blah blah blah...One thought is...I currently have an older 55inch Vizio that's working fine, it's about 5 years old, I could use that for my "everyday watching" of tv and surfing the web, and on those few occasions fire up a projector for an experience. I can get special pricing on Epson projectors and I've been looking at their new 5030 and most likely shoot a 110" image sitting anywhere from 8 to 15' back. DLP is right out as I see the flash...I haven't decided on how much of the basement I want to dedicated yet. Because the space is in the basement it would be 100% light controlled.

Thanks for any comments

So what did You do?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #6 of 6 Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
You do a lot of gaming.. I am not sure an LCD projector is the best for you unless you are okay with the lag... There are some DLP projectors out there that have less lag and are cheaper, but definitely read up on the lag time with the Epson projectors. If you play online multiplayer first person shooters, you will want to check response times.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M801d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page