Optoma HD180x - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

So pardon me if my search and google-fu are weak, but I am new to projectors and wanted to start off with something easy and cheap to start off with and I came across the Optoma HD180x on amazon for $550;

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-H180X-Lumens-Theater-Projector/dp/B00F0DI8LK

Im having trouble finding any reviews or much information at all on it except that 2-3 years ago Optoma had an HD180 which I assumed this is based upon. (Edit: but the HD180 is a 1080P where as the 180x is 720P) so it doesnt seem realted.

Does anyone have one of these or an HD180?

I'm looking for something for some gaming and movies, I dont plan on watching much/if any TV. The room I am planning on is decently sized at 13'10" wide (for the direction I plan on pointing it) and has 12' ceilings. I was thinking of ceiling mounting it a 1' deep wall shelf I have about 8' up. Does that seem reasonable?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 377
This is a brand new model, and because of the price, is likely their replacement for the very aging HD66.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-H180X.htm

It is still listed as 'pending' on the projector central website, so if it is now out there, that's good to see and I expect reviews will start coming in, but at this point, there sounds like there is very little information available.

Optoma has been fairly reliable over the years and this entry level 720p model is almost surprising considering the movement towards 1080p projection. I expect it will be a very solid entry level model based upon their track record.
Elizondo likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-20-2013, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for information. I realize I kept referring to it as the HD180x when it's actually the H180x. Regardless, I looked into the HD66, and decided to order the H180x to see if a projector setup is something that I want/works for me.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-20-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Good luck!

If you have any questions about whether or not a projector WILL work for you, then those are the types of questions that certainly can be answered here.

I find that most people who use front projection end up really enjoying it, so that is rarely an issue, on the other hand, you have to make it fit your space, and sometimes you have to adjust your space to allow it all to work.

Considerations of placement and light control being the most important in regards to the projector itself.

The audio side is a very long discussion as well.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Hi I am seriously thinking about purchasing one of these projectors (Optoma H180x) and would like to clarify something regarding it's 3d Capabilities.
Will it simply be a case of plugging in my Playstation 3 via HDMI cable in to projector to view 3D content or does this model require the additional use of an Optoma 3D-XL unit?
Thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-28-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesie27 View Post

Hi I am seriously thinking about purchasing one of these projectors (Optoma H180x) and would like to clarify something regarding it's 3d Capabilities.
Will it simply be a case of plugging in my Playstation 3 via HDMI cable in to projector to view 3D content or does this model require the additional use of an Optoma 3D-XL unit?
Thanks.
The specifications for this list it as a Full HD 3D unit. Unlike a 3D Ready model, this means that the projector has HDMI 1.4 inputs and supports standard 3D formats out of the box. You will just need to purchase the proper 3D glasses for the projector.

The specifications are here and list the 3D formats supported (which includes PS3/4 standard formats):
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_spec_7803.pdf

It looks like a great entry level Full 3D model of projector.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma H180x Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - H180x by PriceGrabber.com