Epson 5020 Black friday? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's a bit early, I know, but I'm wondering if I should expect the Epson 5020 to have a Black Friday deal or not. I'm not really sure if projectors tend to go on sale for it.

Any thoughts? Lowest I see right now is $2377 and I'd rather buy sooner than later but not if it will save me a few hundred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I hope so... I am waiting for the same projector to go on sale... I am planning on it being around $1600- $1800
Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

The 5010 refurbs are at $1600 so that might be a bit low for a new from last year.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
If I'm not mistaken, the Epson 5030 just now shipping is most likely a replacement for the 5020. I should thank that might produce some good prices somewhere along the way.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
crutchfield is selling the 5020UBe for $2399 right now
Old 11-25-2013, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
$1899 refurb at visualapex. Now I'm debating if a brand new 5030 would be worth the extra $700?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:18 PM

I called visual apex earlier today and asked them about 3D glasses. The refurbs do not come with any. A new 5030 would come with 2 pairs of rf glasses. Those are about 85-100 dollars each so I consider their price of the 5020 refurb to be 1900+200 = 2100. It's still a 500 dollar difference which IMO is a considerable difference.

I am also kind of considering that mitsu 7900 that getting talked about quite a bit. At 1000 bucks, very tempting. I think the epson is a better projector, especially with brighter 3D modes.

I'm currently using a optoma gt750, which has been described as a light canon and I find 3D on it to be a little dim. But I also calibrated the projector which really cut into my lumens a LOT. I think I'm going to go with the 5020 cause dim 3D just sucks, especially when watching outdoor scenes and the sky just looks overcast the whole time.

If I didn't care so much about 3D....the mitsu would've already been ordered though.

I think the samsung 4100's work with the epson, not sure about the 5100 but at 20 bucks a pair not a bad deal.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

I think the samsung 4100's work with the epson, not sure about the 5100 but at 20 bucks a pair not a bad deal.

Samsung 5100's definitely worked. I've used them personally with my 2030 before returning. 5030 using the same link/sync protocol.

5100's are like $19 on Amazon.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 141
This isn't good for me. I'm supposed to wait towards the END of my build to purchase the PJ. eek.gif
Old 11-26-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

This isn't good for me. I'm supposed to wait towards the END of my build to purchase the PJ. eek.gif

Hey, I'm supposed to finish the rest of the house before messing with the basement but damnit I can't wait. I have a gt750 that I have used the past 2 years in my apartment and not having a 100+ in screen somewhere in this house is making me nuts.

I've been going back and forth on the refurb 5020, a new 5020ube at 2400, or the 5030 at 2600. First I'm leaning towards the 5020ub refurb, then I start thinking that the 5020ube with wireless hdmi would be nice and it comes with 2 pairs of glasses which puts a decent dent into the savings on the refurb. But then I start thinking that heck, for another 200 more I can get the improved 5030.....but then I'm close to the sony hw50es etc etc etc. Watch me sell my house and end up with a runco. Then I look at the sony hw55es and realize that I've rationalized an extra 2K in 100 dollar increments.

I got a pretzel in my head.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Would a demo 6020 with <800 hours on current bulb, spare bulb, full 3 yr warranty, mount, etc. be a good deal for $2400?
Old 11-26-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb View Post

Would a demo 6020 with <800 hours on current bulb, spare bulb, full 3 yr warranty, mount, etc. be a good deal for $2400?

I believe that the 6020 is the installer version of the 5020. Mounts are pretty cheap at monoprice so it comes down to warranty and bulb. A bulb is probably around 300 so at 1900, the refurb 5020 would still be a little bit cheaper unless that 6020 comes with glasses. In this case, I'd opt for the refurb 5020, I'd rather have a refurb from authorized dealer because it's coming from epson. They have gone over the projector and tested it and fixed it. You have no idea what people were doing to the demo model, touching the lens, poking at it. The machine might say 800 hours on the bulb, but you have no way of knowing (usually you can reset the hours...and some customer might have done this while playing around on the floor and the store would have no idea). Also the brightness has probably been cranked up to deal with the stores ambient lighting.

If the savings were bigger maybe, but I think the 5020 refurb at 1900 is a better deal than the floor demo at 2400. Are you sure you get the whole 3 yr warranty? I'm wondering if the warranty period started when the retailer put it on the floor? I really have no idea how they sell these at near 3500 bucks, I'd be going for a sony hw50es all day over the 6020 at that price. Really epson, 1 yr warranty, a black case, a mount, and spare bulb is worth a 1K price difference?

The price is close enough though that for me, it comes down to getting a refurb that has been thoroughly tested at epson and a demo off the floor that I have no idea about. But ask if you get the 2 pairs of glasses with that 6020 deal. If so it's the same price as the 5020-refurb. 1900 for pj, + 200 for glass, + 300 for bulb = 2400

Old 11-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It comes with 2 pair of glasses. I'm not worried about somebody messing with the hours and I doubt the dealer would do it. It is not that type of place where people roam freely and check things out. It is in a room where it is demoed by the sales staff and it is mounted in a projector alcove. It is controlled by one of their touch screens. It would not be easy to get at and the remote is not available. It has also been calibrated and looks fantastic but they did say the calibration should be redone for my room and screen. The calibration would be extra if I opt for that. It is more of specialty shop, not a Best Buy type of place. It is from an Epson dealer and comes with the 3 year warranty where the 5020/5030 is only 2 year. The mount is a Chief mount. I'm not sure if I'm going to use the mount as I might just put it on a shelf but the mount is part of the bundle. I could see if they will give some credit for it.

They said they are just going to put up one of the newer projectors in its place as it is that time of year that most new models are coming out and they change out equipment. I tend to believe them on that and they have a good reputation.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb View Post

It comes with 2 pair of glasses. I'm not worried about somebody messing with the hours and I doubt the dealer would do it. It is not that type of place where people roam freely and check things out. It is in a room where it is demoed by the sales staff and it is mounted in a projector alcove. It is controlled by one of their touch screens. It would not be easy to get at and the remote is not available. It has also been calibrated and looks fantastic but they did say the calibration should be redone for my room and screen. The calibration would be extra if I opt for that. It is more of specialty shop, not a Best Buy type of place. It is from an Epson dealer and comes with the 3 year warranty where the 5020/5030 is only 2 year. The mount is a Chief mount. I'm not sure if I'm going to use the mount as I might just put it on a shelf but the mount is part of the bundle. I could see if they will give some credit for it.

They said they are just going to put up one of the newer projectors in its place as it is that time of year that most new models are coming out and they change out equipment. I tend to believe them on that and they have a good reputation.

Nice. So then yeah it's about the same deal as a refurb 5020 with an extra year of warranty. Although with the 5020 refurb I think they put in a new bulb whereas with the demo unit you're down about 800 hours. I think epson is rated at 4-5k hours so that 800 is about 20% of the lifetime so if a bulb is 300 bucks, the usage on that bulb represents about 60 dollars. I'd probably get your deal just to get the black projector instead of the white, also it's nice to walk into a shop and just buy something. I would probably try to get them to throw in some extras or something, try to weasel an extra pair of glasses, or a cable or something. I would mention to them that I can get a factory refurb 5020 for the same amount with a new bulb and I think the shipping is free and no sales tax.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:27 PM
ozp

Projector People are selling 5020UB B-stock for the same $1899 and it comes with 2 pairs of glasses and full warranty. So, aside from glasses, what's better to get Refurbished or B-stock?

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 37
What does B-Stock mean in the case of projectors?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 456
B-stock is typically a customer returned projector which they couldn't afford or just didn't want. Maybe zero lamp hours, maybe just a dozen or so lamp hours. It may also mean a piece of 'demo' gear which may have a few more hours on the lamp, but often may have been used for just a few dozen hours by the company itself.

For example, I bought a b-stock Panasonic AE1000 projector a few years ago for $300. It has 68 hours on the lamp and I had to fix the lens shift mechanism on it (30 minutes). I then used it for several years without any issues at all.

Refurbished typically means that the projector went in for repair, and was likely replaced by the manufacturer with another model to the customer. The projector was repaired entirely to the best of their knowledge, it was tested, and seems to work great. It has a brand new lamp installed in it. So, refurbished product typically has zero lamp hours.

Both refurbished and b-stock may carry a full manufacturer's warranty, but this is a key point as it also may NOT. So, check carefully on the warranty period you will get on refurbished or b-stock merchandise.
fitbrit likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks very much!

Tags
Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector