First Home theater: new epson 2030 or refurbrished 8350 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-23-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I originally was going to save up for more expensive projector, but college acceptance made me have to shrink a bit and now I have a 1000 budget for my projector. For this price which would be the best. Here are my thoughts on a few that I read about.

Epson 8350: Great projector, old but is very good. Only drawback is that i hear lot of quality control/bulb issues on the 8350 thread so getting a refurbished one scares me a bit.
Epson 2030: it would be new unlike the 8350 so less chance of having a defect(technically). Heard has a very lcdtv like image less blacks than 8350.

A big note on DLP. I know that at this price range a dlp projector would be the best but since I personally never used a dlp projector i do not know if i am sensitive to rainbow effect and since most likely i will be taking this to college then probably one of my friends will see it if he is over there, so I prefer 3lcd simply because of that. If it was just for my personal viewing i would go dlp and see if i am affected with rainbows etc, but its not.

The screen would be 100" to 110" 16:9. Which one would be better, do not just focus on image quality but also on quality control etc. I believe the 8350 qwill be better in picture quality. Also suggest other projectors if you wish, I am open to anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I wish people would not be against DLP from the fear of RBE that have never seen the technology. About 1 in 10 people can see rainbows and of those only maybe 1 in 10 can't learn to live with it. So that puts it at about 1 in 100 or less that can't watch the projector. I have had 2 DLP RPTV's and 2 DLP projectors in the past 15 years and never has a single person ever complained about RBE of even knew what it was. The few who do have a problem with it complain the most on these threads. Millions of these projectors are sold every year and only a few are returned do to this problem. If your set on LCD the lens shift of the 8350 would be great for a projector that is not fixed in a theater and will have the best picture, but the 2030 should be more reliable with cheaper bulbs and 3D. I personally would go with DLP

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 10 Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

That is what i constantly hear, but i was not sure. For my price a w1070 would be perfect, but yet again I hear that it really isnt a 6x color wheel, it only spins that when signaled 50hz but when displayed 24hz such as blurays it actually goes 3x increasing the rainbow effect supposedly. Then there is the hd 25 which again i hear is good, but not as good as the w1070. Should i go ahead and try a dlp. and if so which dlp would be best.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Its a real toss up between the Optoma HD131e or the BenQ 1070. Each has pros and cons, they are both good entry level projectors. I'm very happy with my Optoma HD33 and don't plan on replacing it soon but my choice between the two would be the Optoma. Read through the threads and decide for your self.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #5 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
A cheap LED model like an LG PA70G/PA75G will do that size screen with light control. Cheap cost, no bulb to worry about, no real care and feeding of the projector (i.e. you buddies can turn it off then right back on without consequences).

It's DLP, but the equivalent color wheel speed is "high" from what I hear. I could see rainbows on slower color wheel speed DLPs (like the first 720P RP DLPs that were maybe 1-2x), but past that I can maybe catch a glimpse, but it's not even remotely distrasting. I never see them on my LG projector, and I've even tried looking for them.

IMO, RBE is completely blown out of proportion as an issue with single chip DLPs. I find image quality issues like high black levels and lack of contrast at high or low IRE much more distracting personally. Even when you see a rainbow, it's typically on a very high contrast edge moving quickly and it's just a fleeting thing. But like I said, a very small percentage of people can see them on modern projectors with their higher colorwheel speeds or LED cycling times.

Give the LED projectors a thought, as they are more robust and cheaper to run than a bulb projector of the same approximate cost.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 PM

Liked: 22
Love my Epson 8350. Great light output and amazing picture quality. Almost a year and I am still on the first bulb.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
At this stage of the game I would get a 3D projector. You don't pay a premium for 3d (glasses can wait). The capability is there should you or your friends want to use it.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

The w1070 is for 800 now on sale, do you see this coming down in few months, or should i go for it.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I'm going to throw this out there...

LCD looks great, it doesn't handle motion as well as DLP, but Epson has gone through great strides in their LCD technology to make it excellent and it does a great job across the board.

Now, if you intend to use this heavily, then consider that the Epson offers replacement lamps for $99. I would figure that into whatever budget you may have. Certainly the W1070 is nice, but you better believe I see RBE on my unit. I still like it, but it bugs me. The Optoma by some reports does a better job, but not sure if I buy into that or not. The Epsons I've seen, and I've seen the 8350 many times, have all worked very well for my clients over the years and have been impressive to me.

I wouldn't rule out the Epson for sure. Especially if a long term budget consideration is part of the plan because if the lamp blows on that BenQ, you are out $250 for a BenQ replacement lamp. Just $99 for the Epson.

Certainly something else to consider.

I don't see the W1070 dropping much (if at all). It was originally released at $800 which is what it was when I got it. But, it's $899 at Visual Apex right now and seems to be $900 at most places.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-25-2013, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I heard alot about their customer service. I am not sure which one I will be going with, I will probably wait until Christmas to buy one so I have more time to decide.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030 3lcd Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page