First Projector - Which one??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-24-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an unfinished basement and decided I want to buy a projector for the upcoming Xbox One to play on. I spoke with a few local home theater stores here and one recommended the Epson 5020UB and the other recommended the JVC DLA-X35. From the online reviews I have read I am thinking of going with the Epson 5020UB and wanted your guys opinions.

The room is about 17'x29' with 8' ceilings, but I will be putting up black out curtains to enclose the "home theater" area which will be 17'x12'. The projector will be 12' back from where the screen will be. In the "home theater" area there will be no windows, however if the curtains are open there is one window well back and around the corner with no direct sunlight getting to the screen area.

I will be using the projector mostly for movies and console games and watching streaming video. I currently have an older Yamaha receiver I will be using for now along with 5.1 Athena speakers and Elemental Designs subwoofer. My wife would like to be able to watch a movie while working out so some lights will be on. (On a side note I need to pick a screen too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The lag times for the 5020 is pretty bad if you going to play games on it. I would check out the thread on 3000 + USD MSRP where they did a shoot out on a bunch of projectors. Also the new 5030 is said to have good lag time but still some test are going on. I would get the 5030 if the lag time has improved because the price is the same as 5020.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I can't advise on the projectors, but if you plan on watching 3d material, make sure your receiver is hdmi 1.4 compliant.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't even know a newer 5030 was out. I will look into it.

Also, I really don't care about 3D. Just not for me. I want a great picture and no lag and be able to still see with a couple lights still on sometimes.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Let me add that I will mainly use it to watch movies and play Xbox One games so motion blur is a big thing. Also, some lights may be on sometimes. My price range is $2,500-$3,000. Should I just consider a large TV instead? If so which one?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page