Optoma HD131Xe vs Epson 5030 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm looking to get my first projector. I currently have a 60" plasma and I love it. Therefore, I am looking for something that will be comparable, but much bigger.

I'm willing to spend up to $2,500 for the projector. From all the reading I have been doing, I think I've narrowed it down to the Optoma hd131 or Epson 5030.

What are your thoughts on this? Is the Epson worth the additional $1,500 plus?

I should mention that the projectors main usage will be movies and TV programs. While we may watch a 3D movie here and there, 2D is the main requirement.
nickoakdl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 331
It really depends on the room you are putting it into. If you have a good plasma, then you may have certain expectations for black level performance, motion handling, image processing, etc.

The Epson will deliver better black levels and should have better color and image processing compared to the 131x, but the Optoma will do a bit better with motion because it is DLP.

But, the black levels won't match the Epson.

On the other hand, if your room is white, you have white ceilings, beige carpet, and your typical living room furniture and a couple of floor lamps, then you may want to go to your local movie theater and ask why it is they don't do that same setup... biggrin.gif

Really, if you are doing a front projector, and you want top shelf results, then yes, the Epson is worth it, but only if the room is worth it, and if the room is worth it, then spend $500 more and get the JVC RS46 which will blow away the Epson and obliterate the Optoma. It actually IS worth the money spend. The Epson is nice because it does a solid job and has great zoom range and does a fair job with 3D, but the JVC simply rules with 2D performance and satisfactory 3D (despite what others may say).

If this is just your 'family room', then I'm not sure the Epson is worth it. You will get some benefit from the added black levels, but the light bounce if the room isn't properly treated, will bring contrast down a fair bit. You certainly will notice the improved black levels, but the room wouldn't warrant the extra cost IMO.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It depends on the room environment. A $2500 projector is only marginally better than an $800 projector just as a $10,000 projector is only marginally better than the $2500 projector. If you don't need the lens shift for placement flexibility and have a white room with some ambient light the Optoma should do very well. In a dark dedicated theater the Epson will be much better. None will compare to a plasma for black level or contrast but size makes a huge difference. Is the Epson worth $1800 more than the Optoma no not to me but that's what you have to pay for the better black levels. I have seen comparisons between the two and some like the look of DLP better some don't.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #4 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslv2pwned View Post

I'm looking to get my first projector. I currently have a 60" plasma and I love it. Therefore, I am looking for something that will be comparable, but much bigger.

I'm willing to spend up to $2,500 for the projector. From all the reading I have been doing, I think I've narrowed it down to the Optoma hd131 or Epson 5030.

What are your thoughts on this? Is the Epson worth the additional $1,500 plus?

I should mention that the projectors main usage will be movies and TV programs. While we may watch a 3D movie here and there, 2D is the main requirement.

I'm debating between the 2 same projectors as well. I think the fact that we're pinning a $750 projector vs a $2600 projector says a lot.

The Epson looks great, but has a lot of negatives in my opinion. Also, while the warranty seems great, once it is over you might as well start projector shopping again because people go through these Epson's like they are socks. I'm sure either will look great, but I'm leaning towards the Optoma because I want something lag free and crosstalk free. Also, no SDE, MUCH cheaper lamps, and less long term issues.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at both of these projectors. I have a Sharp XV-Z12000MK which has served me well for several years. My screen is a 92" high power screen. I almost got the Epson but didn't want to go over $2,000.00. When the Optoma came out with the great price I bought it right away. There were so many good comments made and everyone was raving about the price. For $800.00 I thought it would be a good investment and it is 1080p where my old one was 1080i. Well I had to move it closer by 2.5' and cutout a cable outlet, but besides that not much else. Some of the things I do not like which are minor. First the ceiling mount is not as good as the Sharp, its just a ball with a peg out of it. Although the projector only weigh a few pounds compared to the Sharp. Next issue is the light that sprays out of the cooling vents. If you sit behind you don't notice it, but I have a "L" shape room with a 60" TV in one direction and the projector showing 90 degrees from it. The last complaint is when you shut it off the fan is loud for about a minute or two. I also heard that the projector clock will sometimes round up to the next hour. For the price and the quality of the picture I am happy. I think sometimes the picture on the Optoma is better than the TV. Mitch
post #6 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

The room is painted a medium blue. It has a window that is blacked out. The current couches are cream colored leather, but are being replaced with either black or dark brown leather. The remainder of the furniture is black. The ceiling is white.

Motion handling is a concern since we watch a lot of action type movies.

Most movies are watched at night in a completely dark room.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-26-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Any more recommendations based on my room and usage?

Sent from my mobile phone using Board Express
post #8 of 16 Old 10-26-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

I should mention that I have switched my options to the Optoma hd131 and the JVC RS46.

I just need to be sure the added cost of the JVC can be justified in my room. If not, what in the room needs to change to justify and see the difference?

post #9 of 16 Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchorama View Post

I was looking at both of these projectors. I have a Sharp XV-Z12000MK which has served me well for several years. My screen is a 92" high power screen. I almost got the Epson but didn't want to go over $2,000.00. When the Optoma came out with the great price I bought it right away. There were so many good comments made and everyone was raving about the price. For $800.00 I thought it would be a good investment and it is 1080p where my old one was 1080i. Well I had to move it closer by 2.5' and cutout a cable outlet, but besides that not much else. Some of the things I do not like which are minor. First the ceiling mount is not as good as the Sharp, its just a ball with a peg out of it. Although the projector only weigh a few pounds compared to the Sharp. Next issue is the light that sprays out of the cooling vents. If you sit behind you don't notice it, but I have a "L" shape room with a 60" TV in one direction and the projector showing 90 degrees from it. The last complaint is when you shut it off the fan is loud for about a minute or two. I also heard that the projector clock will sometimes round up to the next hour. For the price and the quality of the picture I am happy. I think sometimes the picture on the Optoma is better than the TV. Mitch
the bulb gets extremely hot the fan running g at the end is a power cool cycle to prevent the bulb from getting too hot once the fast is off and to percent things from melting... all my optomas do this.
The bulb counter is more accurate than most.. it automatically counts the 2hours of bulb life you lose every time you fire the bulb up.... many people with front or rear projection systems are ignorant of this fact but its why some people brag about crazy long bulb life... those are people that fire up the projector in the morning and leave it on all day.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslv2pwned View Post

I should mention that I have switched my options to the Optoma hd131 and the JVC RS46.

I just need to be sure the added cost of the JVC can be justified in my room. If not, what in the room needs to change to justify and see the difference?

Your comparing an $800 projector to a $2800 one. To get the most out of the JVC the closer to a bat cave the better. Black ceiling, dark walls and no ambient light. The only thing the optoma might do better is 3D. Of course the JVC should excel in any room is it $2000 better that's a decision you have to make.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #11 of 16 Old 11-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Go for the epson 5030
I went from epson 3020 (1500$) to mitsubishi hc5 (3000$ ) black levels will Play same league has 5030 and tottaly worth it.
And my space is the living room.... All white.

Portuguese Blog & Forum Discussion about Audio & Video
Visit our Blog & Forum CinemaHIFI.PT
Like cinemahifi on Facebook
post #12 of 16 Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
What about a fully light controlled theater room but all white walls and ceiling? JVC or Epson?
post #13 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy View Post

What about a fully light controlled theater room but all white walls and ceiling? JVC or Epson?

I your case with two PJs with similar black levels for a white room, i would go for the higher lumens projector.
The amount of black level the room can provide, will take the 2 projectors at similiar amount of black level performance.

See the picture of my room in the link below, my epson 3020 (2200 lumens ) with this amount of light in the room, the screen would be all washed out, whereas the HC5 (1000 lumens) can provide a good image in the screen.
In some bat cave the difference would be even higher for the HC5

In 3D the epson has avantage due the higher lumens.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=745625695453255&set=a.725954730753685.1073741827.147044831978014&type=1&theater

Portuguese Blog & Forum Discussion about Audio & Video
Visit our Blog & Forum CinemaHIFI.PT
Like cinemahifi on Facebook
post #14 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy View Post

If you have white walls and ceiling, you don't have anything that approaches 'light control'. By that standard, after dark, almost every room of every home would be called 'light controlled'.

If you are unwilling, or unable to paint (rentals), then going with a higher contrast projector will not provide the best results, but nonetheless, the best results will be provided by the projector which delivers the best image, and that honor belongs to the JVC projectors. It won't match up to what it would look like in a properly treated theater space, but during dark scenes, the blacks will be better which means less light bouncing back onto the screen. In bright scenes no matter which projector is in use, there will be reflections back on the screen. The brighter the projector, the more reflections will be there and the lower the overall contrast ratio will be.

This is when a black screen or a positive gain grey screen can help improve image quality some. But, a pricey screen doesn't fix a bad room. $50 in paint does.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

If you have white walls and ceiling, you don't have anything that approaches 'light control'. By that standard, after dark, almost every room of every home would be called 'light controlled'.

If you are unwilling, or unable to paint (rentals), then going with a higher contrast projector will not provide the best results, but nonetheless, the best results will be provided by the projector which delivers the best image, and that honor belongs to the JVC projectors. It won't match up to what it would look like in a properly treated theater space, but during dark scenes, the blacks will be better which means less light bouncing back onto the screen. In bright scenes no matter which projector is in use, there will be reflections back on the screen. The brighter the projector, the more reflections will be there and the lower the overall contrast ratio will be.

This is when a black screen or a positive gain grey screen can help improve image quality some. But, a pricey screen doesn't fix a bad room. $50 in paint does.
I agree.... I have a friend who has an hd25 in a white finished basement with semigloss paint and a gloss painted floor.... blacks are grey at best....
even my old 1600 lumen hd65 has terrible blacks in my bedroom with two white walls... When the same unit was in my livingroom with dark walls the difference was night and day different. high gain screens can help but at a cost of off axis viewing from outside the "sweetspot" looking dull and flat like a RPTV
post #16 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchorama View Post

I was looking at both of these projectors. I have a Sharp XV-Z12000MK which has served me well for several years. My screen is a 92" high power screen. I almost got the Epson but didn't want to go over $2,000.00. When the Optoma came out with the great price I bought it right away. There were so many good comments made and everyone was raving about the price. For $800.00 I thought it would be a good investment and it is 1080p where my old one was 1080i... Mitch
FYI Mitch, there is no "i" (as in 1080i) as an output for digital displays. They're all "p", as in progressive, no matter the input.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page