Focus problems with Optoma HD25e very bad optics! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
niels jorgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi

 

I have made two attempts on this projector. In both cases (two projectors which I had to return) the optical focus was very faulty. I could not obtain proper optical focus on the entire screen. Please look closer to the screen and you will see the following:

 

When focusing on the top of the screen the bottom was out of focus and visa versa. When the top of the screen was in focus I found the focus plane at the bottom of the picture in about 1,5 meters closer to the projector – so what’s going on here?. Changed  for Benq W1070 (much cheaper) and the optics was perfect! Sorry to tell.

 

Regard Niels J.

niels jorgen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
augiedoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Tonawanda NY,
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
optoma is aware of the issue and that only a small portion of people notice it.... if you contact them they will give you directions to send it in for repair and replace the optics. But if you return it and buy another you will get the same bad optics.its tough to say if they will start replacing the optics in the stocked units or do like they did with the dead pixel issue with the hd66 which they never actually addressed in the whole production run because it was cheaper to just fix them for those who actually followed through with seeking repair.

Something else had to be going on in your case.
The focus issue is there but not very serious to even notice it there has to be sharp text or lines in the effected area.... you make it out to look as if the projector wasnt square and level to the screen.... the actual optics defect only shows up in the bottom right and upper left corners...
and the benq also has been reported to have optics weaknesses.. theres a recent thread where someone complained the bottom corners werent square so he returned it for an epson.

And if you want the HD25E for cheaper than the w1070 you could have read here in many places that the HD131xe is the same projector with a black case for hundreds less.... There are those that are skeptical but the proof all says otherwise and its been done before.
(of course the HD131xe has the same soft focus issue)
augiedoggy is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 10-26-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
niels jorgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the reply

 

But - No No

 

Please be aware, that I am in full control with throw angle and screen setup. It is NOT only in the far corners  It can be seen along the entire upper (or lower) part of the picture. Simply by using the grid test pattern (I believe has 2 pixel lines – I do not longer have the projector) When in focus at the lower part of the picture at 2 pixels  it is blurred to at least 4-6 pixels at the upper and visa versa.  A similar test grid on Benq W1070 reveils almost perfect 2 pixel grid on the entire screen in the same setup in my home. In screen menu texts and similar texts it is also evident – even my 13 year old daughter noticed this. The Optoma HD25e does simply not resolve 1080P in the entire screen due to bad opticts not even to a 720P level. I tested the focal-plane (where the screen should be placed when finding the utmost focus). When the top was In clear focus I found a clear focus of the bottom placed almost 1,5 m closer to the projector (or visa versa I cant rember - please test yourself) – simply by using a piece of paper and moving it between the screen and projector – the optics is simply skew !

 

Regards Niels J.

niels jorgen is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 10-26-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
augiedoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Tonawanda NY,
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I do believe this since I noticed the image passes through on the very offset angle and not in the center of the optics as well.... it actually looks like the bottom corners are clipped if you loon at the image passing through the lens.
The thing is though, I have two 720p projectors and the hd131xe looks great in comparison... the soft text around the edges is the only noticeable thing ... I willlikely send mine in the have the optics replaced once the dust settles as they just started ooffering to replace the optics starting last week...
augiedoggy is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Newbie
 
Jonny Biggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am on my second HD25e and it has the exact same focus issue as the first one. HAs anyone had theres sent off to Optoma to be repaired? and did it actually work?

 

Im thinking of getting mine sent off.

Jonny Biggs is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 11-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
kedelbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

the actual optics defect only shows up in the bottom right and upper left corners...

(of course the HD131xe has the same soft focus issue)

If you look at the screenshots in post 879 of this thread, there is no "optics defect" on my 1 month old 131Xe.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-2500-ansi-lumens-3d-home-theater-projector-sub-800-new-budget-king/870#post_23904583
Bottom right and upper left corners are, if anything, even clearer than the top and bottom center.
Maybe I got a "golden" one.... or, there is no "optics defect" inherent in the design and manufacture of all units, but some less-than acceptable units did and likely will "fall through the cracks" and deserve returning for a repair or replacement unit.
kedelbach is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 11-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Member
 
Kreationz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Biggs View Post
 

I am on my second HD25e and it has the exact same focus issue as the first one. HAs anyone had theres sent off to Optoma to be repaired? and did it actually work?

 

Im thinking of getting mine sent off.


From what I've seen in other threads, Optoma is already replacing lenses. Some have gotten theirs back and report success. I haven't fully set my system up, but I also have a newer model HD25-LV and have yet to notice any issues.

Kreationz is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 11-03-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
augiedoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Tonawanda NY,
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedelbach View Post

If you look at the screenshots in post 879 of this thread, there is no "optics defect" on my 1 month old 131Xe.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-2500-ansi-lumens-3d-home-theater-projector-sub-800-new-budget-king/870#post_23904583
Bottom right and upper left corners are, if anything, even clearer than the top and bottom center.
Maybe I got a "golden" one.... or, there is no "optics defect" inherent in the design and manufacture of all units, but some less-than acceptable units did and likely will "fall through the cracks" and deserve returning for a repair or replacement unit.
There are a hell of a lot more owners that do have the issue than those that dont.... You havent had yours very long... maybe you got one that was recently assembled or maybe you have your zoom setup where is doesnt utilize the effected part of the lens?... The fact remains these lenses are in fact "molded" and it stands to reason if most people are having the same focus issues in the same areas of the screen and replacing the lens fixes the issue than yes, there was a defect in the manufacturing process of many of the lenses.
augiedoggy is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 11-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
kedelbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

There are a hell of a lot more owners that do have the issue than those that dont....

Says who? Shall we do a poll?
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

You havent had yours very long...

What does that have to do with anything, the 131Xe hasn't been around very long. I'll post my SN tomorrow AM, if that has any bearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

maybe you got one that was recently assembled

I thought it was a "molding defect", now it's an "assembly" defect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

or maybe you have your zoom setup where is doesnt utilize the effected part of the lens?...

I'm projecting from 13' onto a 110" screen, dead nuts straight on. Pretty typical "zoom setup".
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

The fact remains these lenses are in fact "molded"

No, lenses are not "molded".
Here's a good primer on how lenses are made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_wL0ZZi6k
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

and it stands to reason if most people are having the same focus issues in the same areas of the screen and replacing the lens fixes the issue than yes, there was a defect in the manufacturing process of many of the lenses.

What evidence do you see for "most people having same focus issues"? A couple posters claiming to have unacceptable focus?
I haven't seen any screenshots from these "bad" lenses, though I've posted numerous ones from mine (see post 879 of the 131Xe thread).
Anecdotal evidence does not equal proof.

Please, Doggie, educate me on this lens "defect" that manifests itself in uneven focus in certain, specific areas of the image (such as "bottom right and upper left corners" like you claim).
I'm well aware of "defects" such as vignetting, barrel/pin-cushion/mustache distortion, axial or radial chromatic distortion, etc, but have never heard of a lens defect such as you describe.
kedelbach is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 11-03-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
augiedoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Tonawanda NY,
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedelbach View Post

Says who? Shall we do a poll?
What does that have to do with anything, the 131Xe hasn't been around very long. I'll post my SN tomorrow AM, if that has any bearing.
I thought it was a "molding defect", now it's an "assembly" defect?
I'm projecting from 13' onto a 110" screen, dead nuts straight on. Pretty typical "zoom setup".
No, lenses are not "molded".
Here's a good primer on how lenses are made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_wL0ZZi6k
What evidence do you see for "most people having same focus issues"? A couple posters claiming to have unacceptable focus?
I haven't seen any screenshots from these "bad" lenses, though I've posted numerous ones from mine (see post 879 of the 131Xe thread).
Anecdotal evidence does not equal proof.

Please, Doggie, educate me on this lens "defect" that manifests itself in uneven focus in certain, specific areas of the image (such as "bottom right and upper left corners" like you claim).
I'm well aware of "defects" such as vignetting, barrel/pin-cushion/mustache distortion, axial or radial chromatic distortion, etc, but have never heard of a lens defect such as you describe.
Well your really picking things apart and being petty now.... Bottom line a large portion of these projectors have a defective lens and optoma is replacing the defective lenses with replacements which correct the issue some here and at "avforum" have already contacted optoma and sent thiers in for repair and got them back with the issue corrected. there are a few others who tried exchanging thiers to get one with better optics only to find the replacement had the same problem. then there are others who have cut and pasted the conversations with optoma where they admit the issue both the earlier chats where optoma said they suggested returning it because they dont have a fix and the later chats starting about three weeks ago where they stated they are now replacing the bad lens assy.
I'm calling it a lens "assy" because I honestly dont know if its one piece or the whole assembly that they are replacing and I dont care thats not the point.

I'm not going to waste any more time "Educating " you because you can do a search or actually read the hd25e and hd131xe threads like I have and see for yourself that plenty of owners have seen the issue...
Amazon stopped selling this unit direct for a while because of some "issue" that customers brought to their attention as they stated about a month ago.
Since you dont have the issue you have ASSUMED that it has to be non existent and made up despite the manufactures claims and all of the other owners who do or have had it..... Ignorance is bliss I guess...

and yes some budget projectors use molded lenses, I can link too...

http://www.nittohkogaku.co.jp/english/zoom/molding/glass-molding.php

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/optical_devices/customized-optics/

and here a link to some of the reviews talking about the soft corner issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-3D-Home-Theater-Projector/product-reviews/B00E4JEDWE

http://electronics.forumsee.com/a/m/s/p12-30447-0121285--optoma-hd131xe-first-run.html

http://www.zimbio.com/Lennox/articles/VRu1313yaaG/Optoma+HD131Xe+HD+1080p+2500+ANSI+Lumens+3D
Kreationz likes this.
augiedoggy is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 11-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Newbie
 
fullygeneric001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Just to put my two cents in.  Optoma says that this is a problem that is effecting 1%  of their projectors.  They also say that they pulled out and tested 100 units and only 3 had the problem. (Ummm, moving on.)

 

I myself am on Unit 7 and 8.  I must have crazy ass bad luck because units 7&8 has the same bloody problem only slightly less.  I think they are hoping that people are going to use this unit only for movies and as such won't notice the mild discrepancy that appears on some units.  I have noticed a range of issues with this lens.  One machine I had received was night and day worse than all of the others.  I'm not sure how well that they are testing these units but if they are not displaying text on the screen and aren't using the ability to focus individual pixels then they are not trying hard enough.

 

Originally I thought it was a mild curvature of the lens issue but when I take a closer look there are also more subtle variations in focus quality across the whole image.  Since I am using a solid surface this should not happen.  This is my third model of Optoma projector and my 6th projector not including all of these defects.  Never have I seen this problem before.  I currently still have an Optoma HD7100 that I have set up and find no issue from the same install location and a Mitsubshi HC 4000 again no issue.

 

This is not a minor issue.  There is no way that a variant of 3% (yes Optoma, 3 out of a hundred is 3%) has landed me 8 machines with issue's. Especially when 4 were shipped directly from the manufacturer.

 

Apparently they have replacement lenses.  Apparently they thought their stock was fixed so the shipped new ones again.  I am now over 2 months without the projector I bought.

 

Unacceptable.

fullygeneric001 is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 12-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Newbie
 
Jonny Biggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I got my HD25e focus issues fixed by Optoma and now it works great. the image is really sharp. But it now has another fault since I got it back from them. On fast moving scenes the image shakes, it struggles with any motion. The credits at the end of a movie shake and are unreadable. I have tried using different Blu Ray players, HDMI cables etc to see if it was something else but the problem still occurs.  

 

I sent it back to Optoma again and they said they couldn't detect the problem so I am unsure what to do now.

Jonny Biggs is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Newbie
 
cswann821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I just setup my HD25e and am having the issue described in this thread. Top left, bottom right corners not focussing with the rest of the picture.

What's your advise on my two options?
1) Return it to Visual Apex, and get the
HD25-LV.

2) RMA it to Optoma for repair.

I feel like returning it to visual apex may be the quickest route to getting a working projector . I was going to get the LV initially but had decided to go with the "E" in fear that the LV would be to bright.

Has anyone had issues I should be aware of if I go with the LV???

For the most part... How quick is optimas repair / furn around?

Other than this , I was loving the projector for the short amount of calibration time I had on it.
cswann821 is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Newbie
 
postboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I have a hd25lv since 1month and have the same optical focus issue on my projector. i can either choose bottom right focus or upper left focus. this becomes very clear when playing "killzone shadow marshall" at the PS4. text in the chapter choosing menu is in either corner so that gives it away. at the moment i'm somewhere in between but i think i experience some eye strain looking at the screen for a while. (or maybe because the screen is to big and sit to close? 100" diagonal at 4mtr(16") sitting distance) is that even possible to have aye strain due to bad focused image?

 

I also experienced the vertical line issue in the beginning turning the zoom.

 

Looks to me that profit/pricing on this projector was more important to optoma then delivering A quality. but  if you might be looking at these forums optoma, price is forgotten but poor quality is remembered. so better less profit and making sure a customer returns.

 

for info: my projector is ceiling mounted.

 

Can some people let know if sending the unit back in due to this optics problem has solved it?

postboy is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 AM
Newbie
 
postboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I think this projector is up for a trip to the servicedepartement, just put in a service request at optoms. After adjusting the zoom/focus my screen went bad again and even worse instead of spaced vertical black lines i had also horizontal lines and bars. I've read that the vertical spaces come from a bad DLP board to motherboard connection but the horizontal bars/lines i've never read about. great chances that these are also from the bad connection. alot of designer issues sum up:

- known bad DLP to motherboard connection

- known bad optics

 

well the bad thing is that the projector has to go to the shop, the good thing is that they can all sort these problems out in 1 go. See what happens, i'll keep posting about this good projector with design issues. kinda a like an alfa romeo, it's all there but the engineering departemnt just didn't do it right so you get stuck with a performance car that nobody wants to buy because people want a reliable performance car.

postboy is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 01-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Member
 
jamnperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just got my HD25 (not e version) back. Although i didn't think mine was too bad, I'm glad I sent it in. It has perfect focus now. I also noticed there isn't as much play in the focus ring, meaning more precise control. In the interim, I borrowed a HD25e that didn't have the focus problem and was a newer production date. So that option does exist at least from BB.
jamnperry is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off