First time buyer - Buy budget now, or save up for a few months for something nicer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys, first time poster here, been lurking for my AV needs for years.

I'm going to put together a home theater.  Been reading through the threads and various expert sites.  I understand a lot about what my room can handle and setting everything up.  I could easily go out and pick up a W1070 or hd131xe right now.  Or, if I was patient, I could probably save up for something a bit more expensive, like a PJ in the W7000 to AE8000 range.  It would probably be 3 months down the road for that.

The one thing I really don't know is how dramatic the difference between these entry level/budge models is and the next tier up, and if a first timer would be better off starting cheaper and then upgrading down the road. 

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If your Upgrade Horizon is a mere ninety days, it would seem that you will quickly experience Buyers Remorse by going cheap now.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

If your Upgrade Horizon is a mere ninety days, it would seem that you will quickly experience Buyers Remorse by going cheap now.

No, upgrade time wouldn't necessarily be 3 months.  I'm just pretty sure I could save up another $900-$1000 in that time if I really wanted to, particularly with Christmas coming.  Everything I've read about the W1070 leads me to believe I would be quite satisfied with it, as I'd be going from an aging 50" rear projection (getting some color distortion that can't be corrected) to a decent 100" home theater.  Which would mean that I could use that other grand for something else (PS4, better screen, etc).  I just don't have a good feel for how dramatic the difference between an entry level model and the next tier is on whether it would be justifiable to wait, or better to jump in right now.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Make sure you buy from a place that will let you return it if you are not happy with the image.. Lots of issues these days with focus uniformity.. once you see it you can not unsee it .. YUCK!
post #5 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If you're going from an RP setup to a large, modern FP setup, that jump alone will dwarf any much smaller differences between the $1K and $2K PJs.

While you're waiting, you might try removing the screen of your RP and cleaning the mirror. Gave me another year or two when I did mine a few years back.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I would get the projector now and then spend the money you can save in the next few months on a nice screen and/or a darbee dablet. The difference between $1000 and $2000 projectors isn't massive by any means and if you plan on gaming the lower cost dlp's are probably a better fit anyway.

Also, make sure you do a diy mask job to cover up the black bars. It really helps make the image look a whole lot nicer. smile.gif
post #7 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Can you tell us the room environment in which the projector will reside?
How many hours a day will it be used?
What kind of content and devices will be connected to it?

post #8 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

@Prime and @Film, thanks for confirming my thoughts about the jump from the $1K to $2K models.  I was leaning towards using the money for other things, but it's always easy to try and talk yourself into the next upgrade. 

My only other reason for considering a higher end unit at this point would be placement.  My wife is concerned about having a pj hanging from the ceiling.  The W1070 would have very limited placement, there would only be two ways to set the room up.  A model with much greater lens shift (vert and horizontal) would allow me a ton more flexibility on ensuring that the room is still aesthetically pleasing for her. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Can you tell us the room environment in which the projector will reside?
How many hours a day will it be used?
What kind of content and devices will be connected to it?

PJ will be in a multipurpose living room, but with good light control.  We own a 113 year old farm house that's been added onto and remodeled several times, the result of which is that the living room ended up with only two tall, narrow windows at one end of it.  The room is 13' 3" x 20'.  The wife and I are recent empty nesters, so no kids will be using it.  Will optimally have a 100 inch screen when all is setup.

Will probably be used about 30-40 hours a week. 

Both my wife and I are big gamers, so gaming would be about 50 percent of the content used on it.  About 40 percent for movies and TV shows.  And 10 percent for sports (Chiefs football and Jayhawks basketball).   I've got a Marantz SR7005 with 5.1 surround.  There's a custom built HTPC for blurays, streaming and PC gaming.  And an Xbox 360 for console games.

Anyone have thoughts on the screen material from Carl's Place?  I had thought to initially start with that and a homemade frame if I bought a W1070 now, then upgrade the screen down the road.  Or is there another, better source for buying material for a DIY screen?

post #9 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
IMO, you'll be more than satisfied with a W1070 from everything I've seen of it. After you get out of the "solid performing" sub $1k projector market, you're mostly talking about small incremental upgrades for those extra few hundred until you start expanding your "next step" horizon out to the $700-800+ steps that bring you to something significantly better.

There's always something "better" out there, but performance at a given price has been relatively stable for a while, with manufacturers just seeming to add on more lumens (primarily in torch mode) and a few little tech features.

Your room doesn't sound like a dedicated front projector room (very dark walls, ceiling, floor etc.), so the benefits you get from going to a unit with a litlte better black levels or contrast would largely be wasted. You'll have pretty significant light reflection with light walls, so you might as well accept it and go with something that offers a decent lumen count to fight that.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

Your room doesn't sound like a dedicated front projector room (very dark walls, ceiling, floor etc.), so the benefits you get from going to a unit with a litlte better black levels or contrast would largely be wasted. You'll have pretty significant light reflection with light walls, so you might as well accept it and go with something that offers a decent lumen count to fight that.

Thanks for your thoughts.  You are are right about the ceiling/walls.  The ceiling will be staying white, floor is a medium dark hardwood.  The walls are currently white, but when I started talking to the wife about this, she actually said that she would like to re-paint that room anyways.  It still won't be super dark, but it will be a darker color than it is now.  So I think first step is going to be us repainting, then get whatever equipment that I want.  Which we don't take long with projects like painting.  Might be as early as this weekend that gets knocked out. 

post #11 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My in-laws have a JVC HD-1 which has great black levels, but 99% of the time I'm over there and we're watching something on the projector they have a bunch of sconces on at about 15-20W (incandescent equivalent). So it completely kills the black levels and really bothers me that we're wasting this awesome high contrast image by throwing a bunch of ambient light on the screen.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that notices though, so I just keep quiet and keep the peace. smile.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - W7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page