Is Something Wrong with My W1070's White and Black Levels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
When I tried to calibrate my w1070 with the Disney WOW disc I noticed that it would not properly display the contrast (white level) and brightness (black level) test patterns. There were test bars that were supposed to be visible for each pattern but no matter where I set my black and white levels, most of the bars would not be visible, even though they were supposed to be.

I still like the image this projector throws and so I hoped it was just an issue with the test patterns themselves.

But I just got the Spears and Munsil calibration disc and I'm seeing the exact same thing ... Serious white and black crush, no matter what settings I choose.

What does this mean? Is there something wrong with my projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

When I tried to calibrate my w1070 with the Disney WOW disc I noticed that it would not properly display the contrast (white level) and brightness (black level) test patterns. There were test bars that were supposed to be visible for each pattern but no matter where I set my black and white levels, most of the bars would not be visible, even though they were supposed to be.

I still like the image this projector throws and so I hoped it was just an issue with the test patterns themselves.

But I just got the Spears and Munsil calibration disc and I'm seeing the exact same thing ... Serious white and black crush, no matter what settings I choose.

Could you run through all the settings your projector is set at.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
post #4 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 12:21 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Chech hdmi setting should be on pc setting. Also on my w7000.blueray player must be outputting rgb colorspace to do wtw or btb
post #5 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

Chech hdmi setting should be on pc setting. Also on my w7000.blueray player must be outputting rgb colorspace to do wtw or btb

Actually if you plan on send the output of a STB or anything else, you will need to have them all set to RGB. Most folks use 4:2:2 as some displays do not do RGB correctly and some devices will not output RGB. For more info on the difference and what to use do a search for Color Space in the calibration forum and look for posts by Doug Blackburn as he explains it very well...

This thread has to do with a TV but the same sort of problem and it will help explain why you are having issues.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1495362/why-wont-my-blu-ray-player-display-black-correctly/0_100#post_23852756
post #6 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Actually if you plan on send the output of a STB or anything else, you will need to have them all set to RGB. Most folks use 4:2:2 as some displays do not do RGB correctly and some devices will not output RGB. For more info on the difference and what to use do a search for Color Space in the calibration forum and look for posts by Doug Blackburn as he explains it very well...

This thread has to do with a TV but the same sort of problem and it will help explain why you are having issues.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1495362/why-wont-my-blu-ray-player-display-black-correctly/0_100#post_23852756
I use lumagene 3d mini to convert to rgb to send to w7000
post #7 of 11 Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you all for weighing in!

@FilmReverie

I tried to include what I see as the relevant settings below ... Let me know if there are other specific settings you think I should list.

@airscapes

Thanks for the link! The key post in that first thread seems to be:

In the menus for the BenQ W1070 there is an HDMI setting you need to change to allow WTW and BTB content to pass. I can't recall the name of it off-hand,but if you search for it and change it, then you'll see the bars. I believe it's on Auto by default.

Unfortunately there is no HDMI setting that I can find on my projector that does anything of the sort, apart from the "HDMI Format" settings listed below, which change nothing that I can see.

@kwk

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried those but they didn't make any difference .....

In case I haven't explained it clearly, I took some screenshots to illustrate the problem. This is how the pattern is supposed to look. All the bars are clearly visible.

This is what I actually see with my projector. Only the first three or four bars are (barely) visible and the rest are completely washed out.

Strangely, when I go to my Oppo's setup screen, which is a transparent overlay, I can suddenly see all the bars from the calibration screen beneath it perfectly ...?

[

Here are all the settings I've tried so far:

Under "HDMI Format" in my projector's menu:
Switched from "PC signal" to "Video Signal" to "Auto."

Made no difference.

Under "HDMI Options Color Space" in my Oppo blu-ray player's menu:
Switched from "RGB Video Level" to "RGB PC Level" to "YCbCr 4:4:4:" to "YCbCr 4:2:2:"

Made no difference.

Any other settings you think I should try? Those seem to be the only ones directly related to this issue that I can see. I have of course tried "contrast" and "brightness" settings as well, but no matter what I do, only the first three or four bars are visible. It is almost as if the "contrast" setting is disabled. When I'm actually watching a movie, I can adjust contrast and clearly see the changes that are being made, so I'm not sure if the crushed white levels I'm seeing with the calibration screen are actually affecting the overall image quality ... ?

By the way, there are no "whiter than white" or "blacker than black" style settings for either my oppo player or the w1070. The w1070 does have "Black IRE 0" option but it is grayed out and I can't use it under any setting ...

Here is another thread from someone experiencing a somewhat similar issue ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463374/benq-w1070-clipping-black-white-and-color-levels

Anything else I should try? Ideas as to what this might mean?
post #8 of 11 Old 11-01-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Try matching them, project RGB PC and BR RGB video, if no then RGB PC. note make sure you attempt to adjust brightness and then contrast with each setting.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Thank you all for weighing in!

@FilmReverie

I tried to include what I see as the relevant settings below ... Let me know if there are other specific settings you think I should list.

@airscapes

Thanks for the link! The key post in that first thread seems to be:

In the menus for the BenQ W1070 there is an HDMI setting you need to change to allow WTW and BTB content to pass. I can't recall the name of it off-hand,but if you search for it and change it, then you'll see the bars. I believe it's on Auto by default.

Unfortunately there is no HDMI setting that I can find on my projector that does anything of the sort, apart from the "HDMI Format" settings listed below, which change nothing that I can see.

@kwk

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried those but they didn't make any difference .....

In case I haven't explained it clearly, I took some screenshots to illustrate the problem. This is how the pattern is supposed to look. All the bars are clearly visible.

This is what I actually see with my projector. Only the first three or four bars are (barely) visible and the rest are completely washed out.

Strangely, when I go to my Oppo's setup screen, which is a transparent overlay, I can suddenly see all the bars from the calibration screen beneath it perfectly ...?

[

Here are all the settings I've tried so far:

Under "HDMI Format" in my projector's menu:
Switched from "PC signal" to "Video Signal" to "Auto."

Made no difference.

Under "HDMI Options Color Space" in my Oppo blu-ray player's menu:
Switched from "RGB Video Level" to "RGB PC Level" to "YCbCr 4:4:4:" to "YCbCr 4:2:2:"

Made no difference.

Any other settings you think I should try? Those seem to be the only ones directly related to this issue that I can see. I have of course tried "contrast" and "brightness" settings as well, but no matter what I do, only the first three or four bars are visible. It is almost as if the "contrast" setting is disabled. When I'm actually watching a movie, I can adjust contrast and clearly see the changes that are being made, so I'm not sure if the crushed white levels I'm seeing with the calibration screen are actually affecting the overall image quality ... ?

By the way, there are no "whiter than white" or "blacker than black" style settings for either my oppo player or the w1070. The w1070 does have "Black IRE 0" option but it is grayed out and I can't use it under any setting ...

Here is another thread from someone experiencing a somewhat similar issue ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463374/benq-w1070-clipping-black-white-and-color-levels

Anything else I should try? Ideas as to what this might mean?
Have you tried hdmi. Pc level then on opposelect rgb pc level at same time
post #10 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Try matching them, project RGB PC and BR RGB video, if no then RGB PC. note make sure you attempt to adjust brightness and then contrast with each setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post

Have you tried hdmi. Pc level then on opposelect rgb pc level at same time

Tried both of those combinations and still couldn't get the numbered bars to show up. I can see the first three or four but no more than that ...
post #11 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Post this question on w1070 forum see if any one with this projector can confirm this projector will do wtw and btb if they can my be time to give benq a call
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page