Are most new projectors still noisy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm curious if most of the new projectors are still noisy and need a hushbox?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlongisland View Post

I'm curious if most of the new projectors are still noisy and need a hushbox?

I had a Mitsubish HC3000 made 2005/6 very quiet on eco sat 3 ft from me no noise. Had a New Sharp Z30000 louder on Eco than the Mitsubishi or my current projector and really loud on standard lamp and 3D (Jet plane). Currently have a Planar PD8150 2008-2010, sits 2 ft behind my head, can only hear it with audio turned off on eco mode..little louder on std lamp but I do not need to use std lamp. These were all DLP but I have read that some LCD units are really loud. I think this is an area where manufactures save money. Rather than building the unit with multiple silent fans, they use bigger or faster more noise units. Case design maters as it seems to me that bigger the case the deeper and more noticeable the sound. The Z30K had a noticeable "big plastic can" echo resonance to the sound . They are all different and it depends on the design. I would say if you are careful in your choice you should not need a hush box.
Check projector central for sound specs on a particular model.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Are there many places making hushboxes? Is there a need for someone that builds them?
post #4 of 11 Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Define "noisy" and how old are you?
post #5 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Define "noisy" and how old are you?

Noisy; loud enough to have a hushbox

How old am I? That's an odd question. Why do you ask?
post #6 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

My new Epson PC 4030 is noticeably quieter than my 2006 Optoma H76, and it's directly over the couch hanging from an 8' ceiling. Both running in eco mode. The Optoma changed fan speeds quite a bit, but the Epson doesn't seem to nearly as much, and when it does, it's more gradual and quieter overall.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Noisy; loud enough to have a hushbox

How old am I? That's an odd question. Why do you ask?

First answer is very vague. I've had projectors louder than a vaccum.

Second question is very relevant. If you are over 60 it's very unlikely you will notice the noise of a modern projector. It's simple anatomy. Wait till the earbud wearing millennials hit 60, they will be lucky to notice a siren.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your answers. And Verge2, now I understand your question about age. Makes perfect sense now.

The reason I'm asking is because I have the resources to make hushboxes. I'm just trying to gauge if there is a market for a $350 ready to go out of the box hushboxes, with internal fans, foam dampening, upper and lower baffles, automated fan controllers, non reflective glass, and universal setup options (for left or right lenses).
post #9 of 11 Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Liked: 31
Since you're asking in the under $3k forum, you might have the wrong market targeted.

I'm not sure there is a market, but really, If you're selling for $350, build up a prototype and offer it. Do some measurements on dB levels before and after. Try to create he market. a couple hundred bucks is a small investment to test the market for a new biz. How good of a story can you tell> What's your value proposition? What's your target market? Act on the idea - make it happen. Worst you will do is confirm there is no market, but if it's well made you'll at east break even on your test.

Can you include an IR repeater? Have something that makes the 3D sync rock solid? Maybe a dual box/mount for those crazies that have a JVC and DLP for the best of both worlds? OK, the more I type, the more you might be able to create a market. If the market existed and was evident, it would be filled. Get crackin' - make the market.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-11-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for your answers. And Verge2, now I understand your question about age. Makes perfect sense now.

The reason I'm asking is because I have the resources to make hushboxes. I'm just trying to gauge if there is a market for a $350 ready to go out of the box hushboxes, with internal fans, foam dampening, upper and lower baffles, automated fan controllers, non reflective glass, and universal setup options (for left or right lenses).

Maybe in the crt days. Not sure how you can build a hush box with fans that are any quieter than the fans in a projector. You'd have to pipe air out the roof.

If I think of my old NEC crt projector I'd scale it like below.

10 - shop vac

6 NEC pg xtra

1 my sony. It's almost silent.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Maybe in the crt days. Not sure how you can build a hush box with fans that are any quieter than the fans in a projector. You'd have to pipe air out the roof.

If I think of my old NEC crt projector I'd scale it like below.

10 - shop vac

6 NEC pg xtra

1 my sony. It's almost silent.

Yeah, pretty much like that! My Epson 8700 is also damn near silent. I can only hear it with the sound off. Amazing just HOW quiet it actually IS compared to projectors from just 3-5 years ago.
My NEC PG10 (Runco990) was a NOISY beast, even with fan mods. I don't miss it.

I'm 49 now with still good hearing, but I put money on it that it would have bothered me in my teens to early 20's. Very high pitched sounds came in a lot clearer back then.

I do wonder if a hushbox would be able to vent out enough air to keep that supernova of a lamp cool in a modern Digital and STILL be quiet.

Welcome to the darkside.....
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3000u High Definition 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page