Best Low input lag Projector for PS4 gaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
The_Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been considering getting a projector for my theater room for my PS4 and started doing a bit of research.
Ive always been interested in going with a projector in the past but decided against it because input lag was always a huge issue.

So here is what I am looking for:
$3,000 budget
Projector for Gaming (Low input lag) I definitely play FPS games.
3D isn't a huge deal for me.
I want 1080p
Theater room has no windows and is pitch black

Does such a projector exist?
The_Chef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Member
 
brand2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
--Gaming Awards--
Best 3D Gaming Projector under $2000 = Benq w7000

Best 1080p for 3D Gaming and Multi-Use Projector under $1000: Benq w1070, Optoma hd131xe

Best Low Cost 1080p Projector for Ambient Light under $1000 = Viewsonic pj7820hd

Best NON-3D Gaming Projector with 1080p under $1500 = Mitsubishi hc3800 DLP or hc4000 DLP
Runner Up: Panasonic pt-ar100u (not as good blacks), Epson 8350 (better placement flexibility, but not quite as sharp)

Best NON-3D Gaming Projector with 1080p under $800 = Viewsonic Pro8200 DLP
Runner Up: Optoma hd20

Projector with the absolute least lag times for gaming = Optoma hd131xe / hd25e / hd25-lv, Optoma gt750 (720p only), Epson 8350, Viewsonic Pro8200

Runner Ups: Sony hw30/50, Panasonic 7000/8000, Optoma hd33, Optoma hd20, and Mitsubishi hc3800/hc4000, Benq w1070


http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks
brand2 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 10-31-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
The_Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These look like great options.
Thanks so much!
The_Chef is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 10-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Member
 
writtensarcasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brand2 View Post

--Gaming Awards--
Best 3D Gaming Projector under $2000 = Benq w7000

Best 1080p for 3D Gaming and Multi-Use Projector under $1000: Benq w1070, Optoma hd131xe

Best Low Cost 1080p Projector for Ambient Light under $1000 = Viewsonic pj7820hd

Best NON-3D Gaming Projector with 1080p under $1500 = Mitsubishi hc3800 DLP or hc4000 DLP
Runner Up: Panasonic pt-ar100u (not as good blacks), Epson 8350 (better placement flexibility, but not quite as sharp)

Best NON-3D Gaming Projector with 1080p under $800 = Viewsonic Pro8200 DLP
Runner Up: Optoma hd20

Projector with the absolute least lag times for gaming = Optoma hd131xe / hd25e / hd25-lv, Optoma gt750 (720p only), Epson 8350, Viewsonic Pro8200

Runner Ups: Sony hw30/50, Panasonic 7000/8000, Optoma hd33, Optoma hd20, and Mitsubishi hc3800/hc4000, Benq w1070



http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks

This is great. I just purchased a Epson 8350 the other day and I've been thrilled with it. I returned a much more expensive TV and purchased the 8350 instead. Now I've been wondering whether there is a better projector choice for a slightly higher price range. (2000 or less). 

I really like how bright the 8350 is even with the lights on and I use the lens shift to lower the picture vertically. I also like how it has low input lag. How does the BenQ w7000 compare? 

writtensarcasm is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 10-31-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
42Plasmaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just make sure the place you purchase from has a decent return policy.
Games have fast action that require a lot of eye movement = high probability of Rainbow Effect (RBE) on a DLP projector.

2014
42Plasmaman is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
The_Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, after looking through the projectors I ordered the Sony HW50. A bit over my budget but it just looks amazing.
The_Chef is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Member
 
terrible_buddhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That was my choice too...AVS had some B stock that fit the bill perfectly.
terrible_buddhis is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
jmalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had the W7000, HW30, HW50, W1070, and a W1080 and highly recommend the W1070 over the 7000 as a gaming/TV projector just for the low cost of the unit, bulb prices, and how good it looks out of the box.

If the unit will be used for movies and other uses I'd then step up to the Sony. I currently have the W1080 in my pc/game room and it has been fantastic for all types of games - FPS, fighters, sports, etc.
jmalto is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 11-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Member
 
Kreationz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I personally went with the Optoma HD25-LV. I have a large screen (135") and some ambient light at times and so far I'm very happy with the decision. Lag times were one of my deciding factors. I also wanted 3D as well. Between lighting issues, screen size, and 3D, I needed a light cannon. Most of the ones listed here were considerations at one point and dropped from my list for one reason or another.

Kreationz is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chef View Post

Well, after looking through the projectors I ordered the Sony HW50. A bit over my budget but it just looks amazing.

Good choice, the sony Gods are appeased.

I don't dare hookup my 360 to my sony projector, it might explode.
Verge2 is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 11-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
vidkidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The only choices for LOW input lag is the BenQ W1700 or the W1080ST coming in around 1.5ms. While the Epson 2030 can achieve a similar timing, there is a noticeable drop in resolution when using Fast Image Processing. BenQ's optics are also a class above the 2030's entry level performance that struggles to bring a high resolution image into focus across the screen.
vidkidd is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Newbie
 
kiltedmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For "gaming" ... the Optoma PJ's have a history of LOW input lag, as measured by latency against a CRT/monitor with camera taking pics. Typically the Optoma HD33 thru now HD131XE (HD25E-LV) - all considered to be the same with slight diff in lumen output(s) - are all reported to have at or near 17ms lag. Which is GREAT. Typically the Benq has near that 17ms, to the current measurement of 24ms of the W1070 (W1080ST). For LAG alone go Optoma 25-LV, if light cannon is what you need, 25E for controlled viewing at a reasonable distance...and then the 131XE for all-around budget KILLER PJ. Its (131XE) cheaper and has SAME everything as 25e-LV, just a different case. Same bulbe, lense, just dif firmware... but if light is an issue, or PJ placement is a issue, then the Optoma isn't for you, as it is very STIFF and cannot do much in lens shift....nor calibration...but out-of-the-box, the Optoma is WAY better, as you can retrofit it with RF glasses and get IMPROVED 3D quality by using RF glasses vs BenQ being stuck with DLP...so it'll improve the quality over that as well...I would rate them benq w1070 (1080) > Optoma 131XE (25e) for pure lag needs. Then opposite that for uncontrollable conditions like ambient light and placement.
Kreationz likes this.
kiltedmile is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 11-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
vidkidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedmile View Post

For "gaming" ... the Optoma PJ's have a history of LOW input lag, as measured by latency against a CRT/monitor with camera taking pics. Typically the Optoma HD33 thru now HD131XE (HD25E-LV) - all considered to be the same with slight diff in lumen output(s) - are all reported to have at or near 17ms lag. Which is GREAT. Typically the Benq has near that 17ms, to the current measurement of 24ms of the W1070 (W1080ST). For LAG alone go Optoma 25-LV, if light cannon is what you need, 25E for controlled viewing at a reasonable distance...and then the 131XE for all-around budget KILLER PJ. Its (131XE) cheaper and has SAME everything as 25e-LV, just a different case. Same bulbe, lense, just dif firmware... but if light is an issue, or PJ placement is a issue, then the Optoma isn't for you, as it is very STIFF and cannot do much in lens shift....nor calibration...but out-of-the-box, the Optoma is WAY better, as you can retrofit it with RF glasses and get IMPROVED 3D quality by using RF glasses vs BenQ being stuck with DLP...so it'll improve the quality over that as well...I would rate them benq w1070 (1080) > Optoma 131XE (25e) for pure lag needs. Then opposite that for uncontrollable conditions like ambient light and placement.
Great write up and logic behind my purchase of the 1080ST. Unfortunately, a mid-room placement of a duct drop down precluded my ability to jump into an Optima or the W1070. All great choices for low lag times.
vidkidd is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Member
 
Kreationz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Personally, I went with an Optoma HD25-LV. I needed a light cannon. Excellent write-up overall.

Kreationz is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Newbie
 
kiltedmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
have you gamed on it? and what about screen; paint, pvc, canvas....what gain? do you notice a need for lower gain to help with contrast or no?
kiltedmile is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 01-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Member
 
3DMamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a HD33. For gaming, its terrible, please don't make the mistake thinking its as fast for games as the new generation of optoms. HD131x, HD25,HD25e, which have been tested officially and are excellent gaming projectors.

Benq W1070 is also excellent for gaming in both 2D and 3D, however the 3D effect is not very strong compared to the HD33 & Sony HW50es.

The Sony HW50es is also superb for gaming. But the 3D has a xtalk others may not mind , but I always find it very distracting.
3DMamper is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 01-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Mikeclough24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am leaning towards the epson 3020. Is the input lag on it ok for fast paced fps?

Mike Clough #24
Mikeclough24 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 01-24-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 2,832
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeclough24 View Post

I am leaning towards the epson 3020. Is the input lag on it ok for fast paced fps?
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-home-cinema-3020-special-features/#hc3020-lag-times-gamers-rejoice

For your reading and own decision making. Always look at the reviews on Projector Reviews if they are there as they typically test input lag times.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 05:17 AM
Member
 
Ziming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post

I have a HD33. For gaming, its terrible, please don't make the mistake thinking its as fast for games as the new generation of optoms. HD131x, HD25,HD25e, which have been tested officially and are excellent gaming projectors.

Benq W1070 is also excellent for gaming in both 2D and 3D, however the 3D effect is not very strong compared to the HD33 & Sony HW50es.

Do any of these support "LightBoost" or true 120hz that helps reduce motion blur? Like the Optoma GT models below.

http://www.blurbusters.com/gigantic-120hz-picture-via-optoma-gt720-dlp-projector/
Ziming is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 01-26-2014, 06:27 AM
Member
 
3DMamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ive also had a Optoma GT gaming projector and compared to all my other projectors... Yes its brighter... But imho the image quality (blacks & contrast) is awful. My thinking is whats the point of playing a Xbox360 or PS4 when they have such great graphics on a compromised display.
3DMamper is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Mitsubishi Hc3800 1080p Home Theater Dlp Projector , Viewsonic Pro8200 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off