Panasonic PT-AE2000U - To Repair of Replace - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Greetings Wise AVS-ers,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I have been the happy owner of a Panasonic PT-AE2000U for 5 years. It has served me quite well and I would imagine that I have close to 10,000 hours on it as of this writing. Up until very recently the only issue I had was a bad blue polarizer which was replaced under warranty. Unfortunately, two weeks ago I heard a loud zap during startup followed immediately by the lovely smell of burning plastic. During the large startup surge an arc formed inside the connector that attaches the lamp housing to the leads that run off to the power supply B-Module. I am no expert by any stretch but from some researching I believe the B-Module is the projector's electrical ballast (http://www.encompassparts.com/item/7691811/Panasonic/TXANP03VKF5/Pc_Board).This fusing seemed to be unnoticed by the projector, as the status led showed green for normal operation when I ran over to turn the projector off; both the lamp and temp status lights also indicated no issues. I had to dissemble the lamp and its housing in order to find the fused connector, at which point I started assessing the damage.

As it stands, the only part that seems like it MUST be replaced is the connector that burned up. That being said, it seems unlikely that no other damage was caused in the time it took me to smell the burning plastic and get the projector completely powered down. I talked to a couple electronics repair shops in town, and both were unsure whether the cost of repair would be worth it for a 5 year old projector. I know that the blue polarizer will likely start to go again in the next couple years (based on the original repair tech's information), and I also received anecdotal information from one repair shop that the 5 year point is where he would start expecting issues with LCD projectors.

All this leads to 2 questions:

1) Should I call my trusty PT-AE2000U a loss and replace it with a comparable projector? I am technically proficient to an extent but I feel like this repair is beyond my skills unless replacing the B-Module is all that is required. Even then it is a $265 part before shipping is considered. I have read good things online about the Epson Home Cinema 8350 ($1300).

2) If I purchase a new projector, I would love to connect my damaged PT-AE2000U with someone who could source parts from it. Is there anyone in this forum who would be interested? If not, is there a good place for me to offer up the carcass? I would think many of the remaining parts are usable.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and ideas!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown1124 View Post

Greetings Wise AVS-ers,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I have been the happy owner of a Panasonic PT-AE2000U for 5 years. It has served me quite well and I would imagine that I have close to 10,000 hours on it as of this writing. Up until very recently the only issue I had was a bad blue polarizer which was replaced under warranty. Unfortunately, two weeks ago I heard a loud zap during startup followed immediately by the lovely smell of burning plastic. During the large startup surge an arc formed inside the connector that attaches the lamp housing to the leads that run off to the power supply B-Module. I am no expert by any stretch but from some researching I believe the B-Module is the projector's electrical ballast (http://www.encompassparts.com/item/7691811/Panasonic/TXANP03VKF5/Pc_Board).This fusing seemed to be unnoticed by the projector, as the status led showed green for normal operation when I ran over to turn the projector off; both the lamp and temp status lights also indicated no issues. I had to dissemble the lamp and its housing in order to find the fused connector, at which point I started assessing the damage.

As it stands, the only part that seems like it MUST be replaced is the connector that burned up. That being said, it seems unlikely that no other damage was caused in the time it took me to smell the burning plastic and get the projector completely powered down. I talked to a couple electronics repair shops in town, and both were unsure whether the cost of repair would be worth it for a 5 year old projector. I know that the blue polarizer will likely start to go again in the next couple years (based on the original repair tech's information), and I also received anecdotal information from one repair shop that the 5 year point is where he would start expecting issues with LCD projectors.

All this leads to 2 questions:

1) Should I call my trusty PT-AE2000U a loss and replace it with a comparable projector? I am technically proficient to an extent but I feel like this repair is beyond my skills unless replacing the B-Module is all that is required. Even then it is a $265 part before shipping is considered. I have read good things online about the Epson Home Cinema 8350 ($1300).

2) If I purchase a new projector, I would love to connect my damaged PT-AE2000U with someone who could source parts from it. Is there anyone in this forum who would be interested? If not, is there a good place for me to offer up the carcass? I would think many of the remaining parts are usable.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and ideas!

With a part meltdown in your projector there is no way for the average Joe to really know if there isn't some other electronic damage. This is a personal call on your part, how lucky do you feel? Would I trust this projector not to have other unknown problems? No, but as I said it's a personal call. The AE2000 projector was Projector Central's Editor's Choice when introduced but is 6 year old tech now.

You can post your damaged projector on eBay and I'm sure someone will snap it up for parts especially if the only cost to them is the shipping charge.

The Epson 8350 is a decent projector but it has had its share of problems. Not to dissuade you just common knowledge. It's 3 year old technology and has been followed by other more recent projectors from Epson.

Good luck on your decision.
motown1124 likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 11-05-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, Mr. G. It is greatly appreciated! Since I never seem to be able to rely on luck, I'm thinking at this point I'll go with the 8350 (knowing I get a 2 year warranty to cover any issues) and then find a nice scavenger on eBay for my Pany. 

Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Wow, this is exactly what happened to mine and I found your post while searching for a solution. I have the same dilemma - fix or replace. I was looking on ebay for parts in hopes of fixing mine, though it'd just be hit or miss as to which part exactly. Now, I'm wondering if I should just sell mine for parts, though it'd break my heart. How did you sell yours - as a whole or piece by piece? And how did you determine price?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't know the particulars of your connection but If you are handy you might try to bypass the quick connectors and do a directly crimped to the wire male to female barrel connection where the original connectors went. ,,, This way you can still use your current lamp and replace the lamp in the future.- TAKE care when stripping the wires they are very dainty and Make SURE you use the insulated barrel connections so you don't have any open leads that could short out. There is VERY High Voltage coming out of the Ballast to the Lamp so take care that the unit is UNPLUGGED when you are working on it - Bohanna.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 PM

I've got the exact same problem.  The direct connection idea that Bohanna suggests seems like the way to go - especially if it's prolonging the life of my old projector.  Problem is, I don't know what a 'barrel connector' is or how that would work.  Once both sets of wires are stripped is it essentially a process where you'd overlap them in a connector and crimp the two together?  Can point me in the right direction with a pic or URL to show how this would be accomplished?  Thanks for the suggestion.

Old Today, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I'm borrowing this old thread that is related to my question: My Panasonic PT-AE2000 started acting really weird just now. I get no image at all when I start up the projector. The power led is green for a few seconds, then it turns orange and the lamp LED starts blinking red (according to manual this is suggesting there is something wrong with the lamp). I can also hear a weird buzzing sound (kinda like how a grasshopper sounds) from inside he projector that lasts for a couple of seconds and repeats like every 10 seconds.

However, and this is the weird part, I can get the projector work normally by unplugging the lamp module and putting it back.

The lamp runtime is at approximately 1600 hours, so it should be good for at least another 1000 hours.

What could explain this kind of behavior? As I said, I doubt the lamp module itself is the problem, as the projector image is flawless and the projector stays on for hours. Its just that every time I turn it off, I have to unplug the lamp module and put it back again in order to get the lamp working again.

Help would be appreciated!
Old Today, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaxel View Post
Hello,

I'm borrowing this old thread that is related to my question: My Panasonic PT-AE2000 started acting really weird just now. I get no image at all when I start up the projector. The power led is green for a few seconds, then it turns orange and the lamp LED starts blinking red (according to manual this is suggesting there is something wrong with the lamp). I can also hear a weird buzzing sound (kinda like how a grasshopper sounds) from inside he projector that lasts for a couple of seconds and repeats like every 10 seconds.

However, and this is the weird part, I can get the projector work normally by unplugging the lamp module and putting it back.

The lamp runtime is at approximately 1600 hours, so it should be good for at least another 1000 hours.

What could explain this kind of behavior? As I said, I doubt the lamp module itself is the problem, as the projector image is flawless and the projector stays on for hours. Its just that every time I turn it off, I have to unplug the lamp module and put it back again in order to get the lamp working again.

Help would be appreciated!
Just to be clear, you bought this new in 2007? Have used it only 1600 hours in 7 years?

Have you tried reseting the lamp counter?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350