Advice - to upgrade or not! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello!

I currently have an ACER H5360, the bulb for which has reached the end of its lifespan.  I've been trying to replace it without much success (the replacement units I've procured have all been defective in some way - in the last one, the wires connecting the power input to the lamp itself were in entirely the wrong position and made it impossible to fit the unit into its housing!)

I gather this is because the unit was discontinued some time ago.  With that in mind, I was considering whether it was worth upgrading from the H5360?  I was thinking of something like: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BN515ZA/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics

Is there any received wisdom on whether it's better to continue replacing the H5360 lamp modules or is it worthwhile making the switch now?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-04-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 265
The projector is just a few years old and if it is in good working condition, then the price of a replacement projector is entirely up to you. I wouldn't swap a projector because of the lamp, but I certainly don't recommend that you keep buying garbage lamps.

Buy an Acer lamp. It will say Acer on the box, and if you have issues finding one, call Acer directly to get it.

But, this is available on eBay and ships worldwide...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-ACER-Factory-H5360-Lamp-with-Housing-Replacement-Bulb-/221302340041

That's pretty much what you want if you desire quality. The aftermarket for projector lamps is a crime IMO. You have no idea what you are getting, and the number of issues I keep reading about is ridiculous.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the info! I guess I'm also trying to figure out whether the progress in tech. over the last 3 years or so means there is something available which offers a significant quality improvement.

Thanks for the ebay link as well! Though, at £170, it's quite steep at over a third of the price of the projector!  I guess that's the norm for PJ ownership?

post #4 of 4 Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeks View Post

...at £170, it's quite steep at over a third of the price of the projector!  I guess that's the norm for PJ ownership?
This is very much the norm. Epson is one of the few manufacturers who are doing something about it by moving away from Philips/OSRAM who manufacturers most of the lamps in the world of projectors. I'm not sure if they are starting their own company or going elsewhere altogether, but they are coming out with new projectors which use these new lamps and the lamp price is far less than what it traditionally has been. Models like the Epson 2030, which isn't a great projector, but it has a 5,000 hour lamp which only costs $99 to replace with an Epson branded original replacement.

They also have been dealing with huge quality control issues which are outside their control, which have caused customers to complain a great deal.

But, lamp prices for manufacturer original lamps should always be checked prior to any projector purchase as those lamps are the only ones which actually offer any peace of mind in regards to getting a proper replacement lamp, and a typical price of $200 to $350 should be expected.

Of course, with new lamps rated to over 3,000+ hours with many models, it must be taken into consideration what level of improvement you will get. There have been improvements, but not dramatic ones really.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer H5360 3d Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page