Upgrade time. Looking for sub $1500 3D projector. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-06-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am upgrading from a Viewsonic 8100. I want to go 3D.

Can anyone suggest a great 2d with good (bright) 3d projector with a long throw ?

I am throwing onto a 120" screen set 10" from the ceiling.

My current mount is 10" long as well and 17' from the screen (Center of the projector mount)

Any assistance is helpful.

Trying to stay at around $1,500.00.

Before I am told to do a search, I just want to say I have looked at so many threads in this forum that my eyes are dizzy with anticipation.

I just want to make a good educated decision and look to my peers for input.

Any help deeply appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-07-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Okay, doing a search FOR YOU...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=100&p=2000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&sp=35&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=16.5&i=d&is=120&sort=%24&sz=15

Your list of requirements negates the options.

Under $2,000 there are only 6 projectors which can do this, and of these, I would consider the BenQ W7000 as the one which will deliver the best image on screen. It's closer to $1,800 or so online, but I would expect it to do better than the Epson 3020, and a good deal better than the Optoma business projector options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't know it was so hard to ask for input.

I do appreciate your time and showing me a function of projector central that I did not know was there.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I'm just givin' you crap, don't mind me. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, there aren't any projectors which specifically meet your budget, but there are some good options which are there and the BenQ is a real standout at this time.

If you can adjust your mounting location/height then you will have more options open to you.

I will say that at $1,500 you aren't in the realm of 'great'. You are still in the realm of good though, which isn't bad nowadays. Gotta spend a fair bit more for 'really good', and great will drain your bank account.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 04:40 PM

Liked: 14

I also had this $1,500 price level in mind but gave up on it. I went with an Optoma HD131Xe instead (something ridiculous like $710 after Amazon credit). The idea being that it is a gap right now and half the price is just dumb money to fill up a couple years before 4K hits the $2,500 price point. I'm surprisingly happy with my budget choice, and I'd recommend you either you go up or down 30%.

post #6 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

I know I can't go up. Its too much. And like you I think with 4k coming I wanted to place hold with a good piece until that time comes. I'm not sure the hd131Xe can go in my throw range.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 AM

Liked: 14

I think all the DLP's in this +/- $900 range are pretty good, you can't go wrong. I really like my HD131Xe but optically it is a pain in the neck, basically have to cater to exactly where it wants to be. Might have gone with a lens shift PJ if I'd thought it through more. But then again, I only paid $710 so a little DIY was in order! :)

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8100 Full Hd 1080p Home Theater Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread - Pro8100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page