Best $1k projector for the following requirements - AVS Forum
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Best $1k projector for the following requirements
pred02's Avatar pred02 04:33 PM 11-07-2013
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a movie projector that will satisfy the following requirements.

1. There is a limited space where I can place the projector (see picture) which is on top of a wall that is 9 ft tall having an overall throw to a wall that is 16 ft away (see). There is limited other spaces in the room, so I need a projector that has flexibility to adjust the picture to these specs. See the setup here

2. It is not a dedicated theater so there is quiet a lot of light that can potentially get to the room at times.

3. I will be watching movies mostly, 1080p but not really 3D. Strong 3D performance is not a requirement. Also not a gamer.

4. Projector has to be 120-240v AC as I will be using it in Europe (but purchase in the US).

I was looking at BenQ 1070W as potentially the best candidate as it has the lens shift adjustment. Any thoughts?

Thanks

lespurgeon's Avatar lespurgeon 10:45 PM 11-07-2013
Panasonic 100 or Epson 8350 are possible options for lens shift and relatively high output. Epson at least has a lot of throw range as well.

I get an error off of your link - could be me.
pred02's Avatar pred02 04:52 AM 11-08-2013
AV_Integrated's Avatar AV_Integrated 08:03 AM 11-08-2013
Skylights? You have skylights?

Theaters! Go to your local movie theater and count the number of skylights. Then go home, and buy a LCD flat panel.

Seriously, you must control light to at least some extent, and a room with skylights that aren't covered with a projector used in that room simply will deliver the worst possible results.

Also, if you are planning to set the projector on top of that shelf in the back, then you need a projector with serious lens shift. The Epson 8345 or Panasonic AR100, neither of which do 3D, but both of which produce a good and fairly bright image, are good choices.

Neither will compete in any way, shape, or form - with daylight.
pred02's Avatar pred02 03:36 AM 11-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Skylights? You have skylights?

Theaters! Go to your local movie theater and count the number of skylights. Then go home, and buy a LCD flat panel.

Seriously, you must control light to at least some extent, and a room with skylights that aren't covered with a projector used in that room simply will deliver the worst possible results.

Also, if you are planning to set the projector on top of that shelf in the back, then you need a projector with serious lens shift. The Epson 8345 or Panasonic AR100, neither of which do 3D, but both of which produce a good and fairly bright image, are good choices.

Neither will compete in any way, shape, or form - with daylight.

The skylights have covers besides we would be watching the movies at night only. Previous owner has a projector set-up and it worked all right, sorry I am in the UK so small places.
I take that Epson 8345 is probably my best bet then?

Thanks
pred02's Avatar pred02 02:38 PM 11-24-2013
I am taking it to the UK and just realized that the Epson warranty does not work in Europe. Do any brands offer warranty abroad?

Thanks
Tags: Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Panasonic Pt Ar100u Lcd Projector Pt Ar100u
Up
Mobile  Desktop