Help Me Decide on a budget upgrade... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a big believer in the bang for the buck when it comes to TVs/Projectors...

Currently have a Sharp DT510 720. 11' throw, 110". (got it on costco fire sale for cheap years ago)

Looking at these so far (keeping in mind budget king and throw requirements):

1. Optoma HD131xe: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-3D-Home-Theater-Projector/dp/B00E4JEDWE
Pros: Price is fantastic and quality looks solid, 2500 Lumens, $50 Amazon Credit
Cons: The Throw: @11' it maxes at 100" diag...I sit 11' away so maybe not too big of a deal, but a size downgrade none the less

Essentially if I cant get the Optoma to work (because the Pros column is huge, I pick one of these due to short throw abilities):

2. Epson Powerlite 2000: http://www.amazon.com/Epson-V11H562020-PowerLite-Cinema-Projector/dp/B00EU9V3VW
Solid projector, cheaper than the BenQ, Free Roku player.

3. BenQ 1070: http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W1070-1080P-Theater-Projector/dp/B00A2T6X0K#productDetails
As far as I can tell, its a better projector than the Epson, but its a full $150 more than the Epson

Any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Liked: 15
What is the purpose of the upgrade? Are you unhappy with the 720 resolution, or low light output, or did the Sharp die? Or 3d?

As to the options I'm not sure I'd be happy in downgrading in size either. I'm sure options 2 and 3 are both good. If you're upgrading for 3d consider the cost of the glasses which will be a lot cheaper for the DLP based Benq. (edit, maybe the cost doesn't matter as much as I thought looking around at rf compatible glasses)
post #3 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepperb View Post

What is the purpose of the upgrade? Are you unhappy with the 720 resolution, or low light output, or did the Sharp die? Or 3d?

As to the options I'm not sure I'd be happy in downgrading in size either. I'm sure options 2 and 3 are both good. If you're upgrading for 3d consider the cost of the glasses which will be a lot cheaper for the DLP based Benq. (edit, maybe the cost doesn't matter as much as I thought looking around at rf compatible glasses)

sorry, should have mentioned. PS4/XboxOne are >720p now and at this size screen, the resolution will be a noticeable improvement. I am very meh on 3d, but a nice option if i want to pony up for glasses later on and I have a 55" 3D LCD upstairs with glasses already.

As of now, I am leaning BenQ
post #4 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
might want to look into mitsubishi hc7900 at bh photo very competitive price
post #5 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbye05 View Post

might want to look into mitsubishi hc7900 at bh photo very competitive price

that is very competitive. how is the mitsu? reading the product page at mitsu's site, it appears its whole focus is its 3D ability, while things like lumen count suffers.

Is it really a smart choice for someone that may never use the projector for 3D?
post #6 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 11:28 PM

according to reviews at projector central and elsewhere it is a great 2d projector as long as room is light controlled. has some nice features like frame interpolation etc that you wont get on the entry level pjs.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post

that is very competitive. how is the mitsu? reading the product page at mitsu's site, it appears its whole focus is its 3D ability, while things like lumen count suffers.

Is it really a smart choice for someone that may never use the projector for 3D?

If it is designed around 3d then its lumens will not suffer, quite the opposite in fact as a good 3d projector needs to be to bright in 2d without clamping the iris to allow for a bright image in 3d.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 12:45 AM

cade is actually right lumens are lower than the other projectors hes considering but that is because it is meant for a dedicated theater more so than family rooms etc. the contrast is much higher than projectors he was considering. while the 3d was mentioned as great in most of the reveiws it was reccommended not to go above 110 to keep a bright enough image. keep in mind when reading reviews it is being compared to other projectors in the 2500 range when compared to entry level pjs at same price it should be a much better proposition.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 05:45 AM

Liked: 11
I just wonder if the mitsu is as bright as the Sharp. The Sharp has a great iris feature that allows you to switch between day and night viewing on the fly. How it compares to the others in the round up doesn't matter as much as how it compares to the Sharp. I have the same D T-510, and when is time for an upgrade I know I'll need a projector that allows on the fly switching between saved settings, or I likely won't be happy with the upgrade.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 05:51 AM

it is brighter than the sharp and absolutely destroys it in almost every other measurement.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

I agree, the mitsu is a diff tier product than the pjs i mentioned in my first post. However, after reading the Mitsu marketing, which is very 3D heavy, I wanted to make sure its a different tier for reasons I care about. For example, IF it was originally a $2500 PJ due its stellar 3D and so-so other features, its probably not worth it.

My Sharp Dt510 has 1000 lumens, so the Mitsu is still a step up to 1500. I dont have much issue with ambient light other than it might be nice to have a PJ that I can have dim lighting on while watching without losing much performance.

I am torn between the BenQ and the Mitsu (at the sub $1k price). Both seem to meet my needs...

11' Throw,
110" screen,
I need an offset of 17" to use my current 6" mount, or I buy a longer one (no biggy),
both are rated "recommended for rooms with ambient light" given the parameters.

Contrast Ratio of 10,000:1 on the BenQ compared to 150,000:1 on the Mitsu is a bit astounding, but I never know how much those numbers are inflated with marketing nonsense.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post

I agree, the mitsu is a diff tier product than the pjs i mentioned in my first post. However, after reading the Mitsu marketing, which is very 3D heavy, I wanted to make sure its a different tier for reasons I care about. For example, IF it was originally a $2500 PJ due its stellar 3D and so-so other features, its probably not worth it.

My Sharp Dt510 has 1000 lumens, so the Mitsu is still a step up to 1500. I dont have much issue with ambient light other than it might be nice to have a PJ that I can have dim lighting on while watching without losing much performance.

I am torn between the BenQ and the Mitsu (at the sub $1k price). Both seem to meet my needs...

11' Throw,
110" screen,
I need an offset of 17" to use my current 6" mount, or I buy a longer one (no biggy),
both are rated "recommended for rooms with ambient light" given the parameters.

Contrast Ratio of 10,000:1 on the BenQ compared to 150,000:1 on the Mitsu is a bit astounding, but I never know how much those numbers are inflated with marketing nonsense.

I can't really comment on the Mitsubishi but the BenQ doesn't really have a contrast of 100,000, no where near it. I believe it is closer to around 1000:1 which is good for the price it is at. Now this is just speculation but I highly doubt I am wrong, the Mistsubishi will not really have a contrast anywhere near 150,000:1. This are just inflated numbers the projector may be able to do when you push the contrast as high as you can and ruin every other aspect of picture quality (meaning not watchable).

The BenQ is brighter then the Mitsubishi which is something worth considering if you want to be able to have the light on.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

I can't really comment on the Mitsubishi but the BenQ doesn't really have a contrast of 100,000, no where near it. I believe it is closer to around 1000:1 which is good for the price it is at. Now this is just speculation but I highly doubt I am wrong, the Mistsubishi will not really have a contrast anywhere near 150,000:1. This are just inflated numbers the projector may be able to do when you push the contrast as high as you can and ruin every other aspect of picture quality (meaning not watchable).

The BenQ is brighter then the Mitsubishi which is something worth considering if you want to be able to have the light on.

Yea I figured given how big a 150k:1 ratio is, it has to be inflated somewhat, but even if its 25k:1, its still a pretty big advantage. The Sharp I have currently is 4k:1, so either should be an improvement.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 AM

Did you check bulb costs? Aside from that the mitsu sounds best to me, given that everything but brightness is best and it is 50% brighter than what you are used to so it should be plenty. Sharp's $300 bulb drives me a little crazy.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcollns View Post

Did you check bulb costs? Aside from that the mitsu sounds best to me, given that everything but brightness is best and it is 50% brighter than what you are used to so it should be plenty. Sharp's $300 bulb drives me a little crazy.

I didnt, this is my man cave tv and gets a couple hours per week use max. With bulb ratings in the 1000s, they should last the life. My Sharp bulb is quite old and still 70%+ life left.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-13-2013, 02:05 PM

Liked: 31
I came from almost the same projector as you - the DT-500. Left the DLP range, but I'd go with the Mits if you were happy with the brightness of the Sharp. It should be a huge step up.

post #17 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

I came from almost the same projector as you - the DT-500. Left the DLP range, but I'd go with the Mits if you were happy with the brightness of the Sharp. It should be a huge step up.

thanks...good info.

I think i am close to going to for the Mitsu at this point, just worry black friday deals might be good too (but dont want to miss the mitsu for 999)
post #18 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 04:23 PM

Man
I was sold on the Benq 1070 until now

The Mitsubishi has my interest now, it doesn't look like a sale price either, but I'm not sure

You can literally drive yourself crazy trying to decide on your first projector., I think I feel hairs falling out of my head with all the decisions to be made.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber11 View Post

Man
I was sold on the Benq 1070 until now

The Mitsubishi has my interest now, it doesn't look like a sale price either, but I'm not sure

You can literally drive yourself crazy trying to decide on your first projector., I think I feel hairs falling out of my head with all the decisions to be made.

I am certain your mouth will hit the floor with either. Just take you time considering all the options and i'm sure you will be happy (in fact i'm sure you will be happy if you just randomly select one of the two). cool.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Sharp Dt 510 Dlp Projector , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page