New Basement…need help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still fairly new to this forum and I've been reading quite a bit the last 2 nights. I was looking for a TV….then decided I wanted a projector….lag is worrying me though as I play games. So I just figured I would post up ictures of what I have to work with and see what people thought. What Im looking for….

-BIG…I like my screens above average size. I currently watch a 70" TV @ 14' in my living room and its too far…lol.

-Will be used for Football, Blu-ray movies and Xbox1 / PS4

-Current seating is 14' away from the wall…a little room to go back more but not much…maybe 1 foot.

I bought the house last year and this is how the basement was…willing to paint….will have to get some dark curtains for the sliders….what else?

DSC_6878_zps12ae135c.jpg

DSC_6879_zps0a26a690.jpg

DSC_6880_zpse695b57f.jpg

DSC_6881_zpsbf363bc3.jpg

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Liked: 14
Looks like a doable project. Probably if it was me, I would spend maybe a month or two getting the room ready. Curtains, paint, lighting,sound. I know one of the best things I did was to put my projector in the garage behind me and have just the image path cut out of a plexiglass window. Now, my remote works fine if I aim it at the projector, and I get none (I mean zero) of that annoying fan noise that bothers some. At your size room, and depending on your projector, you might end up having to do a ceiling mount in the room. Some guys have built a decorative, ventilated enclosure for their projectors specifically for this noise issue. Once you decide on a projector, and you get a look at its throw chart, I might consider a fan noise abatement feature.

Anyway, with dark enough curtains, it looks as doable as others I've seen. I have no recommendation for a projector though. For an upgrade, I am personally looking for a good DLP 1080p 3d LED. I see a lot of issues with them thus far,
so still waiting. Good luck! Get it done for the Super Bowl.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-12-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

thats a cool idea for the location but behind my couch about 8' is a wall and behind that wall is a bathroom. It will deff have to be ceiling mounted. I will have to search around for some enclosure setups.

Jake
post #4 of 21 Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
An approximate budget for the projector and screen would help.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Looks like you have a starter screen on the wall.

Ceiling mount behind the couch at whatever appropriate throw distance for the projector that you select.

Blackout drapes.

Yeah, projector, ceiling mount, and drapes might be the 3 things to get right first.

What do you have for audio? Any old stereo is a fine start.

Start there - give it a try, then start making changes. Paint if the light walls & ceiling bug you. Sound system upgrade to 5.1/7.1/whatever... once you get going there is no stopping.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-13-2013, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

An approximate budget for the projector and screen would help.

Id like to stay under $3500 so i can buy a surround sound system as well. Was looking at the Epson 5030UB but a little weary of the lag to play video games

Jake
post #7 of 21 Old 11-13-2013, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Looks like you have a starter screen on the wall.

Ceiling mount behind the couch at whatever appropriate throw distance for the projector that you select.

Blackout drapes.

Yeah, projector, ceiling mount, and drapes might be the 3 things to get right first.

What do you have for audio? Any old stereo is a fine start.

Start there - give it a try, then start making changes. Paint if the light walls & ceiling bug you. Sound system upgrade to 5.1/7.1/whatever... once you get going there is no stopping.

yes the screen is a pull down 90" thats about 6 years old. No idea what the specs are…a friend gave it to me. Willing to upgrade that if its in the budget

Jake
post #8 of 21 Old 11-14-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

anyone else?

Jake
post #9 of 21 Old 11-14-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 268
You really have to figure out what exactly you want to achieve in this non-dedicated space.

Obviously, the room itself doesn't lend itself to a higher contrast projector unless you are going to paint and take care of the lighting. So, that's why it is being discussed first.

Blackout drapes, dark paint. The light carpet is even an issue, and should be changed or have a dark area rug near the screen to help minimize reflections.

The lights should be put on a dimmer if they aren't already, and any lights near/over the screen area, if they aren't on a separate switch, should be unscrewed so they don't interfere with the screen.

Now, a typical screen size with a 14' viewing distance is a 133" diagonal. That is typical, not large! So, you will want to do some measuring with that door in the way to find out exactly how large of a screen, with a black border, you can go up to and still have room left for speakers. I'm not sure you can even get the 133" screen in place.

You should not go with in-ceiling speakers.

You may choose to go with in-wall speakers, but they will not perform as nicely as stand alone speakers. But, you do need a spot for whatever speakers you end up using. If the screen covers the entire wall, then in-wall speakers and an acoustically transparent screen aren't a bad way to go at all.

For a projector, you have a number of choices, but when you get under $2,000 you don't see a ton of differences between models that are well reviewed such as the BenQ W1070 and the Optoma HD131x which are both sub $1,000 projectors, and the other models which cost $1,500 or so. So, if you are going to wire up the room anyway, then you might as well go for a lesser expensive model and get the wiring where you need it and save the cash. The 5030 I would expect will outperform the 131x, but not by a lot, and it won't outperform the JVC RS46. But, your space isn't dedicated and it isn't a proper theater, so how much you want to spend on a projector which can perform well, in a room that doesn't perform well is up to you.

I would focus on getting a good screen, good audio, and pair it with a cheaper, but still good, home theater projector at this time. Put a lot of thought into the wiring so you have a good upgrade path and placement flexibility, get the lighting really taken care of, get a screen which you will be happy with ten years from now, and put in audio which makes your ears happy.

The budget, you will find, is not much when the other things are taken care of, so it's good to know that the cheaper projectors will deliver a very good image already.
ben_g99 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-14-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

great advice thank you. If I went with something like the 131X but in a couple years say moved to a 503 or whatever the current model is, will the mounting / wiring have to be moved? I see people talking about certain distances and what not but I thought the projectors had manual adjustments for that?

Jake
post #11 of 21 Old 11-16-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Placing wiring in the ceiling will somewhat commit you to a certain group of projectors, which differ in throw range.

The Optomas might be better for your setup as they are longer throw and might permit placing the PJ a few feet further back (away) from the couch, which would reduce perceived fan noise. It's probably better to have the in-ceiling wiring too far back rather than too far forward.

Then there's always wireless HDMI, which is just getting started now. I would be taking a long look at that before I tore into that finished ceiling. If you do tear it down, try and get some kind of acoustic ceiling up there (with fiberglass behind it, if possible) to soak up sound.

If you're married, making that room dark (not to mention tearing up the ceiling or walls) might be an issue.
post #12 of 21 Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

since its just coming up is the wireless any good?

and what does marriage have to do with it? lol

Jake
post #13 of 21 Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADASS03SVT View Post

It would seem most females don't like a completely black room and prefer something a little less dramatic.

I have never used wireless hdmi so I can't say, though I would be surprised.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-17-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe it was a woman who first used the term "mancave" to describe this environment. With the exception of Wilma Flintstone, a "cave" is considered an evolutionary step backward. Less polite female pejoratives include "dungeon."

It doesn't have to be black -- a dark shade of anything helps a lot, especially on the ceiling. You can put a dark rug on the floor, and then choose some odd dark "stylish" color for the walls.

There are mixed reviews on built-in WHDMI. Epson has one on its 3000 series, and BenQ has it on the W1500. AT&T is making a big noise about its UVerse system, etc.
post #15 of 21 Old 11-18-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

Wireless is as good as it is.

That non-answer is brought to you by the folks which put Wi-Fi in half your devices that work half the time, but not all the time, and depending on the orbit of the moon, and hence the changing of the tides, and the position of Mercury (don't forget poor little Mercury!), you may or may not have success doing exactly what you wanted to do with your Wi-Fi signal in your home.

For some people wireless HDMI is great, works great, is awesome, is perfect, couldn't make them happier. Of course, you STILL need power at the projector, so if you are running wires anyway, why not run the right wires?

For others, wireless HDMI never worked for them, they buy five different extenders and they all fail to work even though the transmitter is 10 feet away, in the same room, and has clear line of sight.

Yes, that's the reality of wireless HDMI right now. Zero guarantees.
Quote:

WAF always matters to some people. They simply don't actually own anything or have any rights to a space of their own.

WAF: Wife Approval (or Acceptance) Factor

You say: "We'll paint this room to make it perfect for projection!"
She hears: "I will now tell him what color I get to paint that room that I will never actually go into."

For some people it is different, but more than a few 'theaters' are light colored because the man won't step up and put the room together the proper way, he's stuck doing it the woman's way. Other times, the woman is bright enough to realize that the purpose of a front projection space is to be different from the rest of the house and is supposed to be painted dark. Then, of course, you should add more lighting (on dimmers) to compensate.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #16 of 21 Old 11-19-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

LOL…..I have a great relationship with my "other half" and she knows the basement is mine.

So I think Ive decided on the Optoma HD25-LV……using the projector wizard looks like I can mount that right over the couch @ 14' (could move the couch forward a bit also) and get a 130" screen. But it also says i want a low gain screen. Is this bc this projector is bright? I figure with the two sliders I have even with some dark shades Im sure some light will still come through. Am i on the right track here?

Jake
post #17 of 21 Old 11-21-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, it's your space. Gotcha. If it was "my space" too, I would (and have):

Paint the ceiling first. Better yet, paint some acoustical tiles (flat black is best, but the darker the better) and mount them over the existing ceiling. You don't have to do the whole room -- just the area between the couch and the screen. If you're clever, you can run the cables between the seams of the acoustical tiles; the seams themselves get covered with a batten moulding of some kind (door stop, for example). Alternatively, you can use surface-mounted wireraces to conceal the cables and just run them up the walls and along the ceiling

Paint the walls a dark color, especially the wall behind the screen. Better yet, cover the walls with carpet and/or park some DIY acoustical baffles (covered with dark cloth or carpet) up against said walls. Again, just for the region between the couch and screen.

If you find that you are short on wall space for the (larger) screen size you would like, fabricate a DIY Acoustically Transparent screen (a popular activity over at the DIY Screens thread here). This frees up wall space by allowing your speakers to be placed behind the (suspended) screen. A further benefit is that now you can put your center-channel dialogue speaker smack dab in the center of the screen, just like at the theaters.

Brightness calculators are fine, but the fact is that most people like a bright image as they have come accustomed to that in their home from plasma or (horrors!) LCD displays. And once you get above, say, 120 inches, you really can't have too much brightness, especially for 3D and/or a low-gain screen (which AT screens invariably are). So, the LV is a good option for a 130-inch display, but it's not that much brighter than the others.
post #18 of 21 Old 11-24-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

looking into paint. are there any good sites for ceiling tiles w/ style?

Jake
post #19 of 21 Old 11-25-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I never thought of acoustic ceiling tiles as being "stylish." There are indeed some very artsy ceiling tiles around, but they are expensive and most are not acoustically oriented.

You might check out the USG website. Their "polar" type acoustic tile is what you'll find at Home Depot for around fifty cents per square foot. Paint it carefully -- not too thick, as you don't want to block the perforations.

Amazon lists some black acoustic tiles, and I've seen some on clearance at Depot, but they usually cost over twice as much as the Depot ones.
post #20 of 21 Old 11-25-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

think Im going to just stick with paint and maybe…maybe do carpet.

the door in the picture might be removed so i will have much more space to work with.

Jake
post #21 of 21 Old 12-01-2013, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

look alike this idea is scrapped…..going to do a dedicated theater room now. the wall in front of the couch will be knocked down and where the couch is now a wall will be put up. Will probably take me a year to finish but should be worth it. Once i start i will post up a thread

Jake
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page