Newbie - First Setup Advice (Gaming, Movies, Sports) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-13-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey Guys,

Just joined the forum but have been a long time lurker/reader. I'm looking for advice for my potentially my first projector setup.

Got a small man cave I'm working on creating a video game/theater setup for. It's approximately 13ftx12ft. I already have a 3 chair setup of theater seats. I have sound already as well but might be looking to upgrade and keep the current setup in the bedroom. It's currently Polk Monitor 70s in the front, Polk CS1 for the center, Polk Monitor 50s in the rear, Sony receiver and 10" Sub (which is in the most need of an update).

I was originally thinking about putting the theater seating directly in the middle of the room for a more true surround sound setup and getting something like a 55" LED TV. I've been exploring the idea recently of a short throw projector that could be used to achieve a 60" image with the chairs in the middle (approximately 6ft viewing distance) with the option to "slide" the chairs to the back wall and project an 80" or so image when viewed from approx. 10ft. viewing distance.

Not sure if this is a feasible idea or if I'll just pick one... But... Here are a few options I was looking at:

1. BenQ 770ST

2. BenQ 1080ST

3. Epson Power-Lite Cinema 2000

4. Optoma HD25-LV

5. Optoma HD131Xe

There seems like so many options for what I'm looking to do. I'm hoping to keep the projector under $1000 and also find a decent screen that would work nicely in the future if I decide to upgrade to a higher end projector.

Goals for this would be gaming (low lag) and movies (2D & 3D). Likely used for parties or something as well to watch Hockey and Football when I can run an HDMI cable to the room.

Any and all opinions, criticism, etc. are welcome!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 294
In a room that size, I would put the chairs towards the back of the room so your viewing distance is about 10' eyes to screen and I would be looking at options which allow for at least a 92" to 110" projection screen.

There is no reason to be putting in a 60" or 80" screen, that's not appropriate to your room size. It may be fine if you intend to sit 6' away, but sitting in the middle of the room won't do much for surround sound. Just follow standard surround sound installation guidelines with a 5.1 setup, and you will be able to achieve perfectly good surround results when sitting closer to the back of the room vs. the middle of the room. The room really is to small for a good 7.1 setup no matter what.

So, I would look at the W1070, W1080ST, and the Optoma (if it works) in your setup and skip the other two models completely.

At 10', a 'center of the theater' screen is 92". If you like sitting a bit closer in the theater than midway, then 100" to 110" is not at all inappropriate.

If this is at all a serious room, then go 1080p and skip any models which aren't 1920x1080 native resolution.

For a screen, there are tons of excellent screens out there. The cheap models from Elite are good. I've had decent luck with Focupix screens (www.htdepot.com) and I imagine the long list of cheap screens from companies like Visual Apex (VAPEX) are of similar build quality and origin (China).

For a good long term screen, my favorite brand for build quality remains Carada. It's almost as much as the projector for a screen of that quality, but worth it in the long run for their excellent support and quality commitment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards the BenQ W1080ST because of a ceiling fan. I'll have to take some more careful measurements.

The only other reason why the seating would be moved up to 6ft viewing distance would be to place a kegorator behind to have homebrew on tap ;)

Once I lock down a projector I'll likely take some advice from others in here and project onto a bed sheet or blank wall until nailing down the screen size I'll go with.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Get the Benq W1080st I have bought it to have a big screen in a small space room as well as low input lag for gaming.

So far it is doing its job and gaming is great on it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: FELONY 301

PSN ID: FELONY--301

No problem adding people...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W770st 3d Ready Dlp Projector 720p Hdtv 16 9 1280x720 Hd 720 13000 1 2500 Lumens Hdmi Usb Vga I , Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h562020 Powerlite Home Cinema 2000 1080p 3lcd Projector , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread - W1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page