Optoma 131XE vs Epson 5030UB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For a first time buyer / pj owner what are the biggest things I will actually notice between these two besides $1500? Looking to watch football, blu-rays and play some games in my basement

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Better placement flexibility, better black level. Is it worth $1500, maybe if in a fully dedicated Theater with dark walls, ceiling and floors. That's what you have to pay for those two options.
kedelbach likes this.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Hd131xe is a dlp there are advantages with it over the epson as well.... for one you dont have to worry about the polorizers going or the picture quality changing with age from lcd panels degrading. also the contrast is better on the hd131xe I believe as well as 3d and lack of possible convergence issues plus the bulb cost and life is another factor..... and I have to say my black levels are pretty damn amazing on the hd131xe....if your using for football you want a bright projector with hiigh contrast for ambient light....
post #4 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It's funny that as different as these projectors are, you are not the first I have seen debate between the 2, and in fact these are the 2 that I am debating between.

Epson pros:
Better color
More flexible placement
Cheaper 3D glasses
Darker blacks
Better warranty (2 years vs 1 year)
Better contrast ratio
Better out of the box performance
More bells and whistles
Picture in picture

Optoma pros:
Less gaming lag
Cleaner 3D image (no crosstalk)
Longer lamp life
Sharper (as long as you either don't get the soft corner issue or you if you do you send it in to get it resolved)
No worries about dust blobs
Cheaper bulbs
$1800 less
post #5 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I posted a question on on an Epson 1080UB vs. the Optoma 131xe. For me it would be about $550 difference for a new Optoma to a BNIB w/o warranty Epson. Sorry to thread hijack but I'm a newby and looking for a quick reply so I can decide. I've already bought the Optoma but can return it if needed.
post #6 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpilk View Post

I posted a question on on an Epson 1080UB vs. the Optoma 131xe. For me it would be about $550 difference for a new Optoma to a BNIB w/o warranty Epson. Sorry to thread hijack but I'm a newby and looking for a quick reply so I can decide. I've already bought the Optoma but can return it if needed.

You're a newbie so it's ok to hijack threads?
post #7 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

Hd131xe is a dlp there are advantages with it over the epson as well.... for one you dont have to worry about the polorizers going or the picture quality changing with age from lcd panels degrading. also the contrast is better on the hd131xe I believe as well as 3d and lack of possible convergence issues plus the bulb cost and life is another factor..... and I have to say my black levels are pretty damn amazing on the hd131xe....if your using for football you want a bright projector with hiigh contrast for ambient light....

Nice Try about the panels degrading but wAYYYY off the mark. The Epson uses the D7 inorganic panels. If you are going to make a recommendation PLEASE don't show your HUGH Bias. My guess is you will get a more vibrant picture for Sports from an LCD projector and it will be less colored. You also somehow failed to mention the color wheel failures or that Epson had BY FAR the best customer support in the industry!! - Bohanna
TonyG likes this.
post #8 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 05:21 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

what's it to you ? You're not the OP.
post #9 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post

Nice Try about the panels degrading but wAYYYY off the mark. The Epson uses the D7 inorganic panels. If you are going to make a recommendation PLEASE don't show your HUGH Bias. My guess is you will get a more vibrant picture for Sports from an LCD projector and it will be less colored. You also somehow failed to mention the color wheel failures or that Epson had BY FAR the best customer support in the industry!! - Bohanna
I was just making a counter comment to the first very bias sounding comment... I have no experience with faulty color wheels.... just 12 years of owning 5 dlp units.... 4 of which are still in use today... BTW some of my dlp link glasses we're $11 a pair with shipping... if you can find cheaper ones for the Epson I'd like to know?
post #10 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't really see how his comment isn't related to this topic...
post #11 of 39 Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Funny, I debated between these exact same two projectors for over a week before choosing the 131Xe about a month ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

Better placement flexibility, better black level. Is it worth $1500, maybe if in a fully dedicated Theater with dark walls, ceiling and floors. That's what you have to pay for those two options.

bingo.

I saw a 6020 (dealer model) demo in a local Houston high end store and there was so much ambient it would have looked the same if it had 1/10th the contrast ratio.
Meanwhile, I couldn't be much happier with the 131Xe. The 1990's hourglass icon during blu-ray handshaking is a niggling complaint, that's about all I can think of. The image processing is top notch IMO. Doesn't have any fancy "smoothing" logic, doesn't need it.

BTW this is my third projector since 2001, and first DLP. Neither of my previous 2 Sanyo LCDs (XW15 then Z2000, both described as having natural, "film like" images in their day) suffered any kind of panel issues with over 5000 hours of use, except for slightly less than perfect alignment from new (which was totally unnoticeable at seating distance).
Nevertheless, glad I gave DLP a try with the 131, it really looks fantastic and the extra brightness is awesome for daytime or 3D watching.
Amazing what this $750 projector does. We'll be perfectly happy with it for hopefully 5+ years, or until 4k projectors are affordable and content plentiful.
post #12 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Dont forget if you buy the optoma now...... You will still have enough money left over to buy the epson next year when they are obsolete and the price drops below $1,500..... wink.gif seriously the tech advances so quickly there a newe model every couple months....
post #13 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 AM

Liked: 20
I hope the American Epson is better than it was for me in Australia

I bought the TW9000 (5010) and the panel alignment was awful. I sent it back and they returned it after they fiddled with the alignment feature. It was even worse and on subtitles and things it was so noticeable it was annoying. Epson Australia said that it was within spec and I would have to live with it. Have a DLP now and still have the bad taste of LCD in my mouth from Epson and a big loss from having to sell it off.

Perhaps a well aligned LCD panel would be nice but you still have the lower pixel fill ratio vs the higher 80% of DLP
post #14 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

I think it says a lot about our lack of faith in the durability of the Epson that we're comparing a $750 projector with a $2600 one.
post #15 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

HMMM ??? 14 Posts and NO ONE has mentioned the RBE issues of the DLP's .. SOOoooooo lets see what we have?? A passive aggressive rap about a Projector that has inorganic panels failing from a guy who doesn't own an LCD projector. Sounds like the statement of a wannabe whos comparing his razor scooter to a Harley! - Bohanna.

BTW I have both LCD and DLP projectors. I find I like the LCD's better for my eyes! I also just became the owner of a Sony E42A10 rear screen projection TV . The unit has the OLD Organic panels and is starting to exhibit some slight panel decay. The unit has 11089 hours on it. My guess is it would go another 2000 hours before it would be come un watchable.
post #16 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think it says a lot about our lack of faith in the durability of the Epson that we're comparing a $750 projector with a $2600 one.

Durability wasn't a factor in my decision, only price vs features & PQ (gleaned from reading MANY reviews and forum posts, and demoing that 6020).
It says more about how nice a projector is available in the sub-$1000 market these days, and how much more you have to pay for "the next level" IMO.

Now if my room didn't allow a straight-on, center-of-screen placement I'd have been looking at something besides the 131Xe with lens shift and maybe a different zoom range. But it does, so I didn't have to smile.gif
post #17 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

BTW I have both LCD and DLP projectors. I find I like the LCD's better for my eyes!

This was my biggest concern coming from two previous LCD projectors. Happy to report that after ~75 hours watching neither my wife, me, or any of the 6 or 8 friends we've had over for movie night have any trouble watching the 131 on a 110" Elite screen at ~13' for up to 2 hours at a time, 2D or 3D. I've even asked people to look for anything in the picture they see as "funny" like smearing, "rainbows", etc.
3D can strain the eyes, but once you relax and not try to focus on any one part of the screen too hard the strain goes away.
post #18 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HMMM ??? 14 Posts and NO ONE has mentioned the RBE issues of DLP's

Maybe because only a small percentage of people are susceptible to RBE. That's like being scared to go outside because you might get hit by lightning. I've probably had 20 different people who had seen my previous DLP projector and not a single one mentioned seeing any RBE, and I asked.

Another thing with the 5030 that I've read is that as the bulb gets older, the crosstalk increases.
post #19 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe because only a small percentage of people are susceptible to RBE. That's like being scared to go outside because you might get hit by lightning. I've probably had 20 different people who had seen my previous DLP projector and not a single one mentioned seeing any RBE, and I asked.

Another thing with the 5030 that I've read is that as the bulb gets older, the crosstalk increases.

Bad analogy since its a larger percentage than most DLP proponents let on. Just because 20 people haven't said anything doesn't mean they haven't seen it. The FACT is that there is a race to the bottom as far as quality is concerned as electronic gadget makers try to lower the price of the latest items they are pushing out the doors. The DLP vrs LCD battle has been going on for years and it will continue to do so. In a world of throwaway projectors DLPs will sell for less because it costs less to make them. - Bohanna
post #20 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 AM

I have a Benq W10000 for 3-4 year. My whole family and none of my friend has ever complain about seeing RBE.
post #21 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Y View Post

I have a Benq W10000 for 3-4 year. My whole family and none of my friend has ever complain about seeing RBE.
It's a conspiracy. They talk about it behind your back.
post #22 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedelbach View Post

Funny, I debated between these exact same two projectors for over a week before choosing the 131Xe about a month ago.
bingo.

I saw a 6020 (dealer model) demo in a local Houston high end store and there was so much ambient it would have looked the same if it had 1/10th the contrast ratio.
Meanwhile, I couldn't be much happier with the 131Xe. The 1990's hourglass icon during blu-ray handshaking is a niggling complaint, that's about all I can think of. The image processing is top notch IMO. Doesn't have any fancy "smoothing" logic, doesn't need it.

BTW this is my third projector since 2001, and first DLP. Neither of my previous 2 Sanyo LCDs (XW15 then Z2000, both described as having natural, "film like" images in their day) suffered any kind of panel issues with over 5000 hours of use, except for slightly less than perfect alignment from new (which was totally unnoticeable at seating distance).
Nevertheless, glad I gave DLP a try with the 131, it really looks fantastic and the extra brightness is awesome for daytime or 3D watching.
Amazing what this $750 projector does. We'll be perfectly happy with it for hopefully 5+ years, or until 4k projectors are affordable and content plentiful.

I am debating between these two projectors as well. In your opinion do you feel that the optoma's pic quality was just as good as the epson? If that is the case i could save some money. Thanks for any response.
post #23 of 39 Old 11-16-2013, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's a conspiracy. They talk about it behind your back.

not a conspiracy a fact. The people who complain about the RBE are usually the actual DLP owners who start to see them in their sleep or think someone has dropped a hit or two of ACID on them! Case in point,,,, I'm sure you hear very little about the large number of CRAPPY sounding cell phones either but WE ALL talk to people with them all the time! If a 700.00 dollar projector could compete with a 2500.00 dollar one the higher priced company would be out of business in a short time. I'm not saying that the optima doesn't offer a better bang for the dollar but to compare it to the Epson in quality is quite a stretch. For what it is My Little PA70 is a nice little toy but it doesn't compete with my older SANYO's or Sonys for overall brightness and image quality- Bohanna
post #24 of 39 Old 11-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

It CAN compete, and win, in certain areas. The optoma will have the edge in sharpness, 3d, and gaming. Those are 3 big areas for some.
post #25 of 39 Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I also have not seen any issues with RBE on mine or have had anyone mention anything when I asked them about it as they were watching it. That was also my biggest concern before buying the projector, but I can happily repot that there were no issues.
post #26 of 39 Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock1213 View Post

I also have not seen any issues with RBE on mine or have had anyone mention anything when I asked them about it as they were watching it. That was also my biggest concern before buying the projector, but I can happily repot that there were no issues.
Great Nice to hear it but there are issues for some people. This is a FACT and all the doubletalk won't change this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYBurcnYx2g

Bohanna
post #27 of 39 Old 11-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Great Nice to hear it but there are issues for some people. This is a FACT and all the doubletalk won't change this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYBurcnYx2g

Bohanna

Cameras pick up things differently than our eyes do. If you record something and rewatch it you can see all sort of scan lines and other things that human eye doesn't pick up.
post #28 of 39 Old 11-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cameras pick up things differently than our eyes do. If you record something and rewatch it you can see all sort of scan lines and other things that human eye doesn't pick up.

Really??? So ALL the people who have seen the RBE and all the talk for years about this DLP problem are lying? I think its more like you refuse to see the truth and have convinced yourself that no matter WHAT the evidence is you are correct! Most people think the LCD projects more of a film like image than DLP which seems more electronic and harsher on the Eyes! Bohanna
post #29 of 39 Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really??? So ALL the people who have seen the RBE and all the talk for years about this DLP problem are lying? I think its more like you refuse to see the truth and have convinced yourself that no matter WHAT the evidence is you are correct! Most people think the LCD projects more of a film like image than DLP which seems more electronic and harsher on the Eyes! Bohanna

I didn't say that. I'm saying if I take a camcorder and record my computer and play it back I will see lines coming across it that I typically don't see. That is probably the case in that video. I have never seen RBE and there is NO way that that projector has it that bad in person unless something is damaged with it. Some people see it, that majority don't. Tough luck for the few who see it. What I can see is SDE and misconvergence.
post #30 of 39 Old 11-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Guess the same applies to this one as well??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnL8xtbjlFQ

Your capacity for denial is astounding!! You are really starting to sound like Baghdad Bob!--- Bohanna
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Sony Kdf E42a10 42 Inch Lcd Rear Projection Television
Gear in this thread - E42a10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page