If the inside of my projector is covered in black stuff, can it be anything else than cigarette smoke? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As I said in other threads, my Sharp DT-510's color wheel is failing after 7 years of daily use. I opened it to lubricate the color wheel motor which brought it back to life (but for how long?) but while I was inside I saw every part was covered in this black stuff that stains my hands if I touch it. Even parts that were obviously initially silver are now completely black.

I don't smoke but my parents often invite friends that smoke non stop for hours and they've been coming about once a week for the last few years. Could the black stuff inside my projector be something other than that smoke? If not, I'll tell them I don't want them smoking here anymore because I'd like to extend the little bit of life this projector has left as long as possible as I'd rather not upgrade now since I'm about to move and would rather get a projector based on my new location which isn't decided yet. I don't care how much it might piss them off because I'm in a very hard financial situation and I'm the one that has to pay to replace my appliances their smoke is damaging, and I can only imagine what their smoke is doing to my $3000 laserjet printer.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My sister had a Sony TV here a few years ago that died and she asked if I would look at it. I unplugged it and removed back cover and I could not believe the amount of black tar inside that tv. My sister smokes by the way. So, yes, that gunk inside your projector is due to smoking. I told my sister, after she saw the inside of her tv, that imagine what her lungs look like but she continues to smoke. frown.gif

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #3 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If the room is not humidity controlled, could it also be a mold?
post #4 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The ultra violet light from the lamp can cause any exposed plastic inside the unit to outgas, and that gas may be whats coating the inside of the projector. The workaround is to clean it off and cover exposed plastic areas with metal duct tape.

Tar leaves a yellowish, sticky substance behind.I have once opened up a plasma TV that was in a smokers home for 7 years. It had a fan in it to circulate air, and it was so yellow and covered in sticky gooey it was beyond disgusting. The only way to clean it up was with a liberal spraying of isopropyl alcohol and many paper towels.

I suspect because its black and not yellow that what you are seeing is outgassing rather than smoking.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Darkventure is correct. its not just the ultralight light its the heat in general that the lamp puts out as well. If it were from smoking the projector would smell like a dirty ashtray. - Bohanna
post #6 of 7 Old 11-19-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The black stuff is on parts where the light would never reach, for example the entire underside of the projector's cover is covered in this black stuff. The stuff also stains hands if touched (my hands were dark black after playing around in it).

It rarely gets humid in the room so I don't see how it could be mold.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post

The black stuff is on parts where the light would never reach, for example the entire underside of the projector's cover is covered in this black stuff. The stuff also stains hands if touched (my hands were dark black after playing around in it).

It rarely gets humid in the room so I don't see how it could be mold.

Look around the light chamber and I bet some of the Bakalite type parts surrounding the Lamp are now grey. Another thought is do you have a wood stove or something that might have cause soot to make its way VIA air vents into the projector?? - Bohanna
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page