Projector help on possible BenQ w1080st - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-21-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok, the construction on my HT is coming to completion. I'm ready for equipment. Since I'm buying it all I can't afford high end of everything. So I'm trying to pick a projector. My theater is 11'10" W x 17'10" L, but only 6'11" high, 100% light controlled, wired for 7.2 sound. I'm looking for screen size of 110-120". I was looking at BenQ W1070 or W1080st. Thinking the short throw would be better due to low ceiling, thus keeping heads out of the way. However, with lack of lens shift, I'm not sure if it will cause issues. I need screen to be right at top of ceiling as center channel will be beneath the screen externally. Any thoughts or recommendations?

If there is another projector that would meet my needs I'm open to all suggestions.

Black Friday deals?

also asking about receivers and speakers:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500972/receiver-help-onkyo-818-or-denon-x4100#post_23979860

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1501036/what-speakers-suggestions

thanks,

Truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-21-2013, 09:27 PM

Liked: 10
I am not sure why you are concerned with lens shift. I have the w1080st and 120" screen. The pj is ~6.5 feet from screen and the drop from center lens to top of screen is ~ 1 inch. Sounds like that works for your setup. Having the pj close to the screen does eliminate viewers crossing path of light, but be aware that light leakage and sound can be issues. I got the 1080st for 3d viewing, but also have a Mits hc4000 mounted at 15 feet from screen for 2d viewing. Each has its advantage and disadvantages based on their location. As far as receivers, I am partial to Onkyo, have the 609 and very happy with it.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I was concerned with ceiling that low I couldn't get image angled correctly to be on top edge of the wall. I wanted to hear from folks that had one if I would be okay or it would be an issue. Sounds like from your experience I'm good to go. Now to look for a good sale!!

Truck
post #4 of 6 Old 11-22-2013, 08:39 AM

Liked: 10
If you have any question about positioning, you should use the projector calculator pro over at the projectorcentral website. The drop is about 1 inch, but then you will need to add the distance the mount will hang the pj from the ceiling.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-22-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 283
With the projector on a tight mount to the ceiling - about 3" or so of stack height, plus the height of the projector to the center of the lens, call it 6" total, the top of the image will be 7" from your ceiling.

A cheap screen ill have a black border that's about 3" wide, so that means the actual top of your screen will be 3" from the ceiling.

A 120" screen is about 5' tall, add 6" for the screen border and 3" for the space above the top of the screen, and that means that between the floor and the bottom of the screen you have 1'2". That's not a lot of space, but it's certainly enough to put a center channel on a low speaker stand which is angled up to the listeners. It also is not at all the wrong place to put the screen and the center channel.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-22-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hey all I just wanted to say thank you for the advise and help. I ended up with the W1080ST. I hope to be installing over the holidays. Will let ya'll know how it works out.

Truck
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - W1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page