Optoma H131XE / DH1011 - focus at the edges. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-21-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These projectors look pretty compeling at the price point. I was however concerned with what Ive read regarding soft focus on the edges of the image. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
It goes like this:

1. You buy it.
2. You see if you have sharp focus at all corners.
3. If you do, ship it off to Optoma to have them repair it. (Takes 5 to 7 business days from when they receive it to ship it back to you.)
4. ???
5. Profit.

Or something like that...

Anyhow, I had the focus issue with my HD131Xe and I did the above. Now everything, middle and all four corners, is sharp.

I wouldn't recommend trying to exchange the projector at the place you bought it if you've got soft focus on one of the corners. I really think either there was a bad batch of these projectors Optoma made or ALL of them suffer from the issue to a varying degree and Optoma is just fixing the ones that people complain about.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #3 of 11 Old 11-22-2013, 05:43 AM

Liked: 13
I just opened up and tested my new HD131XE a few hours ago and hooked up HDMI to my Windows 7 PC to test for the corners issue.

It was an easy test. When clock and systray are sharp(bottom right), Google Chrome tab text and buttons(Top left) are not and vice versa. I hate having to send it in, but it's just too noticeable when I'm on my PC. I have a feeling that lots of people are keeping them despite having the issue, because to tell you the truth on anything BUT Windows, I can't tell the issue is there, even concentrating on each corner. The overall picture is something special though for the pricepoint, even on my temporary white sheet screen, so I'm going to be patient with Optoma and send it in this morning.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

It goes like this:

1. You buy it.
2. You see if you have sharp focus at all corners.
3. If you do, ship it off to Optoma to have them repair it. (Takes 5 to 7 business days from when they receive it to ship it back to you.)
4. ???
5. Profit.

Or something like that...

Anyhow, I had the focus issue with my HD131Xe and I did the above. Now everything, middle and all four corners, is sharp.

I wouldn't recommend trying to exchange the projector at the place you bought it if you've got soft focus on one of the corners. I really think either there was a bad batch of these projectors Optoma made or ALL of them suffer from the issue to a varying degree and Optoma is just fixing the ones that people complain about.
Even though you were harsh about it thank you very much I was able to contact up optoma they were very willing and ready to handle the issue, this projector is leaps and bounds above the acer H6510BD,
P.s.
If what I read on the net is correct, optoma ViewSonic and Acer do not make their own projectors But they have them made by different electronics manufacturers overseas,
I know at one point with ViewSoni had a projector that was made by several different companies as the contract changed that it took them five days just to figure out which electronics were inside and on the board to know where to purchase them from to replace them. I (assume) optoma ordered their projectors found out there was an issue, the manufacturer discounted it and now Optoma fixes the issue in house, however I have no idea so it's great theory at best lol.
I like to call repair places before I buy a product and ask them questions about common items that break on A company specific products I might buy.
I got the ViewSonic info from a TV video repair company that repaired projectors as well.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the observations. So check this out, the other day I met an Optoma rep at a show who recommended the DH1011 at a similar price point. She knew I wanted a home theater proj and she never even mentioned the HD131Xe. The DH1011 is "marketed" not as a home theater projector but as a Mainstream Data Projector. Id bet money THAT one does not have focus issues. rolleyes.gif
post #6 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 05:19 AM

I just purchased a DH1011.  It is a fantastic projector for the price point ($695 on Amazon.com) for full 1080p 3D!  The one thing I did notice was the "soft focus" issue as stated above.  When I focused on the center, the edges were blurry and when I focused on the bottom right, the top left was definitely blurry.  I sent my projector back to Optoma and it only took them 2 days to fix.  I am now eagerly awaiting my projector which is in the mail now.  I will update when the projector returns to confirm that the focus uniformity issue was fixed.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-07-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Barkena,

A quick follow-up on above. Did you get the focus issue on the DH1011 resolved to your satisfaction?

I am very interested in buying the DH1011 and also using it for watching movies in a home theater. Can you please share your experiences on the DH1011 as a movie projector ? e.g. RBE, color accuracy, black levels, anything else you notice (good as well as bad), etc

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by jilebi; 07-07-2014 at 01:47 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 PM

Liked: 0
well done,trying to exchange the projector at the place you bought it if you've got soft focus on one of the corners. I really think either there was a bad batch of these projectors Optoma made or ALL of them suffer from the issue to a varying degree and Optoma is just fixing the ones that people complain about.[IMG]http://*******/Prn9DS[/IMG]
post #9 of 11 Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 AM

Talking

jilebi,

Regarding your comment:

A quick follow-up on above. Did you get the focus issue on the DH1011 resolved to your satisfaction?

I am very interested in buying the DH1011 and also using it for watching movies in a home theater. Can you please share your experiences on the DH1011 as a movie projector ? e.g. RBE, color accuracy, black levels, anything else you notice (good as well as bad), etc

I did get the focus issue fixed! I sent the projector back to Optoma and had it back within a week or so. I am extremely satisfied and pleased with the purchase! I would recommend this projector for anyone who wants to get a 3000 lumen 1080P 3D projector at a great price! It is without a doubt the best bang for your buck! I had a BenQ mp723 before (720P) and this projector blows it away in every aspect. The color accuracy is very good as well as the black levels are nice. I use the projector primarily for watching movies and gaming and even my wife who is not as techy as I am noticed a drastic improvement over our previous projector! The 3D is also amazing as well. I purchased SainSonic 3D glasses from Amazon.com and they work great with this projector! I really have no complaints and I have recommended it to all who have asked about it and experienced it in my home theater! Hope that helps!
post #10 of 11 Old 07-08-2014, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi barkena,

Thanks for the detailed response! I do appreciate it.

It is quite interesting to read your comments that you find the colors to be accurate and the black levels good. The reason is that I was reading on this forum that 'business' class projectors like DH1011 have a white segment in the color wheel which just bumps up the lumens, but washing out the colors in the process as well as greying out the black levels.

Do you mind sharing the size of your screen and the distance from projector to screen? I am curious on how much foot-lambert of brightness you have.

Also, have you had a chance to compare the colors and black levels of movie content on DH1011, with other similar 'home theater' class Optoma projectors like the HD25e or HD25-LV? If they are similar, then that would be simply outstanding.

Thanks again!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-09-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am intersted in this as well. Comparing the optoma lineup and everything seems so similar. Choosing between dh1011 and the hd131xe and i cant see a difference besides lumen output.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Dh1011 Hd 1080p 3000 Ansi Lumens Full 3d Multimedia Projector , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page