ViewSonic PRO9000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Another member, rgtaa, suggested creating a thread dedicated to the ViewSonic PRO9000, and as a new owner, I thought this would be a fine idea. Most of this post is quoted from my original posts in the 1080p led thread.

As an owner of an aging Infocus IN72 (480p bulb), I knew I wanted a 1080p LED or laser/LED projector, and I learned quite a lot from this thread, thus boiling my personal choices down to:

a. wait for the LG PF85U

b. wait for the Optoma HD91

c. get the ViewSonic Pro9000 now.

Then, while mulling over these options, the IN72 bulb died, rendering further deliberation moot, and I'm now happy to have pulled the trigger on the ViewSonic. But I think the LG would have been not bright enough and with focus issues. And the plastic lens was not worth waiting for. The Optoma would probably have been a stellar rig, but it's too pricey for me.

First impressions are wonderful. It's bright and sharp. Needless to say it beats the pants off of my old IN72, may she RIP. It's not too loud, and it starts up and shuts down quickly. I watched a little bit of the Perrin Brothers' film Microcosmos (netflix stream), and it looks wonderfully crisp. And I still get to avoid having a 50in flat panel perpetually dominate the living room in my little house. I'm happy, and it's more than good enough for me. Maybe I spent a little more than I'd planned (at $1754 on Amazon), but I have no regrets at this point. 

I think that the bar I set for my gear is pretty low compared to the discerning types that make up a lot of the readership on this site. I can tell you that I'm very content with the move, seeing as my daughter and friend are having a sleepover and currently having a ball watching Planes. Maybe one day I'll get to watch some old Kieslowski.

Cheers,

Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 12-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I too got tired of waiting for the PF85U and after reading a number of reviews of the Viewsonic decided to take the plunge. Mine arrives tomorrow - I'll report back.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest -'Oh, no, they say he's got to go' or 'The man in the rubber directors suit':
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-mov...l#post24741865
post #3 of 64 Old 12-26-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The 3 year warranty is good, I'm not entirely sold on the 20,000 hour jargon. Sure the less might last that long, but what of everything else.

But 2k for a darkchip3 dlp? Almost a 10 year old chip in there.
post #4 of 64 Old 12-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Amazon couldn't come through on my weekend delivery for the beamer. I hope to get my paws on it tomorrow...

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest -'Oh, no, they say he's got to go' or 'The man in the rubber directors suit':
post #5 of 64 Old 12-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Only got a couple hours with this projector. Nice case. Fan noise is ok on high - very good on low. Throw distance is about what I thought. I'm about 15 feet to screen, so it should work for me. Pic is very DLP smooth to my eyes. Pretty impressed with it - better than I expected. Decent blacks. Good whites. There is a touch of the old green/magenta on the ends of an all white screen, but, it's not a deal breaker. Expected quick on and off. Takes a few seconds to lock signal when you change TV channels sometimes. Great to have a beamer you can just turn on and leave on for as long as you want. It's just ok during the daytime, lumen-wise, but this is definitely an all night Blu-ray/TV/video game party.

post #6 of 64 Old 01-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Some more thoughts on this beamer now that I've had it for a while.

I'm seriously considering opening up the remote and switching those two on/off buttons. In what universe is it logical to have red mean on and green off?!

Examples - Stop your projector from being off by pushing the RED button, or, go ahead and quit having fun by pushing the green button?!

The fan noise does not really seem to change between Eco and high mode. It remains a bit below average than the projectors I've had before.

I saw the Viewsonic referred to as "garbage" in the PF85U thread. Even without my Darbee kicking it up a couple notches this is one smooth DLP-like picture.
I have had over 5 different beamers and this one is right up there with the best. Not in contrast ratio/black level maybe, but, for an entry level LED it's impressive. Zoom and lens shift became non issues for me as I just threw it up on my high rear wall mount and it lined up almost perfectly with my 110" screen. It even seems more HDMI friendly and plays nice with my Denon, PS4, and Monoprice HDMI over Cat6.

post #7 of 64 Old 01-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

So, I got to thinking - since I have this high power screen with it's directional light properties - I have to bring this sucker down from the rear upper wall for the old plop-it-on-the-coffee-table-routine. Wow. The punch and brightness of this angle makes all the difference (near 100" LCD TV in the dark difference.) A side benefit is the dispersal of the fan noise in all directions as opposed to it bouncing off the rear wall/ceiling and down to me. Yeah, it's 'the thing on the coffee table', so forget WAF, kids, pets, etc, but totally worth it for those with a HP screen.

post #8 of 64 Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Hi,

I would like to use the ViewSonic Pro9000 for projection onto a dome. For this it need to be able to focus on a distance of 0.7 to 1 meter. Can one of you tell me if this is possible? And what is the smallest picture size at that distance?

Also I would like to know if the ViewSonic Pro9000 has a gaming mode for low latency.

Any information is very welcome.
post #9 of 64 Old 01-17-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Nowknown: with you on the red and green buttons - to turn on, find the button that you intuitively want to press, and then choose the opposite.

Cor: quote from the pro9000 user manual (available on the manufacturer product page): "Game: Increase the brightness and response time level for enjoying video 
games."

post #10 of 64 Old 01-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor Jansen View Post

Hi,

I would like to use the ViewSonic Pro9000 for projection onto a dome. For this it need to be able to focus on a distance of 0.7 to 1 meter. Can one of you tell me if this is possible? And what is the smallest picture size at that distance?

Also I would like to know if the ViewSonic Pro9000 has a gaming mode for low latency.

Any information is very welcome.
At one meter it focuses on an image 28 1/4" long by 16" high. There is a gaming mode.

post #11 of 64 Old 01-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esjuhn View Post

Nowknown: with you on the red and green buttons - to turn on, find the button that you intuitively want to press, and then choose the opposite.

This is my ongoing learning response to this counterintuitive-ness, but, I would like to open up the remote and just switch them. There are no screws on it - just a seam. Should I risk just prying it open?

post #12 of 64 Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

I think if it bugs you enough, you should go for it - the worst that's likely to happen is you'll break a closure tab or two, but that could be remedied by super glue. Personally I think i'll just try to get  used to it, but two months later it's still not normal.

post #13 of 64 Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post

This is my ongoing learning response to this counterintuitive-ness, but, I would like to open up the remote and just switch them. There are no screws on it - just a seam. Should I risk just prying it open?
I will track down the Viewsonic tech who designed this and pry him open and replace his eyes with the red and green remote buttons 'Coraline' style!

post #14 of 64 Old 02-05-2014, 03:43 AM

majority of the reviews hit on this vs model being harsh on it for the following main reasons

1 - Average blacks
2 - No 3d
3 - LED hate (in general)
4 - not worth the above due to near 3000$ price

now considering that the price is almost half at 1800$ in sale, the long life of an LED would be an advantage at such low price and even the optoma hd91 is almost 3k$. 3D is a major issue, but still, at half the price ta the time of reviews, wouldnt the review score now change drastically?

its a 3k$ LED at 1.8k $ price... FHsake..
post #15 of 64 Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhan_ds View Post

majority of the reviews hit on this vs model being harsh on it for the following main reasons

1 - Average blacks
2 - No 3d
3 - LED hate (in general)
4 - not worth the above due to near 3000$ price

now considering that the price is almost half at 1800$ in sale, the long life of an LED would be an advantage at such low price and even the optoma hd91 is almost 3k$. 3D is a major issue, but still, at half the price ta the time of reviews, wouldnt the review score now change drastically?

its a 3k$ LED at 1.8k $ price... FHsake..
Having owned this for a month, I can say that all that hating is complete crap. LED projectors are a gamer changer. No more watching the clock - just crank it up for hours like a water faucet whenever you feel like it. The blacks are fine for a mid price beamer (one of the most experienced screen guys on AVS has stated that blacks are actually over-rated - higher end projectors excel at them, but, crush the darks and lose detail.) If you like DLP you will like this unit. The firmware and colors are FINE. I do wish it had horizontal keystone adjustment and a longer zoom.

post #16 of 64 Old 02-05-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Some more thoughts on this beamer now that I've had it for a while.

I'm seriously considering opening up the remote and switching those two on/off buttons. In what universe is it logical to have red mean on and green off?!

In a universe where red = danger and green = safe. Its quite common to use red to signify that a mains powered device is on in industrial equipment, only in the consumer world has it been switched so that red is off and green is on. I grant you though that as the consumer world has adopted Green for On and Red for off the buttons do seem a bit illogical.
post #17 of 64 Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

In a universe where red = danger and green = safe. Its quite common to use red to signify that a mains powered device is on in industrial equipment, only in the consumer world has it been switched so that red is off and green is on. I grant you though that as the consumer world has adopted Green for On and Red for off the buttons do seem a bit illogical.
He's one of THEM...GGAAAAHHHH!! Come with me if you want to live, I'll be back, Keellifornia, and such. smile.gif

post #18 of 64 Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhan_ds View Post

even the optoma hd91 is almost 3k$
???
Quote:

You must be working in a very unusual industry if you ever seen an industial where the On button is red. In all that I've seen the Off button is red, so that it could easily be found in case an urgent stop is needed.
post #19 of 64 Old 02-06-2014, 04:42 AM

See: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rocker-switches/0419766/
Also http://www.123rf.com/photo_11348884_on-off-switch-illustration.html

It is not unusual in the industry in which I work to see a Red On button. Its all about safety. If safe means on then a button could be green but if on means potential danger to the user the on button may be red. It may be that on the projector the manufacturer felt that on was potentially a shock hazard (changing a bulb for example) for the end user so used Red for On and Green for off.
post #20 of 64 Old 02-06-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:

So, I got to thinking - since I have this high power screen with it's directional light properties - I have to bring this sucker down from the rear upper wall for the old plop-it-on-the-coffee-table-routine. Wow. The punch and brightness of this angle makes all the difference (near 100" LCD TV in the dark difference.) A side benefit is the dispersal of the fan noise in all directions as opposed to it bouncing off the rear wall/ceiling and down to me. Yeah, it's 'the thing on the coffee table', so forget WAF, kids, pets, etc, but totally worth it for those with a HP screen.

could you describe the room dimensions and distance of PJ from the screen at table? also , did you now have to center the PJ with the center of screen? or level with the screen bottom like an ST Pj.? did your screen size change ?

another q,

how much difference do you feel in contrasts and brightness with closer placement? your lcd example didnot give me a clear idea..
post #21 of 64 Old 02-07-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:

See: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rocker-switches/0419766/
Also http://www.123rf.com/photo_11348884_on-off-switch-illustration.html

It is not unusual in the industry in which I work to see a Red On button. Its all about safety. If safe means on then a button could be green but if on means potential danger to the user the on button may be red. It may be that on the projector the manufacturer felt that on was potentially a shock hazard (changing a bulb for example) for the end user so used Red for On and Green for off.
And what's that industry, may I ask? BTW, there are no buttons at your links. I would have thought a person working in the industry would at least be knowledgeable enough to tell a button form a switch. See https://www.google.com/search?q=Double+push-button&num=100&newwindow=1&safe=off&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X

Do I need to say more? You can, of course persist in your point that "only in the consumer world has it been switched [from the world of industry] so that red is off and green is on", only problem is it clearly contradicts the reality, at least in relation to buttons.
post #22 of 64 Old 02-07-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-2Admirer View Post

And what's that industry, may I ask? BTW, there are no buttons at your links. I would have thought a person working in the industry would at least be knowledgeable enough to tell a button form a switch. See https://www.google.com/search?q=Double+push-button&num=100&newwindow=1&safe=off&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X

Do I need to say more? You can, of course persist in your point that "only in the consumer world has it been switched [from the world of industry] so that red is off and green is on", only problem is it clearly contradicts the reality, at least in relation to buttons.

The Power industry.

Fair comment, my "only in the consumer world" comment is clearly incorrect. I could have sworn I had seen Green Off, Red on but apparently not since 1997. I guess I am losing it! eek.gif

I do know the difference between a button and a switch though. A button is the interface between the switch contacts and the user to be strictly accurate and all switches except rotary types have buttons.

We do seem to have got ourselves into a very confusing situation with these colours though colours. If you see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWmIA5GGeFQ you will notice that the indicator just above the green "Push to Close" button that energises the system shows green when open (meaning safe) and Ellie pushes a green button and the indicator changes to Red when closed meaning On. So red is danger but you push a red button to open the contactor to make it safe! Not very logical in my opinion but still...
post #23 of 64 Old 02-08-2014, 01:30 AM

The point is a) neither of two devices at your links has what I would call a button and b) like it or not, it's a standard for industrial equipment to have the Off button colored red (the On button can be of several colors, usually black or green).

Either that or Google and myself are part of one big conspiracy to hide the abundance of the red On buttons from the general population.
post #24 of 64 Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 AM

regarding the Red for Off comment, yes I get that, I made a mistake as I said above so it really isn't necessary to reiterate this point but you seem to require some sort of endorsement for your point of view so here you go:- You were right and I was wrong. Well done you!
post #25 of 64 Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

My setup:

Chromecast/Roku/OTA DTV box

ViewHD HDMI video-audio signal splitter

Nyrius Aries wireless HDMI

Parasound pld1500

Mackie HR824

ViewSonic pro9000

Elite Screens F100XWH

I mounted the unit to the underside of a high bookshelf (I think it's about 6.5ft high). I drilled 3 holes in the wooden shelf, which is removable from the bookcase, and used three 3mm screws of the kind specified in the manual. It was a little tricky making sure that the holes drilled in the shelf lined up perfectly with the threaded holes in the projector. My method was essentially a stencil. I marked the four rubber feet and the three screw holes with a blue marker, and then stamped a sheet of cardboard with blue markings. I then taped the stencil to the shelf and drilled three holes right into the markings. I used the markings from the four rubber feet to orient the stencil on the shelf.

I couldn't be happier with the inverted mount. Compared to a low coffee table setup, there's much less unpleasant beaming in the face. 

I'm thinking about nixing the wireless video, and simply relocating the hifi so that it's adjacent to the projector. I'd need to send audio to the speakers across the room by running XLR under the floorboards. For now, what I have is fine, but the wireless HDMI setup sometimes loses connectivity, requiring me to power cycle the transmitter or receiver to re-establish the connection. It's been fairly reliable though, and rarely requires rebooting.

post #26 of 64 Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 PM

Liked: 12

I've just bought a barely used PRO9000 for merely 500€ (~1500€ for a new one). Good deal?

Next up, i need a proper screen and ceiling mount. Getting a regular D-Screen (gain 1.0) with a diagonal of about ~80" (~2m). Can't wait for my first projector to arrive :D

post #27 of 64 Old 02-15-2014, 01:31 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 281

Is there a way to position the lens like lens shift?

post #28 of 64 Old 02-15-2014, 07:21 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Is there a way to position the lens like lens shift?

there is no lense shift. only 1-1.2 zoom

post #29 of 64 Old 02-18-2014, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post

I've just bought a barely used PRO9000 for merely 500€ (~1500€ for a new one). Good deal?

Next up, i need a proper screen and ceiling mount. Getting a regular D-Screen (gain 1.0) with a diagonal of about ~80" (~2m). Can't wait for my first projector to arrive :D

I'm biased because I like mine and I paid full price, $1754 plus a $200 Amazon gift card, but I think that's a great deal.

post #30 of 64 Old 02-18-2014, 09:15 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post

there is no lense shift. only 1-1.2 zoom

Unfortunately that won't work for me bummer! Are there any thorough reviews of this projector?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro9000 Home Theater Dlp Projector , Optoma Hd91 Full Led 1080p Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page