Epson 3010 - Fluttering Brightness - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just noticed a "fluttering" brightness issue with my Epson 3010. That's about the best way I can describe it. It's fairly subtle but bothersome nonetheless. The lamp has about 1,400 hours on it. My first thought was lamp life but I would think as the lamp aged the brightness would gradually dim....not flutter about. Has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Do you have your iris turned on?
If yes, try turning it off.

You could also try removing the lamp and reseating it.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Do you have your iris turned on?
If yes, try turning it off.

You could also try removing the lamp and reseating it.

One of the first things I did after I bought it was turn the auto iris off. I'll check that it is still off when I get home. I hope that's it but somehow I don't think it is. This is a very random, rapid fluttering. I'll try reseating the lamp too.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This may be a case of bulb flicker. Try running the bulb in high for a while, maybe a whole movie, and then returning to eco. See if that helps. Fairly common for bulbs.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:00 PM

Liked: 10
I have been noticing the same thing on my 3010. I have had it about 2 years and I have about 1600 hours on it. If I am on Cinema - Eco.

If I change the color setting to a higher output like "Living Room" for about 10 seconds and then drop back down to Cinema the shimmering / fluttering brightness goes away.

This happens pretty much all the time now if I start the projector in Cinema - Eco. Sort of annoying. I am hoping for a better solution than cycling the brightness setting.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am curious if anyone has a solution or workaround for this issue.

I am also getting this 'fluttering' in ECO mode...it briefly goes away when I change the power consumption to 'normal' and go back. However it's pretty annoying. I am hoping for a better solution. Does removing the lamp and resetting work?

I also have a blue glow on the bottom right corner of the screen. Projector is under 1000 hours old.

Aside from that it's a great projector.

Any ideas?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
My advice is to go to full power mode and leave it there. You are getting intermitting arcing in the lamp chamber. This happens when breaking in a lamp or when the gap has reached the point where it doesn't arc like it should. You may also want to use the high altitude mode if you have it and see what happens - Bohanna
Old 01-27-2014, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the response.

I tried using it on 'high altitude' and nothing really happened, when I switched it back off the fluttering temporarily stopped.

I usually use it on 'normal', however lately I have just been going on 'ECO' to keep the projector running quieter.

Any ideas regarding the blue glow on the bottom right corner of the screen? It's much worse when the projector turns on, but it remains present all the time. Its very noticeable while watching a black and white film or if there is a lot of red/yellow in the shot. It has only been like this for 2-3 weeks (projector is 6 moths old)

cheers 

Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

I just noticed a "fluttering" brightness issue with my Epson 3010. That's about the best way I can describe it. It's fairly subtle but bothersome nonetheless. The lamp has about 1,400 hours on it. My first thought was lamp life but I would think as the lamp aged the brightness would gradually dim....not flutter about. Has anyone else had this issue?

I see the same problem on my 1600 hr old bulb in Eco mode, iris off. Did you try the suggestions here? Did they work four you? I need to try next time I see it,
Old 04-28-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
As was stated by someone else, put the lamp on high output also called Normal by some manufacture. Leave it on high/normal for about 50 hours of use. Then switch back to eco and see if your problem is gone. The lamp is a high pressure arc lamp. High voltage jumps from one electrode to another which causes light. On low the electrode can wear in a U shape leaving two high points on what should be a flat electrode. Rather than one arc, you are getting 2 arcs that come from the high points causing the flicker. LEAVING it on high for 50 hours should burn off the high spots and when you switch back to eco should be flicker free for a good while.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

As was stated by someone else, put the lamp on high output also called Normal by some manufacture. Leave it on high/normal for about 50 hours of use. Then switch back to eco and see if your problem is gone. The lamp is a high pressure arc lamp. High voltage jumps from one electrode to another which causes light. On low the electrode can wear in a U shape leaving two high points on what should be a flat electrode. Rather than one arc, you are getting 2 arcs that come from the high points causing the flicker. LEAVING it on high for 50 hours should burn off the high spots and when you switch back to eco should be flicker free for a good while.

great post for the technically inclined, which i am. Thanks a lot, will try that.

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020